Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

It's clear the penny is beginning to drop with various boneheads. Trouble is it'll probably be a decade before a serious discussion can be held about rejoining the EU.

APM

They'll never rejoin the EU.  The process of leaving was damaging enough never mind rejoining an EU that will potentially be more centralised.   I also doubt that the EU would have them.

Jayop

Quote from: APM on September 01, 2021, 04:46:07 PM
They'll never rejoin the EU.  The process of leaving was damaging enough never mind rejoining an EU that will potentially be more centralised.   I also doubt that the EU would have them.

How would anyone in the EU ever want them back? Since the day they joined they've been nothing but a pain in the arse for the project. In some ways that's probably been a good thing because some of the other larger countries would have pushed much harder for the "ever closer union" outlined in the 57 treaty. I'm all for the EU but within limits and I still feel each country should retain sovereignty over it's economy, taxation, it's borders etc. Perhaps without the Euro-Skeptics in England some of those sovereign items may have been removed.

I think eventually the whole brexit issue will settle down and ultimately Birtian and the EU will revert to having a good relationship albeit from a distance. It will get spiky again when Scotland eventually and inevitably gain independence and rejoin the EU. How will that effect the EU/GB relationship when they have a land border on the Island of Britain.

I'm a republican also and in truth Brexit has pushed the agenda for a United Ireland. That said I do also think that the protocol has the potential to make the north work economically far better than ever since partition, but the unionists simply can't see beyond the end of their nose. The protocol working has the potential to protect the current place they have, but sausages etc.

seafoid

The UK is weaker outside the EU.It has no geopolitical purpose.

https://www.ft.com/content/62bd638f-8986-4187-ab06-9f7fd1330e1c

Macmillan's successors often framed Britain's role as that of a bridge between Europe and the US, with influence in one amplifying its authority in the other.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

APM

The UK's international relevance is now plain to be seen in how the US have treated them in terms of the Afghan withdrawal.  They were not even consulted.   The Biden administration regards the UK Brexiteers with contempt.  There is no special relationship any more because the UK cannot be that bridge to Europe and the US doesn't even seem interested in using the UK as a mudguard in the way Bush operated with Blair. 

Sportacus

M&S confirm they won't be sending their Christmas boxes to NI this year. 

johnnycool

Quote from: Sportacus on September 17, 2021, 09:10:52 PM
M&S confirm they won't be sending their Christmas boxes to NI this year.

Garden Centre Unionists to join Jamie on the blue bins in protest at this decision..

Farrandeelin

Anybody know what the Loyalist communities want to replace the Protocol with?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

Also why can't I get gravy pots in the supermarket any more??

(No idea on the protocol - tbh I think it's as simple as a hard border. I was in a traffic jam in a place Friday and could see a lot of keep ulster British posters up. I am not sure an economical alternative is what is being looked for here...

Louther

The Tory party conference just about sums up what the UK are been led by and says a lot for the country that it will largely go unnoticed in their polling.

The grand sum of the Brexit strategy and recovery seems to be because they are British they will do great. Drink pints and eat Fish/chips for the public and let business sort out the issues.

bennydorano

5 points ahead of Labour in a Britain Elects survey today, unbelievable.

See the French threatening to cut power supplies to GB over fishing rights dispute, no doubt it's bluster and the Brexit w**ks would have a field day if it did happen, but I'd love to see it.

I wonder does Unionism look on atm and see the madness of GB and at least see SOME benefits of AI connections & integration, hopefully they are getting their eyes opened to the cretins & charlatans running the UK.
L