Cavan V Dublin

Started by cavan4ever, February 25, 2008, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Saw the game on TV and by God the conditions were conducive to a good flowing game of football........I had serious problems working out which team was which at times as the jerseys were pretty close to each other in the wet and can understand why people were mispassing...

From a Dublin point of view -
While it was a poor start and we went 5 points to 1 down after 18 mins it was due to missed chances rather than being dominated....
Keeping them to 2 points for the rest of the game was very good even with Henry struggling on Seanie....Griffen is required back...
Half back line were ok and Casey surprised me as thought he would have been worse but Brennan/Cahill to come back...
Fennell/Ryan didn't do much right, didn't do much wrong - Fennell needs to improve his tackling skills and anyone any idea what he would be like on a hot summers day as he strikes me as a wet weather footballer....
Forwards missed too many chances - I would leave Brogan in at corner forward and get him working really really hard on his shooting and passing....B Brogan played well as did Vaughan...

lynchbhoy

really enjoyed this game on TV.
Terrible conditions so cant blame the players for poor handling, passing and shooting etc.
Didnt have a prob with the jerseys, then again with the raindrops on the camera lense, it was hard to see anything!

Cavan certainly tried hard and can hopefully build on that.
dublin putting a lot of second and third strng players out for their chance. Caffrey needs to figure out his best XV and where and how to play them

cavan4ever

Though Dublin were lucky to finish with 15 players.  Fennell should have gone after a high challenge straight after he had being booked but the referee chickened out of it.  Then later on Vaughan went in and struck John Cunningham twice with a closed fist when he had Whelan in a headlock.  Probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway because Cavan were not looking like scoring anyway. 

Stagmeister

Thought Dublin were very poor on saturday night, their distribution was absolutely brutal, I know the conditions were bad but even allowing for this they kicked way too many bad passes and some of these passes weren't just missing their intended target by a yard or two they were missing it by 5 to 10 yards.
Dublin seem to put in at least two league performances of this standard every year...It doesn't really matter when they do it at this time of year but the problem is that its bad shooting and bad passing that lets them down in the middle of summer as well and it doesn't look like they are going to improve on this aspect of their game this year. Would like to know what if anything is done in training to try and remedy this.

Fennell was lucky not to go alright, that high tackle definitely warranted a yellow card, although his first yellow was a bit harsh..
Don't know what you saw in the John Cunningham incident, thought that was a nothing incident, Vaughan did nothing wrong there at all...

Only real plus to be taken from this game from a Dublin perspective was the performance of Mark Vaughan and maybe McManamon who is showing a bit of potential.

Vaughan's 45 from the right side of the pitch was pure class and definitely the highlight of the game for me...

heffo

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 03, 2008, 03:05:18 PM
Though Dublin were lucky to finish with 15 players.  Fennell should have gone after a high challenge straight after he had being booked but the referee chickened out of it.  Then later on Vaughan went in and struck John Cunningham twice with a closed fist when he had Whelan in a headlock.  Probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway because Cavan were not looking like scoring anyway. 

Poor aul Cavan - all they wanted to do was play open honest football.

Gnevin

Quote from: Stagmeister on March 03, 2008, 03:31:35 PM
Thought Dublin were very poor on saturday night, their distribution was absolutely brutal, I know the conditions were bad but even allowing for this they kicked way too many bad passes and some of these passes weren't just missing their intended target by a yard or two they were missing it by 5 to 10 yards.
Dublin seem to put in at least two league performances of this standard every year...It doesn't really matter when they do it at this time of year but the problem is that its bad shooting and bad passing that lets them down in the middle of summer as well and it doesn't look like they are going to improve on this aspect of their game this year. Would like to know what if anything is done in training to try and remedy this.

Fennell was lucky not to go alright, that high tackle definitely warranted a yellow card, although his first yellow was a bit harsh..
Don't know what you saw in the John Cunningham incident, thought that was a nothing incident, Vaughan did nothing wrong there at all...

Only real plus to be taken from this game from a Dublin perspective was the performance of Mark Vaughan and maybe McManamon who is showing a bit of potential.

Vaughan's 45 from the right side of the pitch was pure class and definitely the highlight of the game for me...
Passing in generally being put down to clash of colours and the general poor visibility
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ExiledGael

Thought the ref made the right call on the high tackle. Always looks a lot worse when a big man simply puts his arm out and catches a smaller man often falling around the shoulder/neck area. Was nothing in it at all and thought the player was happy to go to ground and get the free.
Maybe it was the TV and the jerseys, but I was at the game and the colour clash never came into my head at all. In saying that some of the distribution from the foot on both sides was shocking, maybe that's their excuse.

BallyhaiseMan

Lads

i dont get the Mark Vaughan fantastic praise,
he was exceptional from frees,
and kicked over 2 good points from play,But we withdrew his marker in as an extra man in front of Brogan and Sherlock,meaning he was free to get posession throughout.
He didnt make terribely good use of it on a fair few occasions.
hes a cracking talent,dont get me wrong,
he was more good than exquisite Saturday Night.

As for the Game, had great craic with the Dubs Fans, a more genuine friendly bunch i have not met.
We were much better than against The Infidels, but If McCabe doesnt hit form at Midfield, we really have no other options and will struggle greatly.
Backs played well against a very crafty quick Dublin Forward line, holding them to 10 scores even in the poor conditions was good.
Lyng and Martin Reily good in Half forward line.
Jelly had no support in FF line,

0-7 in 70 minutes of football just isnt good enough.