UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Send a letter to their sponsors saying you refuse to watch UTV sports reports and you are starting a campaign among the GAA to boycott it and watch BBC instead. Highlight the huge GAA following. With the amount of lay offs in UTV it might even worry them a little.

billy the kid

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 04, 2008, 10:57:54 AM
what can be done folks?

paddy heaney tried a while back to start a letter writing campaign, perhaps its time to have another go, even for everyone to use the same letter throw it in an envelope and put it in the post, just a different name at the bottom, just to bombard them, id say there are people here from the majority of clubs in ulster and know those that arnt represented!

thoughts?

Great Idea think every right minded gael should be on for this.

Them BBC c**ts and UTV B*****ds need to learn that we wont be treated like second class citezens anymore GAA has a much larger following and membership in the six counties than Rugby, Soccer, moto Gp, Hockey and what ever else bullshit prod sports they can think of all combined.

The time to act is now.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on November 04, 2008, 11:48:55 AM
Send a letter to their sponsors saying you refuse to watch UTV sports reports and you are starting a campaign among the GAA to boycott it and watch BBC instead. Highlight the huge GAA following. With the amount of lay offs in UTV it might even worry them a little.

Good idea - but they would need about 10,000 letters sent - can we arrange this ?

SidelineKick

Im sure if everyone could get one or two ppl to do it and they got one or two people...

Something needs to be done, they are taking the piss at this stage.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on November 04, 2008, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on November 04, 2008, 11:48:55 AM

Good idea - but they would need about 10,000 letters sent - can we arrange this ?

I don't think it would take that much. UTV sports online are sponsored by First Active. If an online campaign among the GAA is done we can put pressure on First Active to negotiate a better price or with draw. GAA fans are usually sports fans in General and online GAA fans would make up 50% of UTV sports online readers. If we ask for GAA fans to use BBC sports online I'd say they would. It could all be done on GAA forums and a letter to a few GAA papers and magazines. The fact that UTV are a private company would mean they would have to act rather than BBC who could take the hit no problem.

Doire abú

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but did anyone hear BBC Radio Ulster's 2pm news on Sunday? They had only one item in the sports section and it was.....about England getting beat by 50 odd points by Australia in the ****in Rugby League world cup.

Not a word about the three Ulster club championship games starting in half an hours time!!

>:( >:(

Zapatista

Put a sticky thread up to ask for the boycott of UTV online sports refering them by link to BBC online for all local and national sports coverage. Ask people to sign in support quoteing the number of your post in sequence. One post per person. The opening post should contain reasons for the boycott. This can be copied on all GAA related sights. There are plenty of places other than UTV to get sports news so it shouldn't be too hard to fill the void if we all agree that UTV are acting the maggot.

I honestly think we are too small to make any impact on the BBC.

armaghniac

Someone needs to record these programs or get them from the web and time the various elements within them. Perhaps a comparison can be drawn with coverage of local sport in Scotland or elsewhere e.g. the Shinty Intl might get mentioned by BBC Scotland but not by BBC NI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

scalder

Folks, what you need to indentify is some channel that they can't ignore, some complaints procedure something that would involve them putting in significant resources and time into dealing with it. Tie them up in knots. The GAA and its supporters are being discriminated against, they are treating them as second class citizens, feck it lads a lot of people suffered so that being Irish would not mean you were discriminated against in the 6 counties. Institutionalised racism still exists, you either smash these institutions or take control of them – or I suppose smash the statelet. I suppose it's a lesson for those 'nationalists' who are comfy in the North nowadays that they'll never have real equality while the sectarian northern state exists!

lfdown2

sideline i would write it surely, but as mentioned since i think that it needs to be a factual letter not just a 'im pissed off letter' if we can get an archive of facts and grievances i would write it, though perhaps there are better qualified here to do so, also with respect to bbc and utv i think the letters should all go in written fromat (not email) to the one person at the very top! (lads and lassies think shawshank redemption) i also believe there enough people here who know enough people who hold office on club and county committees to seriously put pressure on both the bbc and utv

facts ie - attendance figures, playing figures, viewing figures, examples of bias (obviously if these are attainable-i know attendances arnt easily come by for irish league games)

billy the kid

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 04, 2008, 02:49:35 PM
sideline i would write it surely, but as mentioned since i think that it needs to be a factual letter not just a 'im pissed off letter' if we can get an archive of facts and grievances i would write it, though perhaps there are better qualified here to do so, also with respect to bbc and utv i think the letters should all go in written fromat (not email) to the one person at the very top! (lads and lassies think shawshank redemption) i also believe there enough people here who know enough people who hold office on club and county committees to seriously put pressure on both the bbc and utv

facts ie - attendance figures, playing figures, viewing figures, examples of bias (obviously if these are attainable-i know attendances arnt easily come by for irish league games)
[/b]

Wonder if this has anything to do with the fact most games struggle to attract more than 200 unless they are playing Linfield or glentoran to a lesser extent. There are also many games who struggle to attract even 100 but there will always be cameras from the BBC and UTV there regardless.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

lfdown2

Tyrone Dreamer

UTV have at least 2 or 3 articles a week describing players as wingers - no one is safe from being decscribed as a winger. I got sick highlighting it. Think they are taking the p iss. They probably know they have to have some form of gaa coverage to keep them right so they make a token effort at it.

Bainisteoir

See your man glynn alot on the train going to and from work.. Only realized the other week who it was. He's gonna get a mouthful one of these days soon!! Maybe one of those Fridays when ya get on the train blocked after a half day lol