Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on May 29, 2021, 07:13:21 PM
Exactly Brendan. A polished performance tomorrow will leave us going into the play off in good shape, confidence flowing. Louth beat them by 9 points last week so Leitrim have nothing to play for.....except pride which can be dangerous! Home venue also worth a few points. I like the look of the handicap betting, even money minus two points. I've had a decent cut at that!

That's why there aren't any poor bookies !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bannside

Exactly Big G. I doubled up on Louth in the handicap as well both winning comfortably, was counting too early.

We have lost more than our share of those dog fights over the years, so coming back for the winner three weeks in a row is a trait to like.

What was I saying yesterday about a lucky manager! It will take more than luck though and a lot of work to be done I'm afraid if we are going to be competitive in Div 3.

Gold

Great balls to win in the end for a 3rd time in a row...love it

Why are we away to Waterford?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

delgany

Quote from: Gold on May 30, 2021, 11:31:06 PM
Great balls to win in the end for a 3rd time in a row...love it

Why are we away to Waterford?
As part of the agreed format- semi final venues are based on number of home and away fixtures.
Antrim had 2 home fixs. Waterford had 1 home.
If it had have been the same - it was a coin toss for home advantage .

bannside

Don't think Antrim should travel to Waterford given that this Covid thing still isn't over. I mean can the players even travel in the same bus to the match?

I think Waterford should accommodate our very reasonable request to play at a neutral venue in a location in between! Yes/No. Under the circumstances that would be a sporting thing to do!

Milltown Row2

Make a night of it Bannside, the weather generally nice in Waterford, hire a camper and head down, no need to 'book' in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: bannside on May 31, 2021, 09:31:24 AM
Don't think Antrim should travel to Waterford given that this Covid thing still isn't over. I mean can the players even travel in the same bus to the match?

I think Waterford should accommodate our very reasonable request to play at a neutral venue in a location in between! Yes/No. Under the circumstances that would be a sporting thing to do!

Did Antrim not accommodate Waterford last year by playing in Dundalk ?

antrimman667

Quote from: bannside on May 31, 2021, 09:31:24 AM

you have to think would we do it for them? cant see much chance of this happening

bannside

There is precedent...and we set it to suit Waterford. If there was any sporting integrity they would reciprocate our gesture last year.

asaffgael

12.15 throw in. Are teams allowed to travel the night before the game and stay over? Otherwise that is a disgraceful time to have it after that journey.

Sportacus

IMHO just play the game and not a word about it.  It'll just be a big drain of energy if it becomes a talking point.

Gold

Quote from: Sportacus on May 31, 2021, 07:47:49 PM
IMHO just play the game and not a word about it.  It'll just be a big drain of energy if it becomes a talking point.

Agreed.  Get down and hammer into them
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

johnnycool

Quote from: asaffgael on May 31, 2021, 05:47:13 PM
12.15 throw in. Are teams allowed to travel the night before the game and stay over? Otherwise that is a disgraceful time to have it after that journey.

GAA rules on travelling by bus is that you're only allowed 50% of the normal capacity so Antrim will need two buses and go down that morning.

Down hurlers had to do that against Kerry a few weeks back and ran out of puff in the second half.

Not ideal but I think hotel stays are still prohibited..

Surely a neutral venue midway makes sense to everyone, even in Croke Park FFS.

bannside

What planet do GAA fixtures committee live in. The cost of two buses plus overnight stays for 50 people if you include the co board and extended management will leave little change out of £10k.

That's a fair chunk of money that shouldn't need to be spent.

And that's not my only worry. What about the average of 20 points a game we are conceding. Jesus wept...what's going on there? If we weren't getting out of jail the way we are, some tough questions would be asked!

imtommygunn

There won't be able to be overnight stays yet surely?

I really think this fixture needs looked at.