Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

He's done a good job with Antrim so far and I hope we get another few years out of him.

Dire Ear

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 07, 2021, 10:38:10 AM
He's done a good job with Antrim so far and I hope we get another few years out of him.
Yes,  seems like a decent straight forward operator

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on July 06, 2021, 06:54:18 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on July 06, 2021, 06:39:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2021, 03:56:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2021, 03:14:27 PM
McGinley calls the Tailteann cup proposal a joke proposal. He would know one given he manages Antrim. A losers cup he calls it. Someone should tell him that is exactly what Antrim are.

Not an Enda McGinley fan then? :)
Apparently McGinley battered him in a bar in Donegal when he was on holidays

I heard there was no battering, it was the fact that McGinley took him to Donegal

I like Enda. But this nonsense these Div 3 and 4 teams come out with needs checked. They're aren't good enough. They are only fit to play in either an Intermediate or Junior competition. No one learns from these batterings. Antrim have trained all year and for what? To get humped by Armagh? Everyone knew the result before the game was played. Then ppl wonder why attendances are down and players opt out... Everyone needs to get real and calling this nonsense out from McGinley is a good first step.

APM

Quote from: trailer on July 07, 2021, 12:39:40 PM
McGinley calls the Tailteann cup proposal a joke proposal. He would know one given he manages Antrim. A losers cup he calls it. Someone should tell him that is exactly what Antrim are.

I heard there was no battering, it was the fact that McGinley took him to Donegal

I like Enda. But this nonsense these Div 3 and 4 teams come out with needs checked. They're aren't good enough. They are only fit to play in either an Intermediate or Junior competition. No one learns from these batterings. Antrim have trained all year and for what? To get humped by Armagh? Everyone knew the result before the game was played. Then ppl wonder why attendances are down and players opt out... Everyone needs to get real and calling this nonsense out from McGinley is a good first step.

Last year's Ulster and Munster Champions are now in Division 4

trailer

Quote from: APM on July 07, 2021, 12:51:19 PM

Last year's Ulster and Munster Champions are now in Division 4

And what? How'd Cavan fair after the USFC? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Captain Obvious

I don't see a great interest for players to opt into a competition that looks like another Tommy Murphy cup. The NFL and then testing themselves against top 10 teams in the championship is what gets players from Div 3,4 to opt in.

trailer

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 07, 2021, 12:57:53 PM

I don't see a great interest for players to opt into a competition that looks like another Tommy Murphy cup. The NFL and then testing themselves against top 10 teams in the championship is what gets players from Div 3,4 to opt in.

If the GAA don't do something the only ppl at these games will be the Players and management. Nobody cares about Antrim getting tanked by Armagh.
I was at the Antrim V Tyrone game in Athletic grounds a few years ago and about 3000 turned up.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trailer on July 07, 2021, 01:12:33 PM

If the GAA don't do something the only ppl at these games will be the Players and management. Nobody cares about Antrim getting tanked by Armagh.
I was at the Antrim V Tyrone game in Athletic grounds a few years ago and about 3000 turned up.

3,000 is better than a few hundred watching a Tommy Murphy mark 2 cup game.

trailer

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 07, 2021, 01:30:47 PM

Ok well sure we'll let the intercounty game die so Antrim can get tanked in the first round every year.

Armagh18

Would it not be better for Antrim to get their cut at Tyrone/Armagh whoever in the championship  then if they are beat in first round they go into another competition they have a realistic chance in?

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2021, 02:29:47 PM

Would it not be better for Antrim to get their cut at Tyrone/Armagh whoever in the championship  then if they are beat in first round they go into another competition they have a realistic chance in?

No because then any other competition is a B / losers cup / Tommy Murphy Cup on Steroids competition and they clearly don't want that.
Put them into Junior and Intermediate comps. If they win and go up the leagues into the Senior comp. Works at every other level in GAA across Football and Hurling yet we are advocating that Intercounty football should be different from everything else. It's simply ludicrous.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2021, 02:29:47 PM

The one competition Antrim had the chance of winning this year (Div 4 title) was taken away from them because of poor scheduling. The B Ireland looks doomed for failure before it begins and hard to disagree with the main point that Enda McGinley made about it.

imtommygunn

In football at least the GAA have always made a balls of the lower tier competitions. Also they seem to have very little respect for them.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

Not too sure what the incentives are for participating but perhaps the finalists can be awarded a place in the AI top tier competition the following year?