Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 23, 2021, 10:49:39 AM
Quote from: tiempo on July 23, 2021, 09:34:44 AM
Disappointed the final has been put in Croke. Ulster final belongs in Ulster, there are enough top class venues in the province. I appreciate a few more people will get into Croke but then thats more people travelling further unnecessarily. I would say it gives Tyrone an edge, maybe in the same way Clones should give Monaghan an edge. Leave the spiritual home of the association for Dublin v Longford turkey shoot.

A few more people? If it was in ulster the capacity would have been 2,500. There'll be over 15,000 in croke park. That's a lot of people being given the opportunity to see their county in an ulster final that wouldn't have been if not switched.

Big tickle. Is 2,500 is a lot more than zero? Basically 12,500 people travelling to Dublin in the middle of a pandemic unnecessarily when this could have been played a lot closer to home. There's more to life than sitting in an empty Croker to watch 70mins of football that is on free to air TV. But wait, 12500 x £30 = £375,000. I guess you really can put a price on stupidity (GAA not you).

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:34:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 05:37:32 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2021, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2021, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

Many club members don't go near a game all year until there's a final.

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

I know who I'd rather give a ticket to.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

So there should be a pecking order when it comes to AI tickets?

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

Yes, there absolutely should.

Active GAA Members and Key Sponsors
\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

I can't speak for any other county, but within Derry for example, I don't know of any of these Nigels well definitely not in the last few years. Take the last few years, games away down the country in Div 3 / 4. Derry might have had 20 max supporters. Not a single one of them would be the type of county supporter you seem to be fixated on. Each and everyone would be club men. Having ago at people for supporting their county the length and breadth of the country (especially a county like Derry when so many abandoned the county men in Div 3 and 4) is bizarre

You are making no sense.

You said yourself that none of the supporters who followed Derry are the type I was talking about.

So how am I having a go at them???

Weird.

So Derry wasn't in your thoughts at all then? Gotcha. The other counties clubmen will be glad to have you as a spokesman

I like to think so Nige.  8)

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 02:12:00 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 23, 2021, 11:44:23 AM
Should tickets not go through the clubs? Club members should get the jump on tickets before the bandwagon support

There's also plenty of balloons running up and down the country 'supporting' their county, who wouldn't lift a finger to help their local club.

You know the type - young fella always has the most up to date strip, been at every McKenna Cup match since the big snow of 47 but the only players he could name on the club team are the 2 boys playing for the county.

What about the club members who never go to a county game? Have they any more right to a county ticket than a predominantly county supporter?

I know of lots of people who don't really have much association with their local club, for a number of reasons. A lot of clubs are clannish, two or three families running the show, looking after themselves. It's hard to feel involved if you weren't a top player or don't come from a local footballing dynasty. Or maybe your kids don't play, so you're less likely to stay involved.

Firstly, I'd always prioritise the members of the association over the non-members.

Lets face it - a county match is a nice day out, but it's not exactly work and it does little to help the association other than the price of the ticket (which in our example is a moot point - as the tickets will be sold anyway).

Someone who coaches the kids teams, washes the jerseys, turns up at club fundraisers, takes a job on the committee etc is IMO far more crucial to the GAA than some Nigel who only follows the county team

And should be treated as such when tickets are being allocated - no matter how many times said Nigel has seen the county team play this year

One club member who helps out with the u-10's is more entitled to a ticket than one who cuts the grass? Surely contributing to the club via membership or lotto is important too, even if they don't participate in club activities as such. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or experience  to coach or sit as secretary/treasurer etc.

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

I can't speak for any other county, but within Derry for example, I don't know of any of these Nigels well definitely not in the last few years. Take the last few years, games away down the country in Div 3 / 4. Derry might have had 20 max supporters. Not a single one of them would be the type of county supporter you seem to be fixated on. Each and everyone would be club men. Having ago at people for supporting their county the length and breadth of the country (especially a county like Derry when so many abandoned the county men in Div 3 and 4) is bizarre

You are making no sense.

You said yourself that none of the supporters who followed Derry are the type I was talking about.

So how am I having a go at them???

Weird.

So Derry wasn't in your thoughts at all then? Gotcha. The other counties clubmen will be glad to have you as a spokesman

I like to think so Nige.  8)

:D

Armagh18

Quote from: tiempo on July 23, 2021, 01:59:11 PM
Disappointed the final has been put in Croke. Ulster final belongs in Ulster, there are enough top class venues in the province. I appreciate a few more people will get into Croke but then thats more people travelling further unnecessarily. I would say it gives Tyrone an edge, maybe in the same way Clones should give Monaghan an edge. Leave the spiritual home of the association for Dublin v Longford turkey shoot.

A few more people? If it was in ulster the capacity would have been 2,500. There'll be over 15,000 in croke park. That's a lot of people being given the opportunity to see their county in an ulster final that wouldn't have been if not switched.

Big tickle. Is 2,500 is a lot more than zero? Basically 12,500 people travelling to Dublin in the middle of a pandemic unnecessarily when this could have been played a lot closer to home. There's more to life than sitting in an empty Croker to watch 70mins of football that is on free to air TV. But wait, 12500 x £30 = £375,000. I guess you really can put a price on stupidity (GAA not you).
Oh give over holy fuckkk

tiempo

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 23, 2021, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: tiempo on July 23, 2021, 01:59:11 PM

Oh give over holy fuckkk

Athletic Grounds would have been the perfect neutral venue.

Rossfan

Play it behind fkn closed doors to stop ye whining and make sure no undesirables  might get in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

Ulster final was played in Croke Park from 04 to 06. The Connacht final on Sunday is in Croke Park. I doubt the players mind playing in a stadium like Croke Park, its actually a help before an All Ireland Semi final.

BennyCake

\/
Non-Active GAA Members
\/
Nigels

What about the mate/brother/sister/child of the club treasurer/secretary? Where do they come in?

BennyCake

Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:38:48 AM

Also, you do have the time.  You have exactly the same amount of time available as everyone else.

You choose not to allot that time to actively participating in the GAA.

So the GAA chooses not to allot you a ticket for big games.

Couldn't be fairer.

How could you make a case for the opposite?

It's not the GAA who allocates tickets though. It's through the clubs. And once it goes to clubs, it's anything goes. We all know that. If you're the secretary's nephew, treasurer's mistress, you'll get a ticket. You can make an argument that those who coach, wash jerseies etc are more entitled to tickets, but there's nothing in the GAA constitution/rules stating any of that.

So, you might have a person who is a club member but live in the next town, works abnormal hours or has caring responsibilities etc, and he's no hope of getting a ticket? Well, what is that person going to do in that case? Maybe they'll take their £25 annual fee and keep it in their pocket. Or when the lads come round asking for lotto or selling tickets for the big club draw/dinner, they'll be told to get stuffed?

tiempo

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2021, 04:16:43 PM
Play it behind fkn closed doors to stop ye whining and make sure no undesirables  might get in.

Could start by cancelling Connacht due to lack of interest. Bad decision bringing that final to Croke, both teams will find a way to shit themselves in the race to be declared losers.

Rossfan

Quote from: tiempo on July 23, 2021, 06:12:08 PM

Could start by cancelling Connacht due to lack of interest.
14,000 tickets sold up to this evening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Could start by cancelling Connacht due to lack of interest. Bad decision bringing that final to Croke, both teams will find a way to shit themselves in the race to be declared losers.

Throwing stones in glass houses and all that!  ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2021, 06:01:02 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 23, 2021, 11:38:48 AM

Also, you do have the time.  You have exactly the same amount of time available as everyone else.

You choose not to allot that time to actively participating in the GAA.

So the GAA chooses not to allot you a ticket for big games.

Couldn't be fairer.

How could you make a case for the opposite?

It's not the GAA who allocates tickets though. It's through the clubs. And once it goes to clubs, it's anything goes. We all know that. If you're the secretary's nephew, treasurer's mistress, you'll get a ticket. You can make an argument that those who coach, wash jerseies etc are more entitled to tickets, but there's nothing in the GAA constitution/rules stating any of that.

So, you might have a person who is a club member but live in the next town, works abnormal hours or has caring responsibilities etc, and he's no hope of getting a ticket? Well, what is that person going to do in that case? Maybe they'll take their £25 annual fee and keep it in their pocket. Or when the lads come round asking for lotto or selling tickets for the big club draw/dinner, they'll be told to get stuffed?

It's very simple, tickets allocated are selected from a hat, names in the hat are paid up members of the club, club committee men should get preference and sponsors (that's my opinion) , members are asked would they like their names put in for the draw, those interested say yes.

It's not difficult, if your club benny are not doing it fair then pull them at the next agm and put a motion in that'll allow for better transparency when handing out tickets. Obviously you can only bitch about it if you are a paid up member, if not, that's hard cheese.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2021, 10:23:34 PM

Fs is that all, no supply and demand issues there, seen more at the club finals on Pattys day

viperhiggins

Quote from: tiempo on July 24, 2021, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2021, 10:23:34 PM

Fs is that all, no supply and demand issues there, seen more at the club finals on Pattys day

Cardinal sin.