Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

StPatsAbu

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 03:46:02 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2021, 03:43:14 PM
Score line flattered Donegal. Ref kept them in it for the large part. Tyrone bate 16 men today. Bigger tests lie ahead.

What a pile of shite.

We feel your pain from yesterday added to 15 years of hammerings by Tyrone.  ;D

Main Street

In stark contrast to Coldrick's relaxed performance yesterday, there was too much of  McQuillan influence in that game.

Impressive fitness levels from Tyrone with keeping numbers in defense while other players were galloping forward and backwards with haste  as the game dictated, though failure to score a goal from the many chances must be deeply worrying.

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 03:45:29 PM
We were barely hanging on through that second half, and Langan's missed free, which would have brought it back to a point with a couple of minutes to go, ended it. Not trying to be harsh on Langan - it was a tough enough free. Tyrone deserved it on the day anyway.

Ban had a great second half, really driving at Tyrone, winning frees and setting up the goal, but there were too many others who struggled with the packed defense.

Can't miss a penalty and get your best player, half-fit or not, sent off and expect to win a game like that.

Hard to see Neil McGee coming back again. Unfortunate for him if it has to end like that.

Ah, he's done alright -  a Celtic cross, a few Anglo Celts, a National League and a few All stars. Few inter-county players ever get to finish on a high.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Murphy the key man in Tyrone's victory with the game turning on his missed penalty and subsequent dismissal. I thought Tyrone were managing it well thereafter but they lost their way a bit in the second half and missed opportunities to finish off Donegal much earlier. I'm not convinced the subs helped at that stage. But fair play, they did step up decisively at the end when they might well have wobbled with McGeary going off and the game still in the balance.

Very much still a work in progress which is natural given it's a new management team who have had limited opportunity to make their mark in these strange times. In those circumstances making an Ulster final is a good effort, albeit fortune was on their side today. I'd make Monaghan favourites but do believe that Tyrone side is still capable of more.

As an aside, what was Spillane on about at half time. Totally misunderstood Cavanagh's point about Harte and thought Sean was praising him so rattled off the old stuff about Mickey's poor record in big games since 2008, something which was totally irrelevant to the point and which Cavanagh almost certainly agrees with as well.

J70

Quote from: StPatsAbu on July 18, 2021, 03:59:43 PM
Score line flattered Donegal. Ref kept them in it for the large part. Tyrone bate 16 men today. Bigger tests lie ahead.

What a pile of shite.

I'm not from Armagh gobshite.

Is it not time for you to go back to being "under the bar"?

Not sure why you changed. It's not as if your posts under your changed ID are any more intelligent or amusing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 18, 2021, 04:02:25 PM
Murphy the key man in Tyrone's victory with the game turning on his missed penalty and subsequent dismissal.

He certainly was. That latest championship exit will probably spell the end as Declan Bonner as Donegal manager.

J70

Murphy the key man in Tyrone's victory with the game turning on his missed penalty and subsequent dismissal. I thought Tyrone were managing it well thereafter but they lost their way a bit in the second half and missed opportunities to finish off Donegal much earlier. I'm not convinced the subs helped at that stage. But fair play, they did step up decisively at the end when they might well have wobbled with McGeary going off and the game still in the balance.

Very much still a work in progress which is natural given it's a new management team who have had limited opportunity to make their mark in these strange times. In those circumstances making an Ulster final is a good effort, albeit fortune was on their side today. I'd make Monaghan favourites but do believe that Tyrone side is still capable of more.

As an aside, what was Spillane on about at half time. Totally misunderstood Cavanagh's point about Harte and thought Sean was praising him so rattled off the old stuff about Mickey's poor record in big games since 2008, something which was totally irrelevant to the point and which Cavanagh almost certainly agrees with as well.

Didn't matter in the end, but Tyrone hit an awful pair of wides midway through the second half when McKenna tried a worldie right after he came on instead of working it to a better placed player, and then you turned over a poor lockout from that shot, only to hit another bad wide. Looked like the break WE needed for a bit.

Both Derry AND Tyrone had a lot of success up their left wings, working easy scores, often along the end line. Bonner and Rochford, if they stay on, will have plenty of work to do for next year.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 18, 2021, 04:08:35 PM
Murphy the key man in Tyrone's victory with the game turning on his missed penalty and subsequent dismissal.

He certainly was. That latest championship exit will probably spell the end as Declan Bonner as Donegal manager.

Maybe time for Jim to come back? :)

Armamike

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 04:03:44 PM

What a pile of shite.

Not sure why you changed. It's not as if your posts under your changed ID are any more intelligent or amusing.

+1 What's with Manu Tyrone supporting posters. Is it the manu or the Tyrone pond life gene 🤣
That's just, like your opinion man.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 04:03:44 PM

What a pile of shite.

Where you from then ye blinkered 'gobshite' ? If not Armagh must be a delusional Donegal supporter. Mcquillan gave ye everything he could today and ye still couldn't win ;D

Milltown Row2

It's funny how people see games, Enda McGinley was saying Tyrone in the first half got a lot of handy ones from the ref..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

StephenC

Congrats to Tyrone and best of luck in the final. Deserved winners on the day.

It was interesting seeing the contrast between the teams - Tyrone have a team full of backs who they hope will score enough; Donegal have a team full of forwards who they hope can defend. Again today we showed that the balance in our team is wrong - how many times had we loads of men back but barely a hand laid on a Tyrone man.

Anyway, now my focus switches to an U13 game on Thursday.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 04:10:49 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 18, 2021, 04:08:35 PM

Maybe time for Jim to come back? :)

If he's free to come back then why not.

trailer

What a pile of shite.

Wha?... Downings?.... Ahhy I know. Overrated kip. Eh?... Am I right?... Eh?...