Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnGaelGearmanach

After Dublin's lackluster performance yesterday v Meath,, surely Tyrone are favorites among the field?

From the Bunker

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 06:14:08 AM
After Dublin's lackluster performance yesterday v Meath,, surely Tyrone are favorites among the field?

Based on what?

yellowcard

Quote from: APM on July 18, 2021, 10:33:00 PM
No thread for the Armagh Monaghan match, so posting here. 

Disappointed that Armagh lost the game, but felt that the supporters on both sides that were at the game were treated to a fantastic spectacle and superb atmosphere. It was literally thrilling.  The quality of the football (not the defending), some of the fielding (Rian O'Neill in particular) and the scoring.  The comeback and Monaghan's cool heads at the death. 

Reminded me of watching football in the 90's with the crowd heavily involved instead of sitting bored in the stands looking at their phones.  Had the kids with me and delighted that they were there to experience it - even though their team lost.  It's matches like this that makes youngsters fall in love with the games. 

Couldn't begrudge Monaghan the win under the tragic circumstances and hope they go on to beat Tyrone  ;D.

Completely gree with this post especially the bit about the level of crowd engagement which you rarely see at matches where the slow cautious possession based build up can often kill an atmosphere. There were plenty of contests for possession and a bit more physical contact than is usual in the modern game where the spectacle often resembles a game of chess. It was the best atmosphere I can remember at a match in a long while.   

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2021, 07:49:48 AM

Based on what?

Tyrone are now favourites to win Ulster after their display yesterday. Michael Murphy was rattled he couldn't handle the heat in my opinion. Competitive Championship football is a thing of the past for the Glenswilly man

Taylor

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 09:53:36 AM

Based on what?

Tyrone are now favourites to win Ulster after their display yesterday. Michael Murphy was rattled he couldn't handle the heat in my opinion. Competitive Championship football is a thing of the past for the Glenswilly man

Couldnt handle the heat or clearly wasnt 100% fit?

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Taylor on July 19, 2021, 10:15:47 AM

Based on what?

The man has put in a serious shift throughout the years but just take a good look at him. Man's past it fitness wise. Still has a wand of a right foot but lacks the physicality he once possessed. Another washed up all-star trying to prolong his stay in inter county football and is succeeding on merit alone.

yellowcard

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 10:19:29 AM

Based on what?

The man has put in a serious shift throughout the years but just take a good look at him. Man's past it fitness wise. Still has a wand of a right foot but lacks the physicality he once possessed. Another washed up all-star trying to prolong his stay in inter county football and is succeeding on merit alone.

Given the level of commitment required now, I can't think of too many 'washed up All Stars' who are staying on past their sell by date. If anything there are a lot more players retiring before their sell by dates.

Murphys best days are probably behind him but you can't tell me that he isn't in Donegal's top XV footballers should he opt to play on. He's probably still their most important player even now. A bit like Cluxton with Dublin though, he owes the county nothing.

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: yellowcard on July 19, 2021, 10:27:05 AM
Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 10:19:29 AM

Based on what?

Given the level of commitment required now, I can't think of too many 'washed up All Stars' who are staying on past their sell by date. If anything there are a lot more players retiring before their sell by dates.

Murphys best days are probably behind him but you can't tell me that he isn't in Donegal's top XV footballers should he opt to play on. He's probably still their most important player even now. A bit like Cluxton with Dublin though, he owes the county nothing.

Owes Donegal nothing surely but stars such as Murphy and Aido O'Shea were mesmeric on their day but that was long ago. Both Players are 31 and with the increased physicality in todays game these men find themselves at a crossroads were they have to focus on retaining their skill or fitness and it's clear what Murphy has chosen. Still a handy player but Donegal have such good youngsters pushing through if Murphy had any sense he would take a step back to a smaller role to allow the youth to flourish. He should be teaching these young Gaels insider secrets and lessons to last a lifetime. Instead it looks like Murphy will be taking that No.14 jersey to the grave with him.

thewobbler

If Michael Murphy can be considered done, then some new measuring tools are required

Armagh18

Quote from: APM on July 18, 2021, 10:33:00 PM
No thread for the Armagh Monaghan match, so posting here. 

Disappointed that Armagh lost the game, but felt that the supporters on both sides that were at the game were treated to a fantastic spectacle and superb atmosphere. It was literally thrilling.  The quality of the football (not the defending), some of the fielding (Rian O'Neill in particular) and the scoring.  The comeback and Monaghan's cool heads at the death. 

Reminded me of watching football in the 90's with the crowd heavily involved instead of sitting bored in the stands looking at their phones.  Had the kids with me and delighted that they were there to experience it - even though their team lost.  It's matches like this that makes youngsters fall in love with the games. 

Couldn't begrudge Monaghan the win under the tragic circumstances and hope they go on to beat Tyrone  ;D.
Totally agreed. Rian is up there with any of the better players in Ireland and is still only what 22? Absolutely gutted to lose it like that at the death, but what a game I doubt there will be better all year. Fair play to both teams for serving that up on a day as hot as Saturday. We are such a frustrating team to watch, we can have patches where we look like a top 3 team and then patches where we look like a Division 3 or 4 team.

Anyway, Division 1 status for another year and a kick of a ball away from an Ulster final. I think McGeeney will definitely get next year but if there's no Ulster final next year his time is up barring a really good qualifier run. If we could find another  3 or 4 Aidan Forkers and make Brendan Donaghy a few years younger we'd be laughing.

J70

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2021, 11:14:12 AM
If Michael Murphy can be considered done, then some new measuring tools are required

Yes.

A wee bit early to be writing his obituaries after a season in which he played one league game at full fitness and ended it getting the line because, due to being half-fit, he missed a pick-up he would normally pull off with his eyes closed.

He'll be 32 for next season. Maybe going forward they'll have to ask him at some point to ease up on the tracking back to save his legs, but things like his shooting, passing ability and his sheer vision and game intelligence should not be affected much.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2021, 11:38:57 AM

Yes.

A wee bit early to be writing his obituaries after a season in which he played one league game at full fitness and ended it getting the line because, due to being half-fit, he missed a pick-up he would normally pull off with his eyes closed.

He'll be 32 for next season. Maybe going forward they'll have to ask him at some point to ease up on the tracking back to save his legs, but things like his shooting, passing ability and his sheer vision and game intelligence should not be affected much.
Plenty of ball in that man yet. It's not as though he ever really relied on his speed so as you say, all his other qualities won't diminish.

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 19, 2021, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2021, 11:38:57 AM

Yes.

Plenty of ball in that man yet. It's not as though he ever really relied on his speed so as you say, all his other qualities won't diminish.

You men must've been wathcing a different Michael Murphy than me..... I suppose it's a common enough name

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

I see Angelo has reappeared  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea