Schumi injured...

Started by mouview, December 29, 2013, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on December 29, 2013, 01:02:54 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25542340
Best of luck to him in making a full recovery. Off piste is more dangerous now because there is less snow and more ice in the Alps.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

StephenC

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews

French media are reporting that Michael Schumacher's condition has worsened and that his life is now in danger http://bit.ly/Ke5F27

Tony Baloney

Early reports had him as walking away and now it sounds like he is clinging. Liam Neeson's wife died in a similar fashion after what seemed a fairly innocuous bang on the head when skiing.

orangeman

theskull1

Accidents do happen of course....but how was off piste a good idea in the current conditions?

I hope he makes a full recovery. Terrible thing to hear
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Looking at the size of the rocks where Michael went off piste, it's no wonder he's in such bad shape after hitting his head. It's going to be a tough, long road for him. Please God he makes a full recovery.

Is wearing helmets compulsory now when skiing ?

Rois

Quote from: orangeman on December 31, 2013, 12:50:36 AM
Looking at the size of the rocks where Michael went off piste, it's no wonder he's in such bad shape after hitting his head. It's going to be a tough, long road for him. Please God he makes a full recovery.

No, not compulsory for adults, and there seems to be two schools of thought on helmets - some make the argument that wearing one reduces peripheral vision and hearing, and psychologically makes you less conscious of others as you believe yourself to be a bit more invincible, thereby increasing your risk of having an accident.
There are no stats on any of this as helmets are relatively new, and it is more likely that those currently wearing helmets are newer to the sport and more likely to fall over/cause collisions due to inexperience. Experienced skiers are less likely to have worn helmets when they were learning years ago, and therefore less likely to wear them now.
We went out yesterday and bought one for Mr Rois-to-be, and I'll rent one in resort.

Praying he recovers from this freak accident.

Last Man

Quote from: Rois on December 31, 2013, 05:19:36 AM
Quote from: orangeman on December 31, 2013, 12:50:36 AM

No, not compulsory for adults, and there seems to be two schools of thought on helmets - some make the argument that wearing one reduces peripheral vision and hearing, and psychologically makes you less conscious of others as you believe yourself to be a bit more invincible, thereby increasing your risk of having an accident.
There are no stats on any of this as helmets are relatively new, and it is more likely that those currently wearing helmets are newer to the sport and more likely to fall over/cause collisions due to inexperience. Experienced skiers are less likely to have worn helmets when they were learning years ago, and therefore less likely to wear them now.
We went out yesterday and bought one for Mr Rois-to-be, and I'll rent one in resort.

Praying he recovers from this freak accident.
My view on it is if you wear a hat you may as well wear a helmet. For me goggles or glasses have more impact on peripheral vision so worth trying a few to get what suits you best. I personally wouldnt take to the slopes without it now.

Saffrongael

His condition has improved according to bbc

Good news
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

orangeman

His age and fitness level will stand to him.

Good news that he has improved.

Asal Mor

Never got the attraction of skiing myself. I liked what Dylan Moran said about it, "Why would you bother going skiing when you can sit in the comfort of your own armchair and break your knees with a hammer?".

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 31, 2013, 01:18:36 PM
Never got the attraction of skiing myself. I liked what Dylan Moran said about it, "Why would you bother going skiing when you can sit in the comfort of your own armchair and break your knees with a hammer?".
Crossing the road is possibly more dangerous. I am not sure. Skiing is defo safer than rugby or driving
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 31, 2013, 01:18:36 PM

Of all peoples, we should know the attraction of going on the pis(te).

orangeman

He's still making progress which is great to hear.

He's got lucky and obviously the helmet saved him.