A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2008, 06:10:22 PM
Surely there's merit in being progressive rather than strictly conservative?
Things move with the times. In many respects, i'm glad Ireland has moved on into a modern secular society, free from the previous shackles of the Church, for example.  

Surely there's room for progression within the GAA too.  I'm not saying that to do so we have to throw out all the tradition and start from scratch, but there must be room, a need even, to evolve. I don't think such opinions equate to 'selling out' or being labelled a 'West Brit'.
I like the Association the way it is, thanks very much.  Change for the sake of it is a nonsense which is precisely what the writer of the article was at.  Why should we dilute the very principles the Association was founded on in the name of 'progress'?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 06:17:03 PM
Things move with the times. In many respects, i'm glad Ireland has moved on into a modern secular society, free from the previous shackles of the Church, for example. 

Surely there's room for progression within the GAA too.  I'm not saying that to do so we have to throw out all the tradition and start from scratch, but there must be room, a need even, to evolve. I don't think such opinions equate to 'selling out' or being labelled a 'West Brit'.
I like the Association the way it is, thanks very much.  Change for the sake of it is a nonsense which is precisely what the writer of the article was at.  Why should we dilute the very principles the Association was founded on in the name of 'progress'?
How much effect does flying a tricolour or singing the anthem them have on the associations principles for example ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 06:17:03 PM

Surely there's room for progression within the GAA too.  I'm not saying that to do so we have to throw out all the tradition and start from scratch, but there must be room, a need even, to evolve. I don't think such opinions equate to 'selling out' or being labelled a 'West Brit'.
But it's not change for the sake of it.  Read the article again.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 06:19:18 PM

How much effect does flying a tricolour or singing the anthem them have on the associations principles for example ?

To the very core
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 15, 2008, 06:20:38 PM
But it's not change for the sake of it.  Read the article again.

I beg to differ. 

There would be little point in it being called the Gaelic Athletic Association if those changes were implemented, in my opinion.

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 06:19:18 PM

To the very core
Very little. This is the core principle's of the GAA

The parish structure and the progression of players through teams, the whole community helping out or being part of the club in some way, makes it different than those other sporting administraive bodies that you mention.  Because it is so central in community spirit and cohesion, this inevitably makes the GAA more that "just a sporting organisation."  This is someting to be proud of, not something to try and change. 

And foresting  Irish identity and Culture  none of which are affect by the lack of the Flag . Which ironically enough hasn't flown at a Dublin home match for over 2 years if I'm not mistaken .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ardmhachaabu

Nothing like a bit of selectivity is there?

Try reading the entire thing http://www.gaa.ie/files/official_reports/og_part1_jan_2007.pdf

{Edited to remove second link which is irrelevant}

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 06:44:12 PM
Nothing like a bit of selectivity is there?

Try reading the entire thing http://www.gaa.ie/files/official_reports/og_part1_jan_2007.pdf

{Edited to remove second link which is irrelevant}

Link doesn't load correctly but i assume your referring to this

Quote from: Rav67 on January 15, 2008, 05:42:24 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 11:39:41 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on January 14, 2008, 10:53:51 PM
To describe this contrived ill thought out piece as incisive, is demeaning language. From its very foundation the G.A.A. has always been clear and upfront re. its position regarding the National question. The promotion of an irish identity within a sovereign irish state, has always been a core value. Membership is open to all regardless of religion or politics. As in every field of life, people who disagree with the aims and objectives of any organisation will not subscribe to or join that organisation. That is the reasonable view of the Unionist people of N.I.   For the G.A.A. to pretend to be something other than what it is, an attempt to promote itself as a mere sporting organisation, to widen its appeal, would be dishonest, and insulting to the intelligence of both communities. You can only reach out to people by stating your position honestly and with integrity. A debate based on any other premise is a fraud.
Why cant the GAA become non political , just be a sporting organisation a kin to the IRFU ,NFL
Why should the GAA change its entire ethos?

I agree with Pangurban completely.
Etho's what a great undefinable term. Some times i think you lot where happier during the troubles

The parish structure and the progression of players through teams, the whole community helping out or being part of the club in some way, makes it different than those other sporting administraive bodies that you mention.  Because it is so central in community spirit and cohesion, this inevitably makes the GAA more that "just a sporting organisation."  This is someting to be proud of, not something to try and change. 

Fostering a national identity is something that has always been an aim of the GAA, as long as this continues to be done in a non-threatening and inclusive manner why should it pose a problem to anyone?
Yeah not a problem with that up to the second paragraph  Switch national identity to Irish cultural identity and it's 100% .

Maguire01

Yes, but the basic aim:
QuoteBasic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its
basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a
32 County Ireland through the preservation and
promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes

Surely then, it's the games and passtimes that strengthen the national identity through the GAA, not the flags and anthems.

ardmhachaabu

The Gaelic Athletic Association today is an organisation which reaches into every corner of the land and has its roots in every Irish parish.
Throughout the Country, legions of voluntary workers willingly make sacrifices to promote its ideals and carry its daily burdens. Why does the Association receive this unselfish support?
Those who play its games, those who organise its activities and those who control its destinies see in the G.A.A. a means of consolidating our Irish identity. The games to them are more than games - they have a national significance - and the promotion of native pastimes becomes a part of the full national ideal, which envisages the speaking of our own language, music and dances. The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a people's preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones.
Since she has no control over all the national territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired. It would be still more impaired if she were to lose her language, if she failed to provide a decent livelihood for her people at home, or if she were to forsake her own games and customs in favour of the games and customs of another nation. If pride in the attributes of nationhood dies, something good and distinctive in our race dies with it. Each national quality that is lost makes us so much poorer as a Nation. Today, the native games
take on a new significance when it is realised that they have been a part, and still are a part, of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern her own affairs

Above is as published by Central Council only last year.

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 07:10:02 PM
The Gaelic Athletic Association today is an organisation which reaches into every corner of the land and has its roots in every Irish parish.
Throughout the Country, legions of voluntary workers willingly make sacrifices to promote its ideals and carry its daily burdens. Why does the Association receive this unselfish support?
Those who play its games, those who organise its activities and those who control its destinies see in the G.A.A. a means of consolidating our Irish identity. The games to them are more than games - they have a national significance - and the promotion of native pastimes becomes a part of the full national ideal, which envisages the speaking of our own language, music and dances. The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a people's preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones.
Since she has no control over all the national territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired. It would be still more impaired if she were to lose her language, if she failed to provide a decent livelihood for her people at home, or if she were to forsake her own games and customs in favour of the games and customs of another nation. If pride in the attributes of nationhood dies, something good and distinctive in our race dies with it. Each national quality that is lost makes us so much poorer as a Nation. Today, the native games
take on a new significance when it is realised that they have been a part, and still are a part, of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern her own affairs

Above is as published by Central Council only last year.

See nothing about Flags or Anthems there

ardmhachaabu

Maguire01

So how would flag and anthem issues undermine that?

The emphasis in that extract is on the games and the power of the games to consolidate national identity.

I'm not sure that anyone has argued with what's in that extract.

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 15, 2008, 07:19:13 PM
It's implicit.
No it's not

Ard if flags are so important how come Dublin's home games have had no Tricolour for 2 years and no one has raised the issue and the association hasn't been rocked to its core?

ardmhachaabu

Maguire there have never been flag and anthem issues before.

I love being in Croke, eyes toward the flag and singing in Gaelic on Sundays in September.  That is the showcase of the entire year.  I don't see why having pride in our nation and showing it culturally and politically should be a problem.  I say politically because it is a political act to express pride in your national identity as opposed to being party political. 

Tell me this Maguire, do you know many people involved in rural clubs?