Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Suppose we might as well start discussing...

Preliminary round: Down v Donegal, June 27 (1.15pm)

Quarter-final: Monaghan v Fermanagh, July 3 (3.30pm)

Quarter-final: Armagh v Antrim, July 4 (3.30pm)

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm)

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm)

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm)

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm)

Final: August 1 (3.15pm)

J70

Not much word yet about next Sunday. From our perspective we obviously hope Murphy, especially, and the rest of the injured players like Jamie Brennan, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath etc. are back and match fit.

I guess it's tradition, but Down always make me nervous. Donegal do not want to let them to get a run at them. They let Cavan do it last year in the final, and could not get control of the game back, bar that period in the first half when Cavan were down to the black card.

Itchy

If Mickey Graham can pull this off again I've no doubt the pope will be in contact with him.

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Preliminary round: Down v Donegal, June 27 (1.15pm) DONEGAL

Quarter-final: Monaghan v Fermanagh, July 3 (3.30pm) MONAGHAN

Quarter-final: Armagh v Antrim, July 4 (3.30pm) ARMAGH

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) TYRONE

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm) DONEGAL

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm) ARMAGH

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm) DONEGAL

Final: August 1 (3.15pm) DONEGAL

Predictions in bold. Donegal to win it but a lot will depend on the fitness of Murphy.

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on June 21, 2021, 12:17:59 PM
Not much word yet about next Sunday. From our perspective we obviously hope Murphy, especially, and the rest of the injured players like Jamie Brennan, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath etc. are back and match fit.

I guess it's tradition, but Down always make me nervous. Donegal do not want to let them to get a run at them. They let Cavan do it last year in the final, and could not get control of the game back, bar that period in the first half when Cavan were down to the black card.

Down will not make it easy for Donegal in Newry. They will flood the defence and will not kick the ball very much ball in typical Tally style. However they simply lack the quality required to beat Donegal. Complacency is what beat Donegal last year against Cavan and I don't see them making the same mistake again.

ardchieftain

On paper it looks like Armagh v Monaghan and tyrone v Donegal, to make the semi finals, but after last year year ye just can't be sure.
From an Armagh perspective, the primary mission of survival in the top flight has been achieved but this raises expectations with many supporters expecting an Ulster final appearance now.

Armagh18

Quote from: ardchieftain on June 21, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
On paper it looks like Armagh v Monaghan and tyrone v Donegal, to make the semi finals, but after last year year ye just can't be sure.
From an Armagh perspective, the primary mission of survival in the top flight has been achieved but this raises expectations with many supporters expecting an Ulster final appearance now.
An Ulster final appearance is definitely a realistic goal and I'd definitely be disappointed if we didn't get to one. No excuses not to be beating Antrim and we are definitely a better team than Monaghan.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2021, 01:58:01 PM

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) TYRONE

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm) DONEGAL

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm) ARMAGH

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm) DONEGAL

Final: August 1 (3.15pm) DONEGAL

Predictions in bold. Donegal to win it but a lot will depend on the fitness of Murphy.

If we pull manage to pull it off this year, it'll be probably the hardest Ulster we've ever won.

APM

Reminds me of the 1990s (especially 1997-98)

Armagh dark horses for Ulster  ::)

Armagh should easily beat Antrim, but given the way they clawed their way out of Division 4, they will be well up for it and it would be one of those games that you wouldn't want finishing up in a dogfight.  Monaghan will definitely beat Fermanagh, and them and Armagh are pretty evenly matched.  Recent performances would give Armagh the nod, but when you consider how Monaghan scraped their way past Galway, you couldn't bet against them. 

While I think this Armagh team have bags of talent and plenty of experience, this year seems a step too far. Progress has been slow but steady in the last few years and you would expect that to continue, even if they seem to have taken a leap forward this year through their league performances.  If they make the Ulster Final  - which they haven't done in 13 years, they'll be doing very well. 

Meanwhile, my other predictions:  ;D

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) TYRONE by a lot

Quarter-final: Derry v Donegal, July 11 (4pm) DRAW - DONEGAL TO WIN AET

Semi-final: Armagh v Monaghan, July 17 (4pm) DRAW - ARMAGH TO WIN AET

Semi-final: Tyrone v Donegal July 18 (2pm) DONEGAL by a cricket score setting Tyrone football back a generation

Final: August 1 (3.15pm) DONEGAL just about

imtommygunn

This is a more open ulster championship than in a long time. There are quite a few genuine contenders. If Murphy is properly fit it changes everything but I am not sure he will be in early stages at least.

Captain Obvious

Opportunity is there for Armagh to reach their first Ulster final in 13 years however it would be typical of Armagh when expectations are on that they don't grasp that opportunity.

Donegal look best placed to regain Anglo Celt Cup and incredibly for a side ranked top 4 for the last number of years this should be their first All Ireland semi final since 2014.

BennyCake

Something tells me to be more worried about Antrim than Monaghan. Armagh always find it hard to put teams away when we are favourites.

Anyway I don't like to get too far ahead of myself, but we are definitely going to win Ulster this year! ;)

Taylor

Preliminary round: Down v Donegal, June 27 (1.15pm) Donegal easily in a borefest

Quarter-final: Monaghan v Fermanagh, July 3 (3.30pm) Monaghan easily in a borefest

Quarter-final: Armagh v Antrim, July 4 (3.30pm) Armagh will eventually win easy

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) Tyrone to win easily

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm) Donegal beat Derry in a tight game

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm) Monaghan to beat an Armagh team to keep their poor record in Ulster going

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm) Donegal after a draw if Murphy is 100% fit - if not Tyrone

Final: August 1 (3.15pm) Donegal to beat Monaghan by 5

naka

Preliminary round: Down v Donegal, June 27 (1.15pm) Donegal

Quarter-final: Monaghan v Fermanagh, July 3 (3.30pm) monaghan

Quarter-final: Armagh v Antrim, July 4 (3.30pm) armagh

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) tyrone

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm) donegal

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm) armagh

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm) tyrone

Final: August 1 (3.15pm)  armagh

twohands!!!

Quote from: APM on June 21, 2021, 02:41:35 PM

Armagh should easily beat Antrim, but given the way they clawed their way out of Division 4, they will be well up for it and it would be one of those games that you wouldn't want finishing up in a dogfight. 

The standard in Division 4 was absolutely miles off Division 1.
Antrim won't be laying a glove on Armagh.
I wouldn't be surprise if Donegal build form and improve as the championship goes on.
I have a feeling that this will be the most predictable championship in a long while.

Preliminary round: Down v Donegal, June 27 (1.15pm) Donegal

Quarter-final: Monaghan v Fermanagh, July 3 (3.30pm) Monaghan

Quarter-final: Armagh v Antrim, July 4 (3.30pm) Armagh

Quarter-final: Tyrone v Cavan, July 10 (4.30pm) Tyrone

Quarter-final: Derry v Down/Donegal, July 11 (4pm) Donegal

Semi-final: Armagh/Antrim v Monaghan/Fermanagh, July 17 (4pm) Armagh

Semi-final: Tyrone/Cavan v Down/Donegal/Derry, July 18 (2pm) Donegal

Final: August 1 (3.15pm) Donegal to beat Armagh