Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2021, 08:08:26 PM
I don't mind him but I think it's time to rethink for Donegal. They should be doing a lot better with the players they have at their disposal. I don't think there's an AI in them but best in Ulster should be very achievable.

I'd say that's probably the view of most inside the county.

Bonner did all right, but time to let someone else try their hand at it.

A lot probably depends on who would be interested.

Maybe Murphy can do a McEniff and try player-manager now that he's washed up. :P

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2021, 09:58:11 PM
I don't mind him but I think it's time to rethink for Donegal. They should be doing a lot better with the players they have at their disposal. I don't think there's an AI in them but best in Ulster should be very achievable.

Maybe Murphy can do a McEniff and try player-manager now that he's washed up. :P

He did very well in management with Letterkenny IT in Trench Cup. Definitely a future Donegal manager.

imtommygunn

Last year worse than this year tbh. No shame in getting beat by Tyrone but should probably be running them a good bit closer than that.

Main Street

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2021, 10:07:24 PM

Last year worse than this year tbh. No shame in getting beat by Tyrone but should probably be running them a good bit closer than that.
With their  (soon to be washed up) talisman on the field all game I think Donegal would have prevailed. Tyrone only nailed the game in the last 10 minutes when they racked up 6 or so points in a row.   The scales were tipped when Murphy was dismissed.

Would a return of Big Jim  to the manager's seat be realistic?

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2021, 11:48:31 PM

With their  (soon to be washed up) talisman on the field all game I think Donegal would have prevailed. Tyrone only nailed the game in the last 10 minutes when they racked up 6 or so points in a row.   The scales were tipped when Murphy was dismissed.

Probably the best thing for donegal but it will cost them. Jim's experience coaching soccer will go a long way in adding a professional atmosphere in the donegal camp. The personality of the donegal team at the minute is too reliant on mick murphy who as we seen on sunday is past it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 20, 2021, 06:05:05 AM

Probably the best thing for donegal but it will cost them. Jim's experience coaching soccer will go a long way in adding a professional atmosphere in the donegal camp. The personality of the donegal team at the minute is too reliant on mick murphy who as we seen on sunday is past it

Murphy's past it, a bit like Nadal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Murphy is getting to the age were he should be thinking of playing as a bear on the square, the roaming days are maybe not quite over but they're coming to an end. He'd be some handful as a static FF.

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: bennydorano on July 20, 2021, 09:35:43 AM
Murphy is getting to the age were he should be thinking of playing as a bear on the square, the roaming days are maybe not quite over but they're coming to an end. He'd be some handful as a static FF.

Could be a good shout but I'd say he would have more of an impact coming off the bench. imagine versus tyrone he came on after the second water break the lift it would give donegal. You cant even make the argument that they need hi starting as he got sent off after a poor lapse of judgement in the first half. Donegal still looked like they had a chance. I would have young o'donnell in full forward with mcbrearty in centre forward to come off the shoulder. young gallen somehwere in the half forward line as well to take murphys spot with murphy coming off the bench after the second water break. if donegal are in the lead you could bet your live he will hold it out as his presence alone is enough to shift the tempo of the game. If  they require a few points to catch their opponents i cant think of many men in the country who can strike a ball like murphy

Blowitupref

How did last Sunday show that? If he was on the field for the full 70 minutes he could have provided the leadership for Donegal to edge that match.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tyrone08

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 20, 2021, 01:12:47 PM

How did last Sunday show that? If he was on the field for the full 70 minutes he could have provided the leadership for Donegal to edge that match.

Think people are really overpaying murphy being sent off. There were more valuable players in Donegal whos sending off would have had a bigger impact on the game. Prior the the sending off he was kept out game almost entirely. He should have never started the game and should have been brought on as a sub in the final 20 mins. It was piss poor managment from bonners part.

Milltown Row2

You can't underestimate at senior level the other team losing a player, and an influential player (regardless of fitness) like Murphy.

Tyrone coulda won the game 15 on 15, watched the fouls, was a clumsy lazy tackle,  non deliberate. In a club league that wouldn't have raised an eyebrow
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 20, 2021, 01:33:44 PM

I’d say that’s probably the view of most inside the county.

Maybe Murphy can do a McEniff and try player-manager now that he’s washed up. :P

Think people are really overpaying murphy being sent off. There were more valuable players in Donegal whos sending off would have had a bigger impact on the game. Prior the the sending off he was kept out game almost entirely. He should have never started the game and should have been brought on as a sub in the final 20 mins. It was piss poor managment from bonners part.
Like who?

Murphy leadership to that team is not in question and he occupies a number of defenders which creates the space for other forwards to cause damage.

For what it's worth I still think Tyrone would have won 15 v 15 as Donegal throughout was so loose defensively and that was the worst bit of management by Bonner to have them set up in that manner and never changed things.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 20, 2021, 01:50:36 PM

Like who?

Murphy leadership to that team is not in question and he occupies a number of defenders which creates the space for other forwards to cause damage.

Ryan mchugh & mcbrearty

tyrone08

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 20, 2021, 01:50:36 PM

Like who?

For what it's worth I still think Tyrone would have won 15 v 15 as Donegal throughout was so loose defensively.

I don't mean in terms of leadership, I meant in terms of positively impacting the game. Murphy was well shackled for the first 30 mins and if he wasn't fit then it's highly likely he would have struggled more as the game went on. I was happier seeing  him starting as I thought if he came on in the last 15-20mims he would have provided enough of a boost to get Donegal over the line.

RedHand88

Any word of general sale tickets? Does Supervalu Coalisland have a replacement now it's closed?