UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Once again I feel the need to criticise UTV's gaa reporter. On utv teletext there are currently 2 gaa stories on page 472 and 473. One talks about the veteran Armagh "winger" Aiden O'Rourke and the other about Antrim "winger" CJ McGourty. Yesterday the headline on a story referred to a minor player and once again he was called a winger. Nearly every player mentioned these days is called a winger no matter what position they play. There's no way you'd seen this kind of blatant ignorance when reporting on another sport. The fact that every player is called a winger again suggests to me the writer is deliberatly on the wind up.

orangeman

I told you a long time ago - BIGOTS !!!    ;) ;) ;) ??? ??? ???

orangeman

Tyrone Dreamer

Im sure the local sports coverage is still provided through utv sports reporters. There's certainly no way its being done by a gaa journalist!

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 03, 2008, 11:18:15 PM
Im sure the local sports coverage is still provided through utv sports reporters. There's certainly no way its being done by a gaa journalist!
Most of UTV's very limited GAA coverage seems to be copied over from the IN.
"Stercus accidit"

Feckitt

Tyrone Dreamer is right though, the UTV teletext is definitely doing it on purpose.  When Crossmaglen Rangers are playing they are referred to as 'Glen.  That is going out of your way to take the piss!

Aaron Boone

Have to say Ceefax p.394 on BBC is very good. Donegal v UUJ report was up very quick last night.

orangeman

Tyrone Dreamer

I see the latest "winger" per utv is Antims Michael McCann. Doesnt seem to matter what position you play, your a winger. Although I think they might change it to striker from time to time.

ziggysego

Enda McGinley takes his goal like soccer.....
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

i think the GAA should try and get a Gaelic games highlights show on Ch4 or 5 or one of the regular British channels to help promote the game. When Channel 4 showed American football in the 80's it helped the game no end. in fact it practically established the game in the Uk and in Ireland.

I know it was done before and i havent seen them, were they any good at all? I think it would be worthwhile may be if the All-Ireland finals were shown on BBC all across Britain, it would be major promotion. It shouldnt be too hard to do,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

whiskeysteve

not too hard to do??? how would you go about sorting that out!?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

snatter

Quote from: thejuice on January 11, 2008, 12:28:33 PM
i think the GAA should try and get a Gaelic games highlights show on Ch4 or 5 or one of the regular British channels to help promote the game. When Channel 4 showed American football in the 80's it helped the game no end. in fact it practically established the game in the Uk and in Ireland.

I know it was done before and i havent seen them, were they any good at all? I think it would be worthwhile may be if the All-Ireland finals were shown on BBC all across Britain, it would be major promotion. It shouldnt be too hard to do,

I've long advocated that the BBC (or whoever) should jointly commission (or co-produce) some type of breaking ball program, to be simulcast.

This would fill a glaring inequality in the BBC's NI sport output which hopelessly fails to reflect the popularity of galiec games.

Additionally, it would be cheaper to produce something of higher quality if BBC and eg RTE were sharing the bills.

Frank Casey

Quote from: snatter on January 11, 2008, 02:11:04 PM

I've long advocated that the BBC (or whoever) should jointly commission (or co-produce) some type of breaking ball program, to be simulcast.

This would fill a glaring inequality in the BBC's NI sport output which hopelessly fails to reflect the popularity of galiec games.

Additionally, it would be cheaper to produce something of higher quality if BBC and eg RTE were sharing the bills.

No bad idea. RTE and various english chanels have often co-operated in drama production over the years to mutual advantage. Twouldn't take much to do something worthwhile with the breaking ball model already in existence.
KERRY 3:7

Rossfan

may be if the All-Ireland finals were shown on BBC all across Britain, it would be major promotion. It shouldnt be too hard to do,

Havent Setanta got exclusive overseas rights ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM