UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2013, 04:23:40 PM
BBC N.I. has no local tv output for local sport on Sunday apart from GAA in the summertime, and in wintertime don't they have a radio programme at tea time on Sunday for results, and they also cover live on radio most (certainly the final) if not all the Ulster Club Championship ties.

Added to the radio programme each Sunday afternoon for the National League and the unprecedented coverage of the Championship on both radio and tv on the summer, I don't think anyone could argue that GAA coverage doesn't consume a significant portion of BBC NI's Sporting budget.

Wasn't this proven, with hard evidence (in terms of coverage hours and comparisons with other sports) by the BBC's Defence lawyers during JQ's Tribunal Case?

I don't think you are allowed to mention JQ's tribunal Tony.  ;D
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Any craic

You can mention it but it would be best to get your facts right if you do. Tony's comment is by way of a question so he's not sure himself. Maybe he's going by media coverage of it, which I personally would describe as dubious but then again I would!

johnneycool

BBC N.I. has no local tv output for local sport on Sunday apart from GAA in the summertime, and in wintertime don't they have a radio programme at tea time on Sunday for results, and they also cover live on radio most (certainly the final) if not all the Ulster Club Championship ties.

Added to the radio programme each Sunday afternoon for the National League and the unprecedented coverage of the Championship on both radio and tv on the summer, I don't think anyone could argue that GAA coverage doesn't consume a significant portion of BBC NI's Sporting budget.

Wasn't this proven, with hard evidence (in terms of coverage hours and comparisons with other sports) by the BBC's Defence lawyers during JQ's Tribunal Case?

Unless I'm in the car I hardly listen to the radio. I'm not interested in radio coverage.

J OGorman

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 16, 2013, 04:27:58 PM

I don't think you are allowed to mention JQ's tribunal Tony.  ;D

tee hee hee..all quiet at the back of the class please boys

qubdub

One thing that bugs me about Radio Ulster GAA coverage is that it is only ever on MW. I can't get MW in my car, or at home, unless I go online to listen.

That aside, there is a clear bias in favour of local soccer. Undeniable. Even a bit of token coverage in evening bulletins of the various SFC/SHC results from the 9 counties is not going to stretch resources.

T Fearon

Surely it would be logical in defending a case of alleged discrimination against one sport,that the defendant would produce an analysis of it's broadcast output,to disprove the allegation?

As I said you can argue about club results etc,but I'd say that BBC NI's annual sports broadcast output contains a GAA segment that is not exceeded by any other sport.

T Fearon

I see the Antrim Clare U21 final was mentioned on BBC newsline tonight along with a clip,though Antrim fans probably would have preferred it hadn't been. ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
I see the Antrim Clare U21 final was mentioned on BBC newsline tonight along with a clip,though Antrim fans probably would have preferred it hadn't been. ;D
That's the only reason it is on! The bastards.

Any craic

T, it may be difficult for a seasoned cynic to consider the possibility that the NI media were happy to paint a particular picture of what happened and that the very well-paid Defence did a 'good job' on backing this up, but I'm still surprised that you would jump to conclusions of all that happened over the three weeks, and that you would accept their statistics as near-enough fact.

Redhand Santa

I'd love someone to record the time given to each sport on bbcs tv coverage (newsline, Saturday sport etc) over the next month and see how it spreads out. I'd be shocked if the gaa accounted for 10 per cent of the coverage. And this is a busy time of year with both all Ireland finals coming up and multiple county finals.

I never got the impression that they went looking for the ulster championship rights but they were effectively handed to them by the ulster council with a deal they couldn't refuse to ensure the games were available to all 32 counties.

T Fearon

Surely three of their full time presenters,Sudebottom,Niblock and O'Callaghan are there primarily for GAA coverage? I fail to see how anyone can argue with the coverage the Championship gets on tv every summer and the NFL on the radio during the Spring.

Redhand Santa

They show the live ulster games that were given to them on a cheap deal. Other than that they largely ignore the gaa in their tv coverage. If you were to watch all sports coverage on bbc tv over the next month how much do you believe gaa would account for? I don't listen to the radio much so not sure how it compares there.

ONeill

I don't mind people arguing that there should be more GAA on the BBC but when those arguments are simply made up, then it just becomes barstool debate.

Someone said something about in the run up to the Tyrone-Mayo game there was no mention until Friday. That's just bollocks. I was recording the news that week and just went over it again. The game was mentioned on the 6:30 news on Monday (Interview with Harte), Wednesday and Friday.

And of course it might mention Celtic in the CL because of local players. Same as BBC Norfolk covering Norfolk sides in the FA Cup but not giving two hoots about Cardiff v Liverpool in the final.

The BBC may have been light on the GAA years ago, but give them a break. Their radio coverage from Feb-Aug is comprehensive. And how many live games on TV this summer? Poor arguments dilute your cause.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J OGorman

GAA coverage in the north is brutal. Boys can be cantankerous on here all they want, but the bottom line is, they're isn't enough of it on the box from utv or bbc ni

T Fearon

I dont know.They'll show the All Ireland Final.You cannot isolate any month,and need to take the output over the full year.Still think GAA gets fair coverage,I remember the time when all you got was Ulster Final highlights.

Like it or not,its the Championship in summertime that attracts the major interest,sure the grounds are three quarters empty during the league and the BBC has budgetary constraints.Expecting them to cover club games to any great extent would be akin to expecting them to cover junior soccer.