Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Just home from the game, where to start ...

The heat today was suppressing, bad enough standing watching the game, full credit to both sides for the game they delivered in those conditions.

From an Armagh perspective, if you concede 4 goals in the first half of a game, its difficult to see you winning ... but win is what Armagh should have done in the end.  2-21 some scoring, and irrespective of the 4 goals, the game was there for Armagh when 2 pts up and just had to close it out.  Some poor decision making cost us ... recycling the ball when a score was there for the taking, taking a placed ball free kick from the sideline 60 yards out when it should have been recycled to a better position ... Soupy's fist pass late on that the Monaghan defender just got his finger tips to, would rather have seen Stefan bring it on in himself and take the man on.

As for the Armagh sideline, Forker made some difference when he came on, but it shouldn't have taken 4 goals for that to happen ... if he was fit to come on and last the game, then he should have been on sooner.

Fair play Monaghan, don't begrudge them that win.  I know Banty and have a lot of time for the man, so fair play and hope they give either Tyrone or Donegal a good rattle in the Ulster Final.

As for Armagh ... massive strides made, it will come right and that team are definitely young enough to come back better.

P.S. I was on the town terrace opposite the main stand today, would love to know how many were on it, didn't see much opportunity for social distancing where I was standing.  Whereas the main stand was very scarcely populated.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2021, 04:46:49 PM
Some effort from Beggan, what's the kicking distance from the sideline on the 45?

60 metres

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Armamike on July 17, 2021, 06:36:00 PM
Bollix. Blew that one. Very disappointing and frustrating. Seasoned players making very bad decisions cost us a place  in the final for first time in 13 years. Some great work to get back in the game after a comical start.
Have to agree with you. Clearly learned nothing from the Donegal league match. It's all about keeping possession when you're ahead at the end of a tight match. Should have won it but I dread to think what Tyrone or Donegal would have done to that defence.
Careful now

Eire90

is ulster in danger of turning into a two team monopoly

J70

Quote from: Eire90 on July 17, 2021, 08:33:39 PM

Cavan are the reigning champions.

Derry are on the way back. Armagh, despite today's issues, are clearly developing a competitive squad and team.

Michael Murphy is 32 later this year, Neil McGee several years older still. Donegal are not Dublin, with an endless supply of top-class footballers coming through.

Conor McManus must be getting up there too. How do Monaghan replace a outrageously talented, clutch player like him?

Wildweasel74

Good game but you need bring some defence instead of all out attack, reality is if either team turned up to play Dublin or Kerry with that style of play they be eat alive. The standard of defenders are def not the same as yesteryear. Ryan O'Neill best player on the pitch

Main Street

Quote from: inroundthesquare on July 17, 2021, 08:07:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 17, 2021, 04:46:49 PM
Some effort from Beggan, what's the kicking distance from the sideline on the 45?

60 metres
Thanks,  60m with a bit of an angle.

Sportacus

Just watched the deferred coverage on BBC.  Marty Clarke is an excellent co-commentator- picks out the small things really well, wee bits of skill etc.  And very respectful overall  to the tragedy which occurred.  Well done.

bannside

Very professionally and sensitively handled by Mark Sidebottom. Banty spoke well too. Some game under the conditions....

Rest in peace Brendan Og Duffy.

the goal was on

We'll be listening to Mc geeney in 10 years time still talking about ' we just lack the bit of experience and cuteness!

naka

Quote from: the goal was on on July 17, 2021, 09:48:34 PM
We'll be listening to Mc geeney in 10 years time still talking about ' we just lack the bit of experience and cuteness!
The game was lost on the pitch in the second half not on the sideline
For once I wouldn't criticise Mc geeney because every switch worked
Poor decision making by senior players cost the game

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Eire90 on July 17, 2021, 08:33:39 PM

Doubt many people who know Ulster football would share that opinion.

StPatsAbu

If Armagh ended up winning the lottery they'd probably flush the ticket down the bog by accident...  :D

ONeill

Great to see Armagh bate all the same.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

That was one of the best Ulster championship matches in recent years. Armagh have been badly lacking a defensive leader for some time and it was this deficiency that cost them the match in the first half. They were over powered and over run in their half back line and despite a rousing second half performance when they played without fear for 20 minutes, it wasn't enough to salvage a win. All of the substitutes made an impact but when the game was back in the melting pot with 10 minutes to go, fear took over again as they tried to run down the clock.

It was a cracking game that had everything and although from an Armagh perspective it was gutting to leave it behind, I don't think anyone would begrudge Monaghan a win on what was a harrowing day for gaels across the county.