Author Topic: Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.  (Read 470089 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Do you think Croke park is a viable location?
How many times a year is Clones used?
Do you not think the second city needs to be Ďupgradedí?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Duine Inteacht Eile

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
I donít think the GAA are being honest with themselves about the funding issue. I suppose they donít have much of a choice but to completely brass neck it as they have catapulted themselves down a blind alley with this stadium.

The only argument they have left is that soccer & rugby got their grounds developed so the GAA deserve to have theirs completed too.
The major difference is that neither Windsor nor Ravenhill ran over budget to almost double the original cost.
The GAA made a mess of their development and I can entirely understand the objection to rewarding this failure by doubling the funding, especially when the GAA itself refuses to add any further funds.
There is no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot the GAA would be going nuts about it and rightly so IMO.

6th sam

• View Profile
I donít think the GAA are being honest with themselves about the funding issue. I suppose they donít have much of a choice but to completely brass neck it as they have catapulted themselves down a blind alley with this stadium.

The only argument they have left is that soccer & rugby got their grounds developed so the GAA deserve to have theirs completed too.
The major difference is that neither Windsor nor Ravenhill ran over budget to almost double the original cost.
The GAA made a mess of their development and I can entirely understand the objection to rewarding this failure by doubling the funding, especially when the GAA itself refuses to add any further funds.
There is no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot the GAA would be going nuts about it and rightly so IMO.

Iíve probably changed my mind on casement over the years.

I know itís a ridiculously simple comparison , because money presumably canít be reallocated , but imagine if the expected £150m spend on Casement was spent on grass roots including facilities development , gameís development, community development, local employment, how much more it would help our association.
The only argument for a 34k facility is if it results in income generation and GAA promotion that helps the GAA and the community .
Clones is a more than adequate location for the one day in the year That itís filled.
Plough a few more £££ into Corrigan, for a quality ~10k stadium .
Sell casement.
Release government funds pro-rata to counties for facilities and grassroots development.

Much more sustainable model going forward ,

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile

Agree with this

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
Do you think Croke park is a viable location?
How many times a year is Clones used?
Do you not think the second city needs to be Ďupgradedí?

- Not really, but it has a long history of being the principal ground of the association.
- Exactly. Why build another?
- Nope.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile

I know itís a ridiculously simple comparison , because money presumably canít be reallocated , but imagine if the expected £150m spend on Casement was spent on grass roots including facilities development , gameís development, community development, local employment, how much more it would help our association.

Bin the stadium and open a new Roger Casement ward in the RVH.

With the change, hire some county development officers to go around the schools in Antrim coaching youngsters.

Far better use of the money than the white elephant.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile

Bin the stadium and open a new Roger Casement ward in the RVH.

With the change, hire some county development officers to go around the schools in Antrim coaching youngsters.

Far better use of the money than the white elephant.

Coaches go around Ulster you mean.  This isn't an Antrim project , it's Ulster money