Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: ck on July 19, 2021, 04:48:14 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 19, 2021, 01:53:41 PM
Maybe Murphy is in decline, time will tell but in the mean time I think there'd be very few counties who wouldn't have him down as first name on their team sheet if he was available to them. Even half fit, Donegal are a different team without him. When they came within a point of Tyrone yesterday, that sort of scenario is when Murphy usually comes to the fore, he'd have won a free or two like McManus did the day before and like McManus would most definitely have scored them too. Donegal missed one or two vital frees yesterday which took the wind out of their sails a bit. As a Tyrone man, I was delighted to see him leave the field yesterday but as football fan he's been an absolute pleasure to watch over the years. I'd say talk of his demise may be greatly exaggerated.

Could not agree more with this. Murphy is more influential in games now that he has ever been. Whatever yard of pace he has lost, he's gained in other ways. He has at least one or two more years in him.

Colm O'Rourke got it spot on last night when he said Donegal have dis-improved in recent years. Bonner came in with a whirlwind, new attacking game and a freshness with new young team. They won Ulster after a disaster the year before under Rory Gallagher and were being spoken of in All-Ireland terms. They have regressed year on year since and that has to be a worry for Donegal people? They have a talented squad but seem to be mentally weak as when it comes to the crunch each year, they lose.

Its hard to know.

This year's exit was inarguably influenced by Murphy's injury and sending off. Had he scored the penalty and, possibly under the different circumstances, not got the line, Donegal could well be in another Ulster final.

Last year was more damning. There is no question they should have won Ulster, but their heads were clearly all wrong on the day.

The previous two years when they did win Ulster?

2018 was a surprise, to be honest (I wasn't expecting any Ulster title that year), helped in no small way by Monaghan knocking Tyrone out and then getting ambushed themselves by Fermanagh. Tyrone's stronger squad told in the last ten minutes of the Super 8s game. I don't think there was much Bonner could do about that.

2019 was the disappointing one (in addition to last year). Beat Tyrone fairly handily and cruised to an easy Ulster title after that. Shot it out for a very creditable draw with Kerry in Croke Park, but then just couldn't handle the physical power and intensity of Mayo in Castlebar. Murphy gave one of his finest exhibitions in the Donegal shift for 25 minutes in that second half, but got almost no support as he single-handedly took on Mayo. Mayo have had our number since 2013, but you just felt that night certain Donegal players couldn't handle it or weren't prepared for Mayo's intensity.

Whether these big game failures are down to Bonner, or the players as a collective just don't have the belief or mental fortitude, I guess we'll see when the next man comes in.

J70

Quote from: Taylor on July 19, 2021, 04:52:47 PM
Murphy was clearly injured yesterday.

I was more surprised with McBrearty - he has been largely nullified in the last two games now.

When he has the ball in hand he is very hard to stop - but teams seem to have figured out how to stop him getting the ball

He's a victim of Donegal's slow build-up to an extent. By the time the ball went anywhere near him, both Tyrone and Derry had players in around him.

Down had numbers back too, but they weren't really doing anything. :)

Schkite

Final confirmed for Croke Park, 4pm on Saturday 31st July.

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2021, 02:48:15 PM
As a Donegal man, I don't think there's another player out there who I'd have swapped Murphy for.

Not too many others from recent years I'd say that for except Karl Lacey and maybe Kevin Cassidy.

Murphy is Angelo's new Cillian O'Connor, a rabbit hole best avoided

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Schkite on July 19, 2021, 06:09:21 PM

What was the ticket prices for previous Ulster finals? Going by Sundays Connacht final you can expect the price of tickets to be 35€ with no concession for students, children and OAPs.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 19, 2021, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 19, 2021, 06:09:21 PM

What was the ticket prices for previous Ulster finals? Going by Sundays Connacht final you can expect the price of tickets to be 35€ with no concession for students, children and OAPs.

Ulster previously had games in Croke Park and encouraged everyone to come, but the problem with cut price tickets for a restricted attendance is that you have excluded someone more than willing to pay full whack in order to bring in someone else paying half or nothing. It is like an All Ireland final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Would it sell out? Hard to gauge what demand will be like. People will want to go as its been a long long time, yet covid could make people hesitant. I'll be there anyway.

tiempo

Bonner is a buffer of the highest order. 18 months ago he was refusing to field in the McKenna Cup, it should be an honour to manage any game for your county and to try inspire anyone to wear the jersey, but he'd rather throw his toys out, much like the minor game a few moons ago when Tyrone bet Donegal and he let the accusations fly. Hope he stays in tbh, as mentioned Donegal are going backwards

imtommygunn

I don't mind him but I think it's time to rethink for Donegal. They should be doing a lot better with the players they have at their disposal. I don't think there's an AI in them but best in Ulster should be very achievable.

Blowitupref

Ulster U20FC final  between Monaghan and Down scheduled for Saturday has been postponed as a mark of respect for the late Brendán Óg Duffy, their captain who tragically lost his life in a car crash on his way home from the semi-final win over Donegal last Friday evening.

It will now take place at the Athletic Grounds on Friday week, 30 July.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Connacht v Ulster semi back a week so.
Hopefully we'll be involved.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

Donegal defenders to me are not overly great, McHugh can be marked out of it, McGee age against him, Ban Gallagher got roasted, the rest, not up to it, Midfield needs looked at too. They pretty good Forwards though.

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 19, 2021, 07:09:54 PM
Would it sell out? Hard to gauge what demand will be like. People will want to go as its been a long long time, yet covid could make people hesitant. I'll be there anyway.

I've been accused on this forum of being a Covid restriction ultra. But had Armagh qualified (and they could have) then I'd be perfectly happy to sit with nobody directly beside me in Croke Park and likely that will be the restriction imposed. I might not chose to go on the bus or head to a pub or restaurant afterwards though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2021, 08:08:26 PM
I don't mind him but I think it's time to rethink for Donegal. They should be doing a lot better with the players they have at their disposal. I don't think there's an AI in them but best in Ulster should be very achievable.
I agree. They should be doing better. They have fewer passengers
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: tiempo on July 19, 2021, 07:25:37 PM
Bonner is a buffer of the highest order. 18 months ago he was refusing to field in the McKenna Cup, it should be an honour to manage any game for your county and to try inspire anyone to wear the jersey, but he'd rather throw his toys out, much like the minor game a few moons ago when Tyrone bet Donegal and he let the accusations fly. Hope he stays in tbh, as mentioned Donegal are going backwards

Bitter much?  ;D ::)