All-Ireland Club Championship

Started by DrinkingHarp, March 17, 2007, 07:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

QuoteFor all Croke's talk the past few weeks about Cross being a physical side, i thought that over the 2 games they (Crokes) were one of the most cynical sides i've seen in club football in recent years.

Mike I am very glad you said that.  I watched the "game" between Kerry and Tyrone on saturday evening and it and the club final for me shows up how nasty the "pure" football county has become.  Cross are no angels and there were some very dubious things carried out by Cross players, but no more than the Crokes.  The Crokes got a number of beneficial decisions yesterday, eg Gooch's push on Paul Kernan for his point, I would question the penalty as I think Skinny made a genuine attempt to get his fist to the ball and simply collided with the ball.  Borderline case which could have gone either way.  Francie got a busted nose and a free against him for his efforts despite the fact the Crokes man tried to burrow through his stomach.  Also there was a number of incidents of retaliation which went unpunished, one similar to the one that had Greg McCartan red carded a few years ago.

Irrespective of anything Cross were never losing.  I am especially pleased for Oisin.  If ever a man gave more to any one team than him I would love to know.  He is to Cross what Canavan is to Tyrone, although I think we could go on without him unlike Tyrone :P

Crokes may be back but they need to get some strenght up front.  All their forwards are quick and skillful but none of them win the dirty ball and without that you won't go that extra step.

BTW leave poor drinking harp alone, when he is old enough to drink harp he may understand :P

Imposerous

Just like to add my congratulations to Donal Murtagh and especially Martin Califf, a most unassuming and no-frills kind of fella.  You can be sure that he had a major say in the tactical   They have done an amazing job and have made some big calls in getting to and in the final(s).

it was a great weekend all together, apart from Saturday evening.

Armamike

Brokencrossbar, i wasn't just referring to the rough stuff, more the general level of fouling that went on all over the pitch which left both games very stop start. It looked to me like Crokes weren't even bothered with trying to tackle at times, particularly up the pitch - just foul and stop the man coming out with the ball, stopping any degree of momentum being built up.  Maybe i'm niaive but it seemed a bit extreme.
That's just, like your opinion man.

johnpower

congrats to Crossmaglen on their win no questions better team on the day .some really great points kicked at the end . Stop all the crap about cynical play if you want to open that debate then lets discuss  Fancies attack on the Gooch during the build up to the Goal . Sad to see the ref continuing the game with a player down obivioully injured .

Sandy Hill

The sincerest of congratulations to Cross; your record over the past 10 years has been only unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! Oh to belong to a club like that! Glad to have these men back for the County, but I sometimes wonder just how long can they keep going at both levels. Oisin can only be a legend!
"Stercus accidit"

Armagh Exile

I hear that Dr Crokes are having a rethink about yesterdays game and are holding a meeting tomorrow night.
Congratulations to the Greatest Club Team ever, Crossmaglen Rangers who were most worthy of their 4th All-Ireland title.

stew

To have the best club side in history is brilliant for Armagh and Cross were that before they wn the AI this year, Burren were a marvellous club side as well but I have never seen a team with a collective will to win than Cross, they are breathtaking when it comes to imposing their will when it matters.

I remember a game a few years ago against the Ogs in the championship, the Ogs dominated much of the proceedings and cross looked dead and buried but you just saw the screw turn and the Ogs tightened up and Cross ended up winning after a replay, they had no business winning that game and Dromintee have had them on the rack a few times but they refuse to be beaten and sheer will seems to get them over the finish line at times.

Crossmaglen Rangers, you are the greatest club team of all time, take a bow lads and enjoy the 4 title.

Crossbar, I am delighted for you and yours.  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stephenite

Out of interest - why are people calling Cross the best club team of all time? They are certainly up there with the best, and I'm not for one second trying disparage their remarkabel acheivments, but in terms of trophies won have they overtaken the likes of Nemo Rangers? I don't think so but could be wrong

armaghniac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Club_Football_Championship

Several of the Cross players have 4 medals, perhaps some people from Nemo also have 4.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: stephenite on April 03, 2007, 01:37:33 AM
Out of interest - why are people calling Cross the best club team of all time? They are certainly up there with the best, and I'm not for one second trying disparage their remarkabel acheivments, but in terms of trophies won have they overtaken the likes of Nemo Rangers? I don't think so but could be wrong
It's the continuity, that essentially the same team from '97 has been unbeaten in Armagh, taken 5 Ulsters and 4 All Irelands, whilst by now obviously a lot of the initial lads are gone, there are still a number of links.  It's fine to say that Nemo is the greatest club of all time, but Cross are undoubtedly the greatest club team!

brokencrossbar1

Stephenite,  Nemo have more Championships, 7 in total we are second.  I think the reason that people say we are the best ever is based on the longevity of the same team for the first three and the continued success in Armagh and Ulster.  When we catch them in a few years( ;)) then we can truly be described as the Greatest.  I  know we haven't caught up wth Ballina yet in regards to their 13 in a row but we're getting there. ;)

I heard on the radio on the way into work that although Crokes are not appealing the red card they are sending a letter of complaint to Croke Park in regard to "unsavoury" behaviour of some members of the supporters towards their bench and alleged unsavoury incidents on the sideline.  

stephenite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 03, 2007, 09:01:07 AM
Stephenite,  Nemo have more Championships, 7 in total we are second.  I think the reason that people say we are the best ever is based on the longevity of the same team for the first three and the continued success in Armagh and Ulster.  When we catch them in a few years( ;)) then we can truly be described as the Greatest.  I  know we haven't caught up wth Ballina yet in regards to their 13 in a row but we're getting there. ;)

I heard on the radio on the way into work that although Crokes are not appealing the red card they are sending a letter of complaint to Croke Park in regard to "unsavoury" behaviour of some members of the supporters towards their bench and alleged unsavoury incidents on the sideline.  

Hadn't thought about the one team to be honest when I posted that,for lads to have 4 AI Club medals really is amazing and they deserve all the accolades they get.

Now, the reason I bought up the 13 in a row in that PM to you was because I think I read Murtagh saying it was something he wanted to achieve and specifed beating Ballina's record,whether or not it is actually a record or not I'm unsure.

Cross and their supporters got a terrible going over in the Examiner today

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=29460-qqqx=1.asp

brokencrossbar1

It is amazing how a word can create an image "Intimidate" is a very storng word and brings in images of threats of violence.  To bandy this word about without saying what happened to my mind is wrong.  If anything happened I hope it is dealt with correctly as our club has always had the respect of many because of the way we deal with both victory and defeat.  Every club has idiots and if some of them have hit any of the Crokes palyers they should be banned by the club, but I have sat in a duggout and been on the ned of abuse many times from supporters and have accepted it. 

SlimShady

ffs, its a bit like ''ah we dont have any sour grapes and we wont be appealling but....''

intimidation? total bollocks, as BC says- if they were assaulted then yes, they have a case but intimidation?! get a grip.

how many times has anyone here had words with opposing subs/managers/supporters? it happens all the time, all it takes is for a supporter to shout something offensive at a player and the subs will stick up for him!

full back

Quote from: johnpower on April 02, 2007, 09:06:59 PM
Stop all the crap about cynical play if you want to open that debate then lets discuss  Fancies attack on the Gooch during the build up to the Goal .

FFS, catch a grip
Are you on the windup or what?