The Ched Evans Thread

Started by Franko, November 19, 2014, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

A couple of posters have suggested that he should go abroad. Because he's on licence he can't leave the UK for another 2-3 years.

GJL

Looks like he is getting the Oldham deal.

From the Bunker

Work around is he gets an industrial wage for playing for Oldham for the next three years (if he's good enough for them to keep him that long). The balance of his wages go to Charity!

BennyHarp

There's a fair old twisted sense of morality when you threaten someone's daughter with rape so a football club doesn't sign a convicted rapist.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ched-evans-oldham-deal-after-4941184
That was never a square ball!!

thebigfella

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 08, 2015, 09:43:50 PM
Work around is he gets an industrial wage for playing for Oldham for the next three years (if he's good enough for them to keep him that long). The balance of his wages go to Charity!

And here we get to the gist of it. It's not the rape which is the most offensive thing but the perceived salary he may or may not get.

From the Bunker

Quote from: thebigfella on January 08, 2015, 10:16:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 08, 2015, 09:43:50 PM

And here we get to the gist of it. It's not the rape which is the most offensive thing but the perceived salary he may or may not get.

That's the gist of it really!

AQMP

I see he has won his appeal, due to new evidence that cannot be revealed for legal reasons.

Edit:  He's going to face a retrial

nrico2006

His original conviction has now been quashed - what is the point in a retrial other than clearing his name?  Surely if he is convicted again he can't serve any more time?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 21, 2016, 10:30:25 AM
His original conviction has now been quashed - what is the point in a retrial other than clearing his name?  Surely if he is convicted again he can't serve any more time?

Maybe a compensation claim? I'd imagine a professional footballer who has had his livelihood taken away from him, not to mind your usual factors of damages etc, would have a massive claim against the state.

So maybe a new trial is a protection against that, if they still think he's guilty. Or maybe the retrial is at his request to clear his name altogether.

Nigel White

Does this now mean that the BBC and others can no longer refer to him as convicted rapist Ched Evans?

grounded

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2016, 10:33:53 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 21, 2016, 10:30:25 AM

Maybe a compensation claim? I'd imagine a professional footballer who has had his livelihood taken away from him, not to mind your usual factors of damages etc, would have a massive claim against the state.

So maybe a new trial is a protection against that, if they still think he's guilty. Or maybe the retrial is at his request to clear his name altogether.

As you say for compensation to be paid he would need to demonstrate his innocence  http://www.falselyaccused.co.uk/wrongful-convictions/compensation-for-wrongful-imprisonment/  in his case that would mean any claim would be capped at £500k.
  I'm not sure on the technicalities of the law but does this quashing mean that he is innocent or just not guilty of the crime? or is there a difference? I always assumed innocent until proven guilty.

AQMP

It's the prosecution seeking the retrial.  Think about it...if you've just been cleared of burgling your neighbour's house, would you demand a retrial??

gallsman

There is a difference between innocent and not guilty, yes. "Innocent" means you didn't do something. "Not guilty" means there was not enough evidence of your guilt and therefore continue to be presumed innocent.