All the pressure is on Kerry to deliver an All Ireland in 2021

Started by TheGreatest, May 13, 2021, 11:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

I'm starting to get a bit fed up already listening to the recriminations and excuses emanating from the media since yesterday's match. Much of the talk has been redirected from potential dynasties pre match (before even one AI has been won) towards 8 year famines and droughts that most other counties would yearn for. They were over hyped before the match due largely to recent success at U-18 level and a couple of star players in Clifford and O'Shea.

Paidi was right all those years ago, they are effing animals and I wouldn't like to be in Peter Keane's shoes over the next few months. I hope for his sake that he gets a proper chance to redeem himself but sadly I think he will have no say in the matter.

larryin89

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2021, 09:32:29 PM
I'm starting to get a bit fed up already listening to the recriminations and excuses emanating from the media since yesterday's match. Much of the talk has been redirected from potential dynasties pre match (before even one AI has been won) towards 8 year famines and droughts that most other counties would yearn for. They were over hyped before the match due largely to recent success at U-18 level and a couple of star players in Clifford and O'Shea.

Paidi was right all those years ago, they are effing animals and I wouldn't like to be in Peter Keane's shoes over the next few months. I hope for his sake that he gets a proper chance to redeem himself but sadly I think he will have no say in the matter.

Peter keane is the culprit.  What happens donnie buckley , who replaced him , a mountain climber ? Hes totally out of his depth , he had zero tactical plan for Tyrone.  Nah ,I'm not having it that Tyrone are a better side than kerry , management at fault just like cork game last year .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Hound

For a team that was supposedly tactically inept and supposedly not prepared for Tyrone's aggression and who missed one of the most gilt edged goal chances you'd ever see, they did draw the game. Against a team playing out of its skin.

Even in extra time, with Kerry out on their feet, down by 5 points, without their talisman, they still managed to give themselves a great chance to snatch a last gasp equalizer.

With some of the post match media analysis, you'd swear they were beat out the gate!

seafoid

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30951089.html
"the roll of honour is a more important thing to protect and that becomes a challenge for the next decade".
Mike Quirke, who looks set to be officially confirmed as the new Laois manager in the next 24 hours, echoed Fitzmaurice by describing the mood in Kerry as "absurdly positive", but warned that many feel Peter Keane's charges missed a glorious opportunity to dethrone the champions in the drawn game.

larryin89

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2021, 12:54:33 PM
For a team that was supposedly tactically inept and supposedly not prepared for Tyrone's aggression and who missed one of the most gilt edged goal chances you'd ever see, they did draw the game. Against a team playing out of its skin.

Even in extra time, with Kerry out on their feet, down by 5 points, without their talisman, they still managed to give themselves a great chance to snatch a last gasp equalizer.

With some of the post match media analysis, you'd swear they were beat out the gate!

I'd agree with all of that but still think Keane is out of his depth or simply incompetent as an inter county manager at this level

yellowcard

Quote from: larryin89 on August 30, 2021, 12:08:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2021, 09:32:29 PM

Peter keane is the culprit.  What happens donnie buckley , who replaced him , a mountain climber ? Hes totally out of his depth , he had zero tactical plan for Tyrone.  Nah ,I'm not having it that Tyrone are a better side than kerry , management at fault just like cork game last year .

All this talk of culprits and scapegoats is a bit harsh. It's not like Donie Buckley has won an AI title which is the only real currency for success in Kerry.

Football is not an exact science which is always won by the team with the best footballers. Players cannot be absolved of all responsibility and management hung out to dry.

Rossfan

Kerry's big run of Minor successes wasn't followed by u21/20 successes. The latter is where you're more likely to get your senior players from.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

The media narrative this week shouldn't be about Kerry embarrassment or failure. It should be about just how difficult it is to win an All Ireland now, compared to the 1980s.... even if a provincial title is a foregone conclusion.

And you know what? Football is a better game for it.

imtommygunn

larryin89

I understand all that and its certainly not an exact science thank fook but if you're failing to read a game during game time or if you've not prepared to combat the opposition tactics before hand is that down to players or management? For me , tyrone are very good at stopping runners off the shoulder , making it tight as fook, yet kerry kept running into it whilst having some very decent kickers . Might sound old fashioned but take your points might be apt .

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2021, 12:54:33 PM

It was the media narrative that put Kerry so far ahead of Tyrone before the games based mostly on the league encounter and Kerry league performance. It was based on weak enough data. So they needed someone to pin the blame on someone. The team lines ups were much closer before the game than many people wanted to admit!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

I think there is a bit of that tbh. I thought Kerry would beat Tyrone by a bit to spare but Tyrone were just better than them on the day.

Larry part of what you say I agree with but he didn't decide to pass the ball to O'Brien in the square, he didn't stand in the square when it was obvious, he didn't go from goal when a fisted point was on, didn't kick from a bad position last kick of the game etc. When the going got tough the decision making of some of Kerry's best players was found wanting. Tactics could have been better too mind you.