Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Any news on permitted attendance and tickets for this weekends Armagh/Monaghan game in Newry?

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on July 14, 2021, 07:39:31 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 13, 2021, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 13, 2021, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 13, 2021, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 13, 2021, 03:18:20 PM
I wouldn't blame Coldrick for not allowing Derry time to get an equaliser. McBreartys winning point landed over the bar right on time ticking by the 74min. He blew the whistle about 75secs later, he allowed Derry to work the ball down the left, then switch the ball to the right, before trying to go again on the other side. He was never going to add infinite time to let Derry get a shot away.

I'm not saying it should have been an infinite amount of time, but if he wasn't going to give Derry the chance to develop a scoring situation, why didn't he just blow it up after the kickout? 75seconds isn't long when you take the time needed for a kickout out of it.
Perhaps another 30-60 seconds is all it would have needed then there really would have been no excuse for not getting a shot off. If we couldn't have worked a scoring attempt in that time then fair enough. It is subjective I suppose but I felt over the course of the entire game he was unduly harsh on Derry in comparison to Donegal. I see the Irish News yesterday seemed to be of the same view.

Can't agree with this at all.

As one poster said, he gave Derry enough time to make 3 attempts at breaching the Donegal defence.  But nobody wanted to take on the responsibility.

This is where Derry miss a proper leader.

All it took was for someone to carry the ball into a Donegal tackle.  Coldrick would have been absolutely itching to award a free.  But nobody had the sense/bollo*cks to do it.

Instead they danced forwards and backwards across the 45 until the ref had no option but to call time.

A proper leader? Did you see some of the scores from likes of McFaul and McGuigan when Donegal had fought their way back into the game on different occasions? Glass and even young Doherty. That team had leadership all over the pitch on Sunday. From a team playing Div 4 very recently to what we witnessed in Ballybofey. You could see from about the 65th minute on alot of the players were out on their feet. It's just didn't happen in the last few mins. Certainly not down to not having a proper leader

Firstly, playing well (even when under pressure) does not automatically make someone a good leader.  It just makes them a good footballer.

Those guys are too young to be the type of player I'm talking about.  They may be on their way to being that player, but they're nowhere near the finished article.

It was so blindingly obvious what they should have done in those final minutes, but nobody elected to do it and nobody stepped forward and said 'right lads, this is what is gonna happen here'.   Instead, we had a queue of players, passing responsibility from one to the next, not wanting to be the one who made the decision.  Until such times as Coldrick made the decision for them.

Even so-called 'second-rate' Derry teams (early 2000's etc) would have had an abundance of players with the gumption to know how to engineer a free in that situation.

Yeah OK. So a team who engineered enough chances to win that game several times over, from an incredibly low base remember, have the likes of McFaul, McGuigan, McKaigue, Rogers, McKindless, Glass and so many of the younger players who took the fight to Donegal etc are lacking bollocks and leadership. Got ye. Great attitude to have after such a heroic display. So very Derry

Ethan Tremblay

Always thought a good rule change would be that play is not blown up until the ball goes out of play after the allotted amount of injury time has passed by at the end of the first half or second, would make for more tense finishes like this, and would rule out referee discretion on when exactly it should be blown up. 

Derry can take the positives away from the weekend, they held their own against a top top team so things look promising moving into next year. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on July 14, 2021, 11:12:41 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 14, 2021, 07:39:31 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 13, 2021, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 13, 2021, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 13, 2021, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 13, 2021, 03:18:20 PM
I wouldn't blame Coldrick for not allowing Derry time to get an equaliser. McBreartys winning point landed over the bar right on time ticking by the 74min. He blew the whistle about 75secs later, he allowed Derry to work the ball down the left, then switch the ball to the right, before trying to go again on the other side. He was never going to add infinite time to let Derry get a shot away.

I'm not saying it should have been an infinite amount of time, but if he wasn't going to give Derry the chance to develop a scoring situation, why didn't he just blow it up after the kickout? 75seconds isn't long when you take the time needed for a kickout out of it.
Perhaps another 30-60 seconds is all it would have needed then there really would have been no excuse for not getting a shot off. If we couldn't have worked a scoring attempt in that time then fair enough. It is subjective I suppose but I felt over the course of the entire game he was unduly harsh on Derry in comparison to Donegal. I see the Irish News yesterday seemed to be of the same view.

Can't agree with this at all.

As one poster said, he gave Derry enough time to make 3 attempts at breaching the Donegal defence.  But nobody wanted to take on the responsibility.

This is where Derry miss a proper leader.

All it took was for someone to carry the ball into a Donegal tackle.  Coldrick would have been absolutely itching to award a free.  But nobody had the sense/bollo*cks to do it.

Instead they danced forwards and backwards across the 45 until the ref had no option but to call time.

A proper leader? Did you see some of the scores from likes of McFaul and McGuigan when Donegal had fought their way back into the game on different occasions? Glass and even young Doherty. That team had leadership all over the pitch on Sunday. From a team playing Div 4 very recently to what we witnessed in Ballybofey. You could see from about the 65th minute on alot of the players were out on their feet. It's just didn't happen in the last few mins. Certainly not down to not having a proper leader

Firstly, playing well (even when under pressure) does not automatically make someone a good leader.  It just makes them a good footballer.

Those guys are too young to be the type of player I'm talking about.  They may be on their way to being that player, but they're nowhere near the finished article.

It was so blindingly obvious what they should have done in those final minutes, but nobody elected to do it and nobody stepped forward and said 'right lads, this is what is gonna happen here'.   Instead, we had a queue of players, passing responsibility from one to the next, not wanting to be the one who made the decision.  Until such times as Coldrick made the decision for them.

Even so-called 'second-rate' Derry teams (early 2000's etc) would have had an abundance of players with the gumption to know how to engineer a free in that situation.

Yeah OK. So a team who engineered enough chances to win that game several times over, from an incredibly low base remember, have the likes of McFaul, McGuigan, McKaigue, Rogers, McKindless, Glass and so many of the younger players who took the fight to Donegal etc are lacking bollocks and leadership. Got ye. Great attitude to have after such a heroic display. So very Derry

Just calling it as I see it.

Nothing says 'so very Derry' like revelling in a heroic defeat and refusing to address (or even discuss!) the inadequacies that, if resolved, could have turned it into a victory.

Franko

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 14, 2021, 11:31:35 AM
Always thought a good rule change would be that play is not blown up until the ball goes out of play after the allotted amount of injury time has passed by at the end of the first half or second, would make for more tense finishes like this, and would rule out referee discretion on when exactly it should be blown up. 

Derry can take the positives away from the weekend, they held their own against a top top team so things look promising moving into next year.

+1

Mikhailov

Quote from: Franko on July 14, 2021, 12:09:43 PM

+1

I understand your thinking but not sure it would work. In your case suggested, the whistle would have went as soon as McBrearty scored the point as 4 minutes had elapsed. Game over, no final chance for Derry to engineer an attack. Derry had ample opportunity, nobody broke a line to even attempt to work a 'free kick' or a scoring opportunity.

However, in fairness Derry played well and could/should have won but I don't buy this craic they are coming from a low base. They should never have been near Div 3 never mind Div 4. It was all their own undoing that left them there.

In reality they are a top 10 side in the country and are coming strong but Derry have to get over the line soon to back all the hype up. Would have been VERY dangerous opponents for any team in the back door and easily could have ended up in the Super 8's

ardchieftain

Only 1700 allowed to attend the Armagh/Monaghan game. Very disappointing.

Armagh18

Quote from: Mikhailov on July 14, 2021, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 14, 2021, 12:09:43 PM

+1

I understand your thinking but not sure it would work. In your case suggested, the whistle would have went as soon as McBrearty scored the point as 4 minutes had elapsed. Game over, no final chance for Derry to engineer an attack. Derry had ample opportunity, nobody broke a line to even attempt to work a 'free kick' or a scoring opportunity.

However, in fairness Derry played well and could/should have won but I don't buy this craic they are coming from a low base. They should never have been near Div 3 never mind Div 4. It was all their own undoing that left them there.

In reality they are a top 10 side in the country and are coming strong but Derry have to get over the line soon to back all the hype up. Would have been VERY dangerous opponents for any team in the back door and easily could have ended up in the Super 8's
Are they? Would want to wait until they get a few years in Division 2 under their belts first but the potential is definitely there.

5times5times

Quote from: ardchieftain on July 14, 2021, 12:35:36 PM

Where did you read this? Dont see on ulster twitter or site??

Armagh18

Quote from: 5times5times on July 14, 2021, 01:01:13 PM

2300 is what the gaelic life said.

5times5times

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 14, 2021, 02:23:32 PM

2300 + 2400 across both Marshes & Enniskillen... Are they not the same size?

Redhand Santa

You would think in a ground that could hold around 18,000 when full that you could easily spread 4/5000 round it no bother. It's not like every person in the ground needs distanced either - up to 6 from one family can be together. Who is coming up with the numbers? The executive seemed to leave it up to the sports bodies?

Armagh18

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 14, 2021, 02:34:03 PM

You would think in a ground that could hold around 18,000 when full that you could easily spread 4/5000 round it no bother. It's not like every person in the ground needs distanced either - up to 6 from one family can be together. Who is coming up with the numbers? The executive seemed to leave it up to the sports bodies?
The executive have said no legal limit. Think it is up to Ulster Council I'm assuming?

Armagh18

Quote from: 5times5times on July 14, 2021, 02:32:34 PM

2300 + 2400 across both Marshes & Enniskillen... Are they not the same size?
Strange one alright

Main Street

Ulster GAA are reported to have decided that 2,300 spectators can attend the match in Newry.