TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2021, 06:41:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 19, 2021, 06:29:18 PM
One of the worst waste of time series ''Lost'' at 19.

Christ that was Rubbish!

The punchline that everyone was dead was guessed early on, the script-writers denied this and had no plan B.

Proceeded to add loads of red-herring sub plot stories to disguise this.

Dead? Christ the night!! Spoiler alert
I'll chalk that one off the watch list.

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 19, 2021, 07:15:17 PM

Christ that was Rubbish!

The punchline that everyone was dead was guessed early on, the script-writers denied this and had no plan B.

;D

Main Street

Christ that was Rubbish!

That was a stunning spoiler though, the best so far?  There's no comeback from that one.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Main Street on October 19, 2021, 08:51:54 PM

Christ that was Rubbish!

That was a stunning spoiler though, the best so far?  There's no comeback from that one.

it was 15 years ago, everyone knows about it  ???

Jeepers Creepers

Christ that was Rubbish!

Think Bunker has done anyone who hasn't watched Lost a favour here.

Main Street

Has anyone watched  nr.13 Twin Peaks: The Return?

Silver hill

Quote from: JimStynes on October 19, 2021, 05:52:23 PM
A lot of shite shows on that list. I take it that's not in order? As band of brothers is way down the list and it is possibly the best pieces of TV ever made. One of favourites on there is The Shield. Loved that show and even better that was loosely based on a true story. I can't see my favourite show of all time on it either, Gomorrah

Great shout, Gomorrah is top drawer.

Main Street

Quote from: Silver hill on October 19, 2021, 09:53:42 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 19, 2021, 05:52:23 PM
A lot of shite shows on that list. I take it that's not in order? As band of brothers is way down the list and it is possibly the best pieces of TV ever made. One of favourites on there is The Shield. Loved that show and even better that was loosely based on a true story. I can't see my favourite show of all time on it either, Gomorrah

Great shout, Gomorrah is top drawer.
Band of Brothers is sheer class. The Shield is more than loosely based on a true story, the Shield  story line was actually way ahead of its time. The BBC podcast Bad Cops tells the incredible true story of the rise and fall of Baltimore's elite Gun Trace Task Force,  hero villain Sgt. Wayne Jenkins had a a lot of 'Vic' in him and much more. They literally waged war against the citizenry,  with brazen armed robberies and framing evidence against.

thewobbler

Band of Brothers belongs in its own special category.

It's not like a 4 or 5 series concept where the writers take multiple arcs and then tweak/evolve the original idea as characters and storylines resonate. It's a faithful visualisation of a book. Because it's such an extraordinary visualisation, it deserves the highest kudos possible. But it had very different challenges to the big HBO etc dramas.

—-

Lost was the most frustrating waste of time. As a viewer, I kept waiting for the reward for my patience. Kept waiting for the pieces to fall into place. And as the final series progressed and it became obvious that not one single loose end would be tied up, it was infuriating. It should come with a health warning.

—-

For my money, Better Call Saul is streets ahead of Breaking Bad. It's a better story with better characters.

Fargo would have been top 5 had it not been for that truly appalling most recent series.

Jell 0 Biafra

I'm clearly not reading the room here, but I thought Fargo's last season was great, albeit after an admittedly  slow start.

Likewise, Lost had its moments.  Far too much soapy stuff in the alternate reality they had going on in the last couple of seasons.   But it did cliff-hanger endings better than any series I know.  I enjoyed all the time travel and other weird shit they threw at us.  I had no problems with the ending.

Though then again, I might not be the one to ask here, as  I thought the ending to The Sopranos was top notch.

Silver hill

Didn't watch lost so can't comment.
Fargo was more than decent including the last series.
No issues myself with the way the sopranos ended. Everything doesn't have to be explained and loose ends tied up.

lurganblue

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2021, 03:05:19 AM
I'm clearly not reading the room here, but I thought Fargo's last season was great, albeit after an admittedly  slow start.

Likewise, Lost had its moments.  Far too much soapy stuff in the alternate reality they had going on in the last couple of seasons.   But it did cliff-hanger endings better than any series I know.  I enjoyed all the time travel and other weird shit they threw at us.  I had no problems with the ending.

Though then again, I might not be the one to ask here, as  I thought the ending to The Sopranos was top notch.

There is a theme with people not liking the end to shows.  I think it is their disappointment that a thing they have loved has come to an end. Or maybe people just think they could write better stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed the end of Sopranos. Re-watched it a couple of times in fact just to get a better feel for it.  More unpopular endings that i enjoyed include Game of Thrones and Line of Duty.

Lost was a disappointment. 

Milltown Row2

The problem for Lost was it became such a big popular show that they milked the ass right out of it, it should have ended sooner..

Its ok to have a 3 or 4 season show, a lot of the European shows don't have these multiple seasons of the same shit, or if you are having these have like 5 episodes rather than 15!!

My wife's attention span for these types of shows has now gone completely, works for me then as I'll head up to bed after putting on one of my shows for an hour.

after saying all that something will come along that'll I'll end up watching for ages!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: lurganblue on October 20, 2021, 09:06:30 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2021, 03:05:19 AM

There is a theme with people not liking the end to shows.  I think it is their disappointment that a thing they have loved has come to an end. Or maybe people just think they could write better stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed the end of Sopranos. Re-watched it a couple of times in fact just to get a better feel for it.  More unpopular endings that i enjoyed include Game of Thrones and Line of Duty.

Lost was a disappointment.

I really enjoyed the ending of Sopranos. And of the Wire, BB, The Americans, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, The Office, Friday Night Lights.

Lost stands alone as being a crushing disappointment. That final series was like when you know you're been conned, and you're filled with rage rather than respect, but circumstances dictate you've no choice but to watch the conman slowly exit stage left. What a shambles.

bennydorano

Lost is a great example of an unexpected mega hit that the writers had no idea of the overall arc of the story, but the studio knew how to milk  it.