UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

On a side point does anyone else think that the coverage in the media of the deaths of the two young lads in tyrone has been used to try and make another negative swipe at the GAA and by not addressing  the wider issue of there being a cardiac risk in the young they are almost making the GAA guilty in some way in these two very tragic deaths?

Its what they don't say which leads people to draw there own uneducated conclusions and I think the likes of the BBC and UTV know this. Subtle but effective

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/conferences.htm
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

This is just another news story that has been bent and twisted to focus on the GAA - But we're a very big organisation and thank God, we can think for ourselves.

full back

"Logie" has shown himself to be a big fat waste of space

ziggysego

We may be frustated with the coverage and representation of the GAA by the BBC and UTV, but personal attacks does no-one any favours and is something which I disagree with.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Sorry Ziggy,
Adrian is slightly overweight & I dont believe he gives enough coverage to GAA

topgun

nothing to do with the thread, thought i would take the opportunity to let us no that if anyones interested poker classic (texas) in the Harps club Armagh on friday night, 8 30pm start, £20 in, proceeds in aid of mencap, member of the harps running the New York marathon in november, all support greatly welcomed, see www.justgiving.com/paulhagan if anyone would like to contribute.

Thanks Topgun
a prophet is not recognised by his own

whiskeysteve

is it just me or did the sunday game thread just get deleted on this board??
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ziggysego

Yeah, but it was a stupid thread anyway.
Testing Accessibility

whiskeysteve

why did they delete it? Cause people were critiscising Tony Davis' punditry? ???

Will this thread get deleted if i criticise Jerome Quinn for bumming Tyrone every chance he gets?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ziggysego

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 10, 2007, 12:51:38 PM
why did they delete it? Cause people were critiscising Tony Davis' punditry? ???

Will this thread get deleted if i criticise Jerome Quinn for bumming Tyrone every chance he gets?

No, but your avator and comment underneath might get you deleted.
Testing Accessibility

tbrick18

Bad and all as the coverage of GAA is at the moment, i think it will get worse.
Particularly with the anticipated bidding war that is due to start between Setanta and RTE for the rights.
Common concensus is that Setanta will get at least some games, leaving even less chance for BBC or UTV to show any live matches.

As for reporting on club games....looks like this will never happen. All these soccer matches with a couple of dozen supporters attending get continued coverage week after week where club championship games can easily attract a 1000+ supporters doesnt even get a mention.

In any other business, a company will try to maximise it's market share by appealing to as many potential consumers as possible. It is obvious that the largest market share in all of ireland when it comes to sporting audiences is that of the GAA supporter. Why then does the BBC and UTV continue to ignore them when they are at the end of a day a company trying to sell us their tv station?

My personal opinion is that both these organisiations are anti-gaa and occassionaly make some token gesture by mentioning the all-ireland final to try and disguise this fact.

What can we do about it? I dunno...apart from boycotting all other sporting events on these channels (not really a practical thing to organise). What about an online petition? Anyone know how we could get one of these sstarted?

ziggysego

An on-line petition wouldn't work, as they would take no notice of it. After all, how easy is it to sign one of them.

To make to take notice, you would need to organised a structure letter writing campaign. If it is organised well with lots of people writing letters and hopefully timed to arrrive in the one day. That should make them sit up and listen.
Testing Accessibility

whiskeysteve

Quote from: ziggysego on September 10, 2007, 12:52:43 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 10, 2007, 12:51:38 PM

No, but your avator and comment underneath might get you deleted.

its obviously ridiculous, John Fashanu's catchphrase, whos honestly gonna be that offended by it??? If an administrator asked me to change it I would like but anyway.

What about the GAA banning any BBC/UTV cameras or media involvement with all the matches - unless they agree to a better standard of coverage?

ExiledGael

Don't think there's anyone on here who is happy with either broadcasters coverage of the GAA.
But on the BBC NI Sport website there's actually a GAA discussion area. Jerome has started a few topics but to be honest there's about ten reply comments from the whole year, doesn't really look good for the argument of them dedicating more time/money to the GAA.
Maybe we should invade for the day!

dubinhell

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 10, 2007, 03:56:40 PM
Don't think there's anyone on here who is happy with either broadcasters coverage of the GAA.
But on the BBC NI Sport website there's actually a GAA discussion area. Jerome has started a few topics but to be honest there's about ten reply comments from the whole year, doesn't really look good for the argument of them dedicating more time/money to the GAA.
Maybe we should invade for the day!

Just keep posting links to gaaboard from the BBCNI board. Why should people who are not catered for add to their site traffic ?