Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2023, 11:28:10 AM
Quote from: mouview on July 24, 2023, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 09:12:53 AM
Or when it's close calls can have a major bearing on the outcome  ;D

Kilkenny reverted to type a lot too though so while they improved this year in nearly all of their games I kind of felt they regressed a bit yesterday.

Hard to see Limerick's dominance being broken any time soon. Finn to come back in, Lynch to get a good year behind him, Hannon to come back etc. I dunno how they'll fit all those players in if they're all fit.

Hayes right pick for POTY. Beast of a man.

Don't see that Kilkenny improved this year. Got a lot of lucky breaks to reach the final and Reid didn't actually score from play yesterday or in the semi. Four of their forwards were swapped out yesterday, (did Billy Ryan even touch the ball?) and midfield beaten up a stick. If anything, the scoreline flattered Kilkenny yesterday, very mediocre team by their standards. Gave a much better account of themselves in last year's decider.
reminscent of the Galway semi

Wonder will Anthony 'Dalo' start spouting about Kilkenny going out with "zero honour" yesterday?

NAG1

What is the tactical way to beat them?

There aren't many chinks in the armour and they seem to be able to adapt in game to various scenarios.

Also they are bringing players off the bench who would be starting on most if not all the other teams, similar to Dublin in the football few years ago.

Kidder81

Quote from: NAG1 on July 24, 2023, 01:24:00 PM
What is the tactical way to beat them?

There aren't many chinks in the armour and they seem to be able to adapt in game to various scenarios.

Also they are bringing players off the bench who would be starting on most if not all the other teams, similar to Dublin in the football few years ago.

Yeah and maybe Cork are coming, hard to tell but that Kilkenny team is on the wane & last year was probably the best of them. Quite a few the wrong side of 30

Always hear people saying you have to weather that third quarter Limerick storm, how though ?

Scoring 30 points in those conditions is obscene

imtommygunn

They're exactly like dublin and would beat the best of the rest. Twice in a row now teams think they have sussed them out in the first 25 minutes or so and they have just analysed things, tweaked things and then blew the opposition away.

Milltown Row2

Teams that get a great start on them can't then deal with the intensity that comes when they get motoring, so fitness wise for starters Limerick are staying the full 73mins of the game, physically they are on top, their fielding of the ball is hard to beat and their accuracy is amazing.

They have a half back line that is gobbling up high ball, that ball is laid off to a runner or into space for someone to collect turn and score.

So basically you need to match them in the fitness/physicality areas before you get started on beating them tactically

You have to match or better their fighting qualities and Kilkenny did that aplenty in the first half, but never really touched leather (or man) there after in comparison

Closing off some of their better players allowed others to shine, so game planning that would need to be looked at too.

If I was a manager I'd be sweeping the clubs for big physical lumps, get them to a standard fitness wise then develop their skills, the small skillful hurler is a dying bread at intercounty level

Controlling possession is a must also for the other teams, you will lose most 50/50 balls against Limerick, be it a running game or short passing game or mixture of both its got to result in a score each time you work the ball out of defence

There is a difference though with how people looked at the great Dublin team and this Limerick team, the hurling fraternity are enjoying the skills on show and while you would love multiple teams winning it, Limerick are sticking two fingers up to the likes of Tipp, Cork, Kilkenny and they must be wondering how can they get past them?

When Dublin were flat out winning everyone was blaming the money, population and looking to split Dublin, and its unfair blah blah blah. People will no doubt highlight the JP money, but Limerick would be small enough to other counties, a dual county also they are just working with a great team that will eventually get old, how the management bring in players each time each year will show if they are actually going to maintain this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 02:28:34 PM
They're exactly like dublin and would beat the best of the rest. Twice in a row now teams think they have sussed them out in the first 25 minutes or so and they have just analysed things, tweaked things and then blew the opposition away.

That's Kinnerk for you. Very astute.

The thing about Limerick is that they don't go for, or even need goals.  They'll hit 30 points. Frightening.

Although T.J. didn't score from.play in the final this past two years, you could see he was trying to create a goal chance. He could have hit a handy point of two but knew KK needed goals.  I'd say that was their plan. Try and create goal opportunities.

Gillane and Flanagan were poor by their high standards so the defence, espacially Lawlor did a good job. He's turning into a might full-back.

KK needed Fogarty, Donnelly and Keoghan to have the games of their lives, but it never happened.  You'd need KK to play Limerick in the first half and then Galway to play them in the second half to make any inroads.

Look at  Peter Casey, 5 pts in first half a couple of years ago, then went off with the cruciate (probably would have got MOTM if he wasn't injured), came back last year and then got MOTM yesterday with another 5 pts. What an operator! 

Two new players in Finn and Hannon next year - as I say frightening.

mouview

Quote from: marty34 on July 24, 2023, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 02:28:34 PM

That's Kinnerk for you. Very astute.

The thing about Limerick is that they don't go for, or even need goals.  They'll hit 30 points. Frightening.

Although T.J. didn't score from.play in the final this past two years, you could see he was trying to create a goal chance. He could have hit a handy point of two but knew KK needed goals.  I'd say that was their plan. Try and create goal opportunities.

Gillane and Flanagan were poor by their high standards so the defence, espacially Lawlor did a good job. He's turning into a might full-back.

KK needed Fogarty, Donnelly and Keoghan to have the games of their lives, but it never happened.  You'd need KK to play Limerick in the first half and then Galway to play them in the second half to make any inroads.

Look at  Peter Casey, 5 pts in first half a couple of years ago, then went off with the cruciate (probably would have got MOTM if he wasn't injured), came back last year and then got MOTM yesterday with another 5 pts. What an operator! 

Two new players in Finn and Hannon next year - as I say frightening.

The elusive 5-in-a-row feat would be quite a carrot for Limerick next year, but who's to say they will still have the same hunger and desire to start all over again in November? They were in danger enough of being knocked out v. Cork late in the match, so maybe the round-robin is the key to stopping them in 2024. There's also the possibility of more injuries being incurred and it may take Finn and Hannon a while to get back up to match sharpness next season as well. In addition, how strong really is their bench? O'Neill made a difference certainly but when he started games earlier in the season, he struggled to retain his place. Add in to the mix the fact that Flanagan, Hegarty and Tom Morrissey were fitful enough yesterday too.

Guess what I'm trying to say that as awesome as they were yesterday, their display was accentuated by a terribly poor one from KK who threw in the towel once Limerick wiped out the second goal-lead. Not impossible that someone could yet do a Tipp-2010 next year.

Kidder81

Tipp were coming though in 2010 with a good age profile, probably should have beaten KK in 09 but for some great goalkeeping from PJ Ryan & then the Benny Dunne red mist. Not sure I see a team like that next year

imtommygunn

Mouview I think you are being a bit harsh on Kilkenny there.

naka

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2023, 05:13:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 23, 2023, 05:00:13 PM
Some insane scores from Limerick here. Incredible team and am absolutely monstrous performance. They kept Gillane relatively quiet, especially in second half and I say relatively only because of his impossibly high standards. Flanagan and Tom Morrissey relatively quiet as well and then so many others step up.

KK def had a chance to win this year but they needed everyone to turn up. Walter didn't work out at all and had a few terrible shots, Mullen couldn't get into the game at all and I'm not sure Cody has touched the ball in the second half.

On top of everything, limerick's touch is still noticeably leagues ahead.
Limerick  94 were real. These multiple winners in football and hurling backed by money that nobody else gets  it's not GAA
Even before the teams broke off from the parade the sheer difference in the physicality of both teams was evident
It was a professional team against an amateur team
Hoped Kilkenny would win simply as its now a flawed system
Monies are ruining the gaa

naka

Quote from: naka on July 24, 2023, 07:55:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2023, 05:13:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 23, 2023, 05:00:13 PM
Some insane scores from Limerick here. Incredible team and am absolutely monstrous performance. They kept Gillane relatively quiet, especially in second half and I say relatively only because of his impossibly high standards. Flanagan and Tom Morrissey relatively quiet as well and then so many others step up.

KK def had a chance to win this year but they needed everyone to turn up. Walter didn't work out at all and had a few terrible shots, Mullen couldn't get into the game at all and I'm not sure Cody has touched the ball in the second half.

On top of everything, limerick's touch is still noticeably leagues ahead.
Limerick  94 were real. These multiple winners in football and hurling backed by money that nobody else gets  it's not GAA
Even before the teams broke off from the parade the sheer difference in the physicality of both teams was evident
It was a professional team against an amateur team
Hoped Kilkenny would win simply as its now a flawed system
Monies are ruining the gaa
Jeez Limerick had a back room team akin to a premier league side

seafoid

Limerick's advantage is S&C., not hurling Happened after 25 min in the semi and at half time in the final. After this they take over. A team may want to change this next year. Because of 2019 Limerick are going for 5 and not 7

imtommygunn

You fixate on the money too much. Yes they are way ahead s and c wise but they also have fantastic hurlers.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: mouview on July 24, 2023, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 09:12:53 AM
Or when it's close calls can have a major bearing on the outcome  ;D

Kilkenny reverted to type a lot too though so while they improved this year in nearly all of their games I kind of felt they regressed a bit yesterday.

Hard to see Limerick's dominance being broken any time soon. Finn to come back in, Lynch to get a good year behind him, Hannon to come back etc. I dunno how they'll fit all those players in if they're all fit.

Hayes right pick for POTY. Beast of a man.

Don't see that Kilkenny improved this year. Got a lot of lucky breaks to reach the final and Reid didn't actually score from play yesterday or in the semi. Four of their forwards were swapped out yesterday, (did Billy Ryan even touch the ball?) and midfield beaten up a stick. If anything, the scoreline flattered Kilkenny yesterday, very mediocre team by their standards. Gave a much better account of themselves in last year's decider.

Tbh maybe when you think about it they haven't improved that much. I would say this though - they were pretty much too good for Clare. While that was tight and there was the odd call here or there you never really got the feeling Clare would win that game. Yes they were lucky enough against Galway mind you.

I don't think against a team as physical as Limerick some of their players are quite at that physical level. I don't think any other team is mind you.

Reid can do a lot without scoring too though. I think he struggled yesterday but he did cause bother against Clare.
Kilkenny had a jammy Leinster final win. They are a similar level to Galway, ahead of Tipp, Cork, Waterford and  Clare
. KK and Galway are hurling teams who don't  do S& C a la Limerick.  Maybe they will.

imtommygunn

I hate to break it to you but Galway have plenty of beasts in there too. They do plenty of strength and conditioning. They just don't do it as well and probably don't have hurlers of the same level.