Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2021, 01:45:03 PM
There won't be able to be overnight stays yet surely?

I really think this fixture needs looked at.

Hotels open up in the South tomorrow I heard.

I said it the last time, giving up home advantage is a no go for me, regardless of the cost it is to another county, the journey time is 4 hours, not 90 hours.

The game should be fixed for a evening throw in, either 5 or 6pm . That would allow plenty time to head down. We knew the fixtures and set up would mean an away semi final should we have got to it, Id be biting your hand off at the start of the fixtures if you said you are playing Waterford away from home in the semi final.

The logistics are what they are.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ah I thought it was Monday hotels opened. That makes it not as bad.

bannside

I will head down and stay over on the Saturday night somewhere, and like a idiot hunt about to see if I can get in the gate somehow. Madness I know. Haven't been beat yet lol.

Waterford will throw the kitchen sink at this like never before. We cannot take anything for granted here. Get three or four of their best forwards tightly man to man marked even if it does mean diluting a bit of our attack attack attack ethos. Defenders need to defend first and foremost and a bonus is if some of them can break tackles at 100 mph. Our selectors are putting natural forwards into key defensive positions and are not looking at the stats.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here...but tighten it up at the back please please please.

imtommygunn

There's too much space in front of the full back line. I am not sure exactly what the issue is here but the likes of Sweeney being fit would be a help.

You're a trier BS lol. I am sure you'd be able to see it ok.

bannside

Sweeney never let the county down ITG that's for sure. But what's his best position at county level.

Look lots going on to like as well. Two massive plusses for me this year are both new GKs. Michael and Luke, both great shot stoppers and fantastic precision kick outs.

Their ability to hang the ball in the air with accuracy is bringing out the best in big Niall (2 great games in a row) and find of year so far, Conor Stewart. We are winning first phase possession for first time in years.

Credit where its due for that.

imtommygunn

Yeah I am very happy with anything I see to be honest. Yes we could concede less but we are playing better football than I have seen in a long time. Sweeney best position sweeping wing half forward IMO.

Beating waterford would be ideal and then the armagh game anything we get out of that is a bonus. We're definitely playing much better but 4 to 1 is a stretch.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on June 01, 2021, 03:27:43 PM
Sweeney never let the county down ITG that's for sure. But what's his best position at county level.

Look lots going on to like as well. Two massive plusses for me this year are both new GKs. Michael and Luke, both great shot stoppers and fantastic precision kick outs.

Their ability to hang the ball in the air with accuracy is bringing out the best in big Niall (2 great games in a row) and find of year so far, Conor Stewart. We are winning first phase possession for first time in years.

Credit where its due for that.

Agree with all.

We are unbelievably porous at the back ...needs sorted asap!

As you said this is Waterfords biggest chance in living   memory of a chance of them getting to div 3...them having scraped a win in 1 match.

They Will throw the absolute kitchen sink at us. I remember in 08 we needed a point v Waterford or tipp in our last 2 games to get to div 3...we fcuked it right up. Please god we get over them...we've a great attack and midfield so have every reason to be confident!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Exactly Gold. If history has taught us anything it is not to underestimate any opposition. This is like an All Ireland final to Waterford and you can be sure they have their share of handy footballers.

They will see we have conceded 63 points in three games of football and fancy having a piece of that. Not to mind what Armagh must be thinking!

Start with men in defence who can stop the opposition scoring -  that would be a good start. Build from there out. There's two sets of goalposts on the pitch!

It's fantastic where we are, when was the last time any supporter saw us winning with the last kick of the ball three weeks in a row. Fantastic entertainment, but let's get a bit more practical in defence and who knows where this journey will end.

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on June 01, 2021, 11:37:01 PM
Exactly Gold. If history has taught us anything it is not to underestimate any opposition. This is like an All Ireland final to Waterford and you can be sure they have their share of handy footballers.

They will see we have conceded 63 points in three games of football and fancy having a piece of that. Not to mind what Armagh must be thinking!

Start with men in defence who can stop the opposition scoring -  that would be a good start. Build from there out. There's two sets of goalposts on the pitch!

It's fantastic where we are, when was the last time any supporter saw us winning with the last kick of the ball three weeks in a row. Fantastic entertainment, but let's get a bit more practical in defence and who knows where this journey will end.

Seems like the football management can't win regardless of who it is. We have experienced years of dull boring drab defensive crap, now we are high scoring and high conceding but still winning and we still aren't happy  :) :) :)

Take a look across the board all divisions I dont think there has been a higher scoring season in my memory anywhere so the trend seems to be set. Jaysus even Armagh are scoring goals so things must be changing.

Winning is winning and no matter how you get it done as long as you do then that's all that matters.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 02, 2021, 09:01:13 AM

Seems like the football management can't win regardless of who it is. We have experienced years of dull boring drab defensive crap, now we are high scoring and high conceding but still winning and we still aren't happy  :) :) :)

Take a look across the board all divisions I dont think there has been a higher scoring season in my memory anywhere so the trend seems to be set. Jaysus even Armagh are scoring goals so things must be changing.

Winning is winning and no matter how you get it done as long as you do then that's all that matters.

Well said
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: NAG1 on June 02, 2021, 09:01:13 AM

Here don't get me wrong it's absolutely class!  Winning games and scoring heavily is magic!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

And the drama of these last minute winners. Not an Antrim supporter who wouldn't have taken your arm off for this scenario. With any luck we will be in a higher grade next year and management will have a lot more time to find the right system for us. I suppose all we need to do for now is enjoy the moment and hope we are still smiling in ten days.

BigBallWeeBall

Haven't heard much about Gaelfast lately. What's the latest Ground ie?
I'm sure Belfast GAA man could enlighten us.

Christmas Lights

Do St Galls have much youth coming through?  On a lot of the reports, seems their old hands are still battling away but perhaps there might not be many years left in them, will there be a rapid decline once those warriors go?  None of the McGourtys feature now at all?

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 03, 2021, 12:31:24 PM
Do St Galls have much youth coming through?  On a lot of the reports, seems their old hands are still battling away but perhaps there might not be many years left in them, will there be a rapid decline once those warriors go?  None of the McGourtys feature now at all?

On that note of older players, I went up to the SW Cargin/Portglenone game. Cargin had played 3 U19s and 3 U18s all from last years minor team, a Cargin supporter from the family circle proudly announced to me. He further proudly boasted that was 8 of their first minor winning team of two seasons ago playing senior. I went home depressed.