New Jerseys?

Started by Farrandeelin, September 22, 2007, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilySavage

That's true, a few counties tried other brands and were not happy with the quality or quantity of the gear received and went back to ONs. Re the designs, they are limited to what each county board allows. CBs invariably want to stick to their traditional and as such ONs are limited in what they can do.

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on November 17, 2016, 04:56:06 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 17, 2016, 04:51:27 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 17, 2016, 12:48:47 PM

O'Neill's are really revolutionary with their designs  :o

When are we going to get into the 21st century and bin this illegal monopoly on playing gear from O'Neills?

Dunno whereyou are getting the "illegal monopoly" bit from. Theres plenty of other suppliers in the marketplace. O'Neills cant be beaten on quality and I think clubs and county are pretty loyal to them as well.

Indeed there isn't... All playing apparel for the GAA MUST be manufactured in Ireland for Club and County football and Hurling (Not sure about Camogie and Ladies Football but think they're the same) which means there are very very few sports companies who can compete with O'Neill's monopoly on that!

Azzuri threatened for a while but they aren't even close!

Kukri, Masita, Azzuri are all licensed for GAA kits. And that's off the top of my head.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2016, 04:57:05 PM

When are we going to get into the 21st century and bin this illegal monopoly on playing gear from O'Neills?

Dunno whereyou are getting the "illegal monopoly" bit from. Theres plenty of other suppliers in the marketplace. O'Neills cant be beaten on quality and I think clubs and county are pretty loyal to them as well.

This.

We;ve had gear from Kukri, MAsita and O'Neills, as well as training tops, tracksuits and the like from a good few others at this stage. You can't beat O'Neills for quality, longevity and even appearance I think.

We just had an option for our development squad. Free top from one of those other manufacturers, or a €15 contribution to get an O'Neill's one. The parents, to a man/woman, picked the O'Neills, even though it was going to cost them €15.

If Adidas/Puma/Nike were allowed near the GAA I think O'Neills would shit themselves!

To be fair though there is something about an O'Neills GAA jersey that everybody loves but they do have a ridiculous competitive advantage with the 'made in Ireland' rule!

AZOffaly

Quote from: LilySavage on November 17, 2016, 04:58:06 PM
That's true, a few counties tried other brands and were not happy with the quality or quantity of the gear received and went back to ONs. Re the designs, they are limited to what each county board allows. CBs invariably want to stick to their traditional and as such ONs are limited in what they can do.

That's true Lily, re design, but I think O'Neills normally suggest a few options, (after getting a steer from the CB), and the CB picks one or the other.

Walter Cronc

Some of the oneills designs are brutal though guys. Big swishes across jerseys for no reason whatsoever. From my experience in rugby kukri make some lovely gear.

mrdeeds

Quote from: screenexile on November 17, 2016, 04:59:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2016, 04:57:05 PM

This.

We;ve had gear from Kukri, MAsita and O'Neills, as well as training tops, tracksuits and the like from a good few others at this stage. You can't beat O'Neills for quality, longevity and even appearance I think.

We just had an option for our development squad. Free top from one of those other manufacturers, or a €15 contribution to get an O'Neill's one. The parents, to a man/woman, picked the O'Neills, even though it was going to cost them €15.

If Adidas/Puma/Nike were allowed near the GAA I think O'Neills would shit themselves!

To be fair though there is something about an O'Neills GAA jersey that everybody loves but they do have a ridiculous competitive advantage with the 'made in Ireland' rule!

The made in Ireland part is pushed to limit by O Neills also. Most of the production is done in cheaper countries and a small bit of final stitching in Ireland to comply. Surely the rule is against European Competition Law.

DuffleKing

Come on men - O'Neills have no competition with playing kit. Irish made and licensing has created a monopoly - kukri don't have the wherewithal to break into the market but the uptake of clubs in the north using international brands for training and leisure wear paints a picture.

If the market were opened up O'Neills would be cleaned out on design, quality and particularly customer service.

O, and the Irish produced rule is completely illegal under EU law but just has never been challenged.
O'Neills jerseys are all produced in the Far East anyway and sublimated in strabane and Dublin.

AZOffaly

Azzuri, masita and Kukri all make playing kit that is used, and they are all inferior to oneills. I don't understand why you are saying there's no competition. There is, it's cheaper, and people still don't like it.

5 Sams

Quote from: screenexile on November 17, 2016, 04:56:06 PM

Indeed there isn't... All playing apparel for the GAA MUST be manufactured in Ireland for Club and County football and Hurling (Not sure about Camogie and Ladies Football but think they're the same) which means there are very very few sports companies who can compete with O'Neill's monopoly on that!

Azzuri threatened for a while but they aren't even close!

Hmmm....if a company has design rights and IP and gets its products made elsewhere then its considered an Irish product in most cases...happens everywhere...do you really think all the 1,000s upon 1,000s of county, club, schools jersies not to mention other gear is made in Strabane or Dublin...smell the coffee ???
The Aristocrat Years

delgany

The main problem with o' neills is that club orders have to be paid upfront  or a substantial deposit.
There is no need for them to deliver on time when they already have your cash banked.
Getting initials on gear is difficult too.

5 Sams

Quote from: delgany on November 17, 2016, 10:01:07 PM
The main problem with o' neills is that club orders have to be paid upfront  or a substantial deposit.
There is no need for them to deliver on time when they already have your cash banked.

The lad in our club that deals with them has no such problems..
The Aristocrat Years

DuffleKing

In my experience their customer care is a shambles with respect to meeting delivery dates, getting detail correct on large orders, etc. and how they address these things when they happen.

Everyone will have their own experiences of course.

manfromdelmonte

O'Neills always correct any mistakes made in orders

Other companies are not so quick to do so

DuffleKing

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2016, 10:41:26 PM
O'Neills always correct any mistakes made in orders

Other companies are not so quick to do so

In your experience...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 17, 2016, 10:14:32 PM
Quote from: delgany on November 17, 2016, 10:01:07 PM

The lad in our club that deals with them has no such problems..

Same with us. Any time I've been in contact getting personal stuff they've been straight back to me and dead on about it, top service.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...