Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

APM

Tyrone have beaten a 14-man Donegal and Division 4 Cavan.  Their last game before that was against Kerry who scored 6 goals past them.  Monaghan won't score 4 goals on Sunday but they might get two.  They didn't get any the last time they played Tyrone.

Monaghan were desperately open at the back against Armagh and the same against Donegal in the league, conceding 20 points in each. Tyrone won't be as open as Armagh were and therefore Monaghan cannot be allowing them the chances to waltz up the field and score points under zero pressure.  I think they can play more defensive football if the game demands it.

Tyrone are favourites and the pressure is off Monaghan.  There is something about them this year - a bit of the good, the bad, and the ugly! Some great forward play, scoring goals for fun; pulling games out of the fire; playing poorly and still winning and a bit of gamesmanship / cuteness where its needed.  I think they'll do it.

Schkite

Monaghan don't have a good record against Tyrone in Croke Park, it's no secret, but at the same time Monaghan beat Tyrone the last 2 times they met in Ulster. The Croke Park factor is probably a bigger thing in this case, but from reading some of the previews and predictions, you'd swear Tyrone have beat them every year the last decade.

Alot of the national media is very one-sided in the analysis it seems also, alot of talk about how Tyrone can be contenders and building up their chances against Kerry/Dublin, but I think they're way off that tbh. Their attacking options are being lauded, while ignoring the Monaghan attack being as prolific as ever, with more goals being scored as I can remember. Practically every player on the pitch is comfortable at taking a score at this stage. Most of the Monaghan analysis is negative, based around how open we are at the back - that part is true tbf, but this has also been the case for Tyrone and Donegal this year - they've been giving up loads of chances this year. I certainly wouldn't be expecting a repeat of the Armagh performance for Monaghan, but I'd say they'd fancy their chances of taking a couple of goal chances.

All in all I think it's fair enough for Tyrone to be marginal favorites, but there's not nearly as much in it as some people would have you believe. It could well come down to who can keep a clean sheet, or take more goal chances. We've been getting plenty of practice in terms of scoring goals this year, but we'll definitely need to shore up the defence if we want to win. Not easy, but very doable.

Whoever the winner is, I wouldn't fancy their chances against Kerry at all tbh. Neither team is tight enough at the back to hold out against that attack.

rrhf

Which makes the Kerry game absolutely irrelevant and this game absolutely stand alone important. It is an Ulster final on its own merits between the best 2 teams in Ulster this year and on Saturday there will be nobody looking or caring at what Kerry are bringing in the semi final.. From a Tyrone perspective it feels like the 80s/ 90s all over again.  Unless you are an eejit this game is 50/50 on the day and is all about the Anglo Celt cup, both teams are playing great football and if anything Monaghan are the more settled and steady team. But sure we will give it a lash....

Wildweasel74

Tyrone have always had the edge over Monaghan in croke Park. I see no different this wkend

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 29, 2021, 05:29:20 PM
Tyrone have always had the edge over Monaghan in croke Park. I see no different this wkend

Under Mickey Harte they had.

Four provincial winners of Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone has that ever happened before? The last 2 times Monaghan won Ulster the other 3 provincial winners was Dublin, Kerry, Mayo.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

The main basis for a lot of  the predictions is that Tyrone will win because they always beat Monaghan in Croke Park. But how many times have they actually played each other there in championship, it can't have actually been that many. I remember the infamous Cavanagh rugby tackle on McManus to save the match for Tyrone and the semi final win in 2018 when Monaghan missed a few chances at the death but I don't recall many others. If there were others they can't be all that relevant to the current teams. I think Monaghan are being largely written off in this match by the media which will suit them just fine.   

tyrone08

Quote from: Schkite on July 29, 2021, 01:29:07 PM
Monaghan don't have a good record against Tyrone in Croke Park, it's no secret, but at the same time Monaghan beat Tyrone the last 2 times they met in Ulster. The Croke Park factor is probably a bigger thing in this case, but from reading some of the previews and predictions, you'd swear Tyrone have beat them every year the last decade.

Alot of the national media is very one-sided in the analysis it seems also, alot of talk about how Tyrone can be contenders and building up their chances against Kerry/Dublin, but I think they're way off that tbh. Their attacking options are being lauded, while ignoring the Monaghan attack being as prolific as ever, with more goals being scored as I can remember. Practically every player on the pitch is comfortable at taking a score at this stage. Most of the Monaghan analysis is negative, based around how open we are at the back - that part is true tbf, but this has also been the case for Tyrone and Donegal this year - they've been giving up loads of chances this year. I certainly wouldn't be expecting a repeat of the Armagh performance for Monaghan, but I'd say they'd fancy their chances of taking a couple of goal chances.

All in all I think it's fair enough for Tyrone to be marginal favorites, but there's not nearly as much in it as some people would have you believe. It could well come down to who can keep a clean sheet, or take more goal chances. We've been getting plenty of practice in terms of scoring goals this year, but we'll definitely need to shore up the defence if we want to win. Not easy, but very doable.

Whoever the winner is, I wouldn't fancy their chances against Kerry at all tbh. Neither team is tight enough at the back to hold out against that attack.

Spot on. Very little in it and who ever wins will unfortunately be no match for kerry. I said at the start of the year under the new management tyrone should aim for winning ulster. If they do that I will be delighted. People are getting a bit too caught up in tyrone attacking options when they in reality can't seem to score goals. While the defence leaks goals in most games.

skeog

Banty is playing it low key no media interviews unlike before.55/50 game and whoever wins will provide Kerry with a stiff enough task imo.

bigfrank

What's the story with stout in Dublin at the weekend,asking for a friend 😉 will you be able to get a beer before the game in the usual places,in a beer garden or something??? Will the bars in croke park be open,had read somewhere online that they wouldn't be....

scout

Was asking this question myself. Will be down in Dublin, and don't have a ticket right now, so looking somewhere that'd be showing it outdoor.

Schkite

Quote from: bigfrank on July 29, 2021, 06:35:12 PM
What's the story with stout in Dublin at the weekend,asking for a friend 😉 will you be able to get a beer before the game in the usual places,in a beer garden or something??? Will the bars in croke park be open,had read somewhere online that they wouldn't be....

They weren't open for the Connacht final anyway, doubt it'll be any different this weekend

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: scout on July 29, 2021, 06:47:27 PM
Was asking this question myself. Will be down in Dublin, and don't have a ticket right now, so looking somewhere that'd be showing it outdoor.

Most pubs will be open fully this coming weekend, but you may need proof of vaccination. There won't be an issue finding a pub showing the game, including outside.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

I think 'wet pubs' opened up fully on Monday past in the south with proof of vaccination. Not sure if this will include inside the stadium or not.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on July 29, 2021, 08:17:37 PM
I think 'wet pubs' opened up fully on Monday past in the south with proof of vaccination. Not sure if this will include inside the stadium or not.

Yes, in theory they 'could', but a lot weren't ready due to staff shortages, etc., in practice. Doesn't look like either food or drink, however, will be available in Croke this coming weekend.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...