I see Angelo has reappeared  ;D

The 40 posts per hour gives it away.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2021, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2021, 12:37:06 PM
I see Angelo has reappeared  ;D

The 40 posts per hour gives it away.

Maybe the name angel, anyways Nadal is a busted flush
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 19, 2021, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2021, 11:38:57 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2021, 11:14:12 AM
If Michael Murphy can be considered done, then some new measuring tools are required

Yes.

A wee bit early to be writing his obituaries after a season in which he played one league game at full fitness and ended it getting the line because, due to being half-fit, he missed a pick-up he would normally pull off with his eyes closed.

He'll be 32 for next season. Maybe going forward they'll have to ask him at some point to ease up on the tracking back to save his legs, but things like his shooting, passing ability and his sheer vision and game intelligence should not be affected much.
Plenty of ball in that man yet. It's not as though he ever really relied on his speed so as you say, all his other qualities won't diminish.

You men must've been wathcing a different Michael Murphy than me..... I suppose it's a common enough name

I've been watching a barely fit Murphy, unable to dominate matches like he usually does because... he wasn't fit.

Time will tell whether he's in decline at this point. There's plenty of other players on the Donegal team whose places would be open to serious challenge before him. We're not Dublin.

yellowcard

It looks like Tyrone have got their way with the Ulster council and a request to play the final in Croke Park has been submitted now by Ulster GAA.

Wildweasel74

Murphy not done, just injured, probably shouldn't been playing Down or Derry games, there's enough in him for a couple of yrs at full forward

BennyHarp

Maybe Murphy is in decline, time will tell but in the mean time I think there'd be very few counties who wouldn't have him down as first name on their team sheet if he was available to them. Even half fit, Donegal are a different team without him. When they came within a point of Tyrone yesterday, that sort of scenario is when Murphy usually comes to the fore, he'd have won a free or two like McManus did the day before and like McManus would most definitely have scored them too. Donegal missed one or two vital frees yesterday which took the wind out of their sails a bit. As a Tyrone man, I was delighted to see him leave the field yesterday but as football fan he's been an absolute pleasure to watch over the years. I'd say talk of his demise may be greatly exaggerated.
That was never a square ball!!

AnGaelGearmanach

Got asked a question in a bar one time - who's the better player Sean Cavanagh or Michael Murphy?

Would be a tight enough saying Cavanagh is 38 but I'd still have to say Cavanagh.

J70

As a Donegal man, I don't think there's another player out there who I'd have swapped Murphy for.

Not too many others from recent years I'd say that for except Karl Lacey and maybe Kevin Cassidy.

Captain Obvious

Do Monaghan have much of say on the venue change, home advantage compared to Croke Park would surely suit Tyrone more however money talks as 18,000 won't be allowed in Clones

Redhand Santa

The Ulster council are not facilitating Tyrone by asking to move it to croke park. They already asked about it last week before the final pairings known. Only 2/3,000 allowed in Ulster venue v 18,000 plus in croke park - it's a no brainier.

armaghniac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 19, 2021, 03:27:42 PM
The Ulster council are not facilitating Tyrone by asking to move it to croke park. They already asked about it last week before the final pairings known. Only 2/3,000 allowed in Ulster venue v 18,000 plus in croke park - it's a no brainier.

Perhaps Tyrone will actually manage to win an Ulster final in Croke Park.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AnGaelGearmanach

Sean Cavanagh v Michael Murphy

One has 6 ulsters, 5 all-stars, 3 all irelands, 2 national leagues and a coveted footballer of the year.

The other has been using caffeine shampoo since he was in secondary school.

ck

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 19, 2021, 01:53:41 PM
Maybe Murphy is in decline, time will tell but in the mean time I think there'd be very few counties who wouldn't have him down as first name on their team sheet if he was available to them. Even half fit, Donegal are a different team without him. When they came within a point of Tyrone yesterday, that sort of scenario is when Murphy usually comes to the fore, he'd have won a free or two like McManus did the day before and like McManus would most definitely have scored them too. Donegal missed one or two vital frees yesterday which took the wind out of their sails a bit. As a Tyrone man, I was delighted to see him leave the field yesterday but as football fan he's been an absolute pleasure to watch over the years. I'd say talk of his demise may be greatly exaggerated.

Could not agree more with this. Murphy is more influential in games now that he has ever been. Whatever yard of pace he has lost, he's gained in other ways. He has at least one or two more years in him.

Colm O'Rourke got it spot on last night when he said Donegal have dis-improved in recent years. Bonner came in with a whirlwind, new attacking game and a freshness with new young team. They won Ulster after a disaster the year before under Rory Gallagher and were being spoken of in All-Ireland terms. They have regressed year on year since and that has to be a worry for Donegal people? They have a talented squad but seem to be mentally weak as when it comes to the crunch each year, they lose. 

Taylor

Murphy was clearly injured yesterday.

I was more surprised with McBrearty - he has been largely nullified in the last two games now.

When he has the ball in hand he is very hard to stop - but teams seem to have figured out how to stop him getting the ball

imtommygunn

He's not as good after the knee injury is the problem I think. Whether that be pace or not. I think the left foot and the strength are still there but maybe not so much the pace.