UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Well said Wobbler.

Reporting on the Cross game would be like the Co Fermanagh road bowls game between Belcoo and Belleek getting a quare write up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rodney trotter

Wobbler is right,If it was Antrim Hurlers in the All Ireland Senior final they would get a mention. The BBC obviously only cares about team in  Ulster (6 counties mainly). They showed the All Ireland Semi between Tyrone and Mayo. But not a word the following week when the Dubs and Kerry were playing.

Any craic

I don't agree with the regional/national argument. To me, it's just an excuse for not covering. The BBC have always used things like that to conveniently not do as much GAA as they should. It's like they are happy that it falls between two stools.

For example, I remember a radio producer (who had been an official at Linfield before then) arguing in the early 90s that BBC Radio Ulster couldn't cover Ulster SFC games because the BBC didn't have facilities in the grounds for commentary, like they did in all of the Irish League grounds. He couldn't understand why the GAA couldn't use the same venues all the time and have their games at set times, like soccer every Saturday at 3 O'Clock. These were the days when the BBC TV Championship programme was well underway and very popular. The result was that all of the Ulster SFC games were on BBC TV but Radio Ulster was not even doing commentary! Some time later, the same radio producer was informed that his TV colleagues were able to provide him with a free line back to Belfast to broadcast radio commentary live from every venue! The fact was that he just didn't want to know and that's exactly the case these days too. The BBC has gone back to the bad old days in many ways. 

Put it like this, if a sporting event is getting 4000 in your area, then it should be covered, end of. It means there is a significant audience attending and there will be significant interest among people not attending, no matter whether it's local, regional, etc. GAA fans are always interested in games in other counties, as we all know. Our games are uniquely Irish and local, grass roots is our strength, which deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated. Instead, the BBC compare us with international games like rugby and football, which is unfair, but they make out that we are lesser because of that, when the opposite should be the case. If they wanted to know, if they appreciated the interest in strength of our unique games, they would so something about it.

But it's not just a matter of numbers, it's also a question of balance and perception. How can a game with that much interest get absolutely ignored by a company that has outlets in radio, TV, online, etc? Did they care to mention the game or any other clubs games anywhere on their Friday evening wrap on radio or TV? Did it get mentioned anywhere on Saturday? No, because they conveniently let it slip between the stools again. Surely the great BBC in this day and age should have some way of at least acknowledging a game like this, but of course they did away with their Sunday Sportsound GAA programme 5/6 years ago, which means they have no obvious outlet for club GAA. They argue it the other way on Saturdays, ie, that it isn't a GAA show either. Like I say, too many arguments that have the same result.

ONeill

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 05:19:15 PM
I don't agree with the regional/national argument. To me, it's just an excuse for not covering. The BBC have always used things like that to conveniently not do as much GAA as they should. It's like they are happy that it falls between two stools.

For example, I remember a radio producer (who had been an official at Linfield before then) arguing in the early 90s that BBC Radio Ulster couldn't cover Ulster SFC games because the BBC didn't have facilities in the grounds for commentary, like they did in all of the Irish League grounds. He couldn't understand why the GAA couldn't use the same venues all the time and have their games at set times, like soccer every Saturday at 3 O'Clock. These were the days when the BBC TV Championship programme was well underway and very popular. The result was that all of the Ulster SFC games were on BBC TV but Radio Ulster was not even doing commentary! Some time later, the same radio producer was informed that his TV colleagues were able to provide him with a free line back to Belfast to broadcast radio commentary live from every venue! The fact was that he just didn't want to know and that's exactly the case these days too. The BBC has gone back to the bad old days in many ways. 

Put it like this, if a sporting event is getting 4000 in your area, then it should be covered, end of. It means there is a significant audience attending and there will be significant interest among people not attending, no matter whether it's local, regional, etc. GAA fans are always interested in games in other counties, as we all know. Our games are uniquely Irish and local, grass roots is our strength, which deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated. Instead, the BBC compare us with international games like rugby and football, which is unfair, but they make out that we are lesser because of that, when the opposite should be the case. If they wanted to know, if they appreciated the interest in strength of our unique games, they would so something about it.

But it's not just a matter of numbers, it's also a question of balance and perception. How can a game with that much interest get absolutely ignored by a company that has outlets in radio, TV, online, etc? Did they care to mention the game or any other clubs games anywhere on their Friday evening wrap on radio or TV? Did it get mentioned anywhere on Saturday? No, because they conveniently let it slip between the stools again. Surely the great BBC in this day and age should have some way of at least acknowledging a game like this, but of course they did away with their Sunday Sportsound GAA programme 5/6 years ago, which means they have no obvious outlet for club GAA. They argue it the other way on Saturdays, ie, that it isn't a GAA show either. Like I say, too many arguments that have the same result.

I dunno anycraic. How many GAA games did they show live this year and in recent years? Maybe 10 this summer including next week's final? They show 1 live local soccer game a year (Cup final) and maybe a handful of internationals and even those seem to be lost to Sky. Some Ulster rugby.

4000 for the Cross game - what about 3000, 2000, 1000, 500 at other games - are they ignored?

I don't go to the BBC for my GAA because I don't need to - apart from maybe Radio Ulster on a Sat or Sun during the NFL, SFC or provincial club.

The BBC may well be bigoted towards GAA - and I know that needs to be challenged if people think that - but I don't feel deprived.

Any craic

I think the Live games thing is another red herring. It shouldn't mean that they can then largely reduce GAA to a minority sport the rest of the time.

Any craic

If you look at it, they do international soccer Live, plus the Irish Cup Final, the Milk Cup (now there's another debate), and one or two others, and they do a fair amount of Ulster Rugby Live, so there's not much of a difference in the Live coverage. Then you look at the rest of the coverage and they allocate cameras to every single Irish League Premier game (UTV pulled out of a 50-50 coverage arrangement) for 40 weeks of a year, which is a serious deployment of resources, plus it leads to blanket coverage across all their platforms. Rugby also gets wall to wall coverage for just about anything that happens there. Now compare that to how GAA is treated on a daily basis on radio bulletins, online, etc, and it comes a very long way behind.

ONeill

So what would you want to see?

A Sunday night programme covering club games? More time on Newsline? The radio seems to cover a game every week during the provincial club championship. They also show the MacRory live.

imtommygunn

Anycraic you don't have a choice but to agree with the regional argument -the remit is ni and they cover the games here and give results from the other 3.

Club games are more regional again. I doubt they would have the scope to cover every gaa game with4k+ and beforehand how do you know 4k will be at it? If they cover one club game where do they stop? It's not feasible.

The remit the bbc cover is ulster club, mckenna cup, championship and national league. That's consistent with soccer when you look at it. It's just that soccer have their games every week.

Yes the bbc can improve a lot and they could be doing with highlighting games as well as rows but you more than anyone should know about their budgets. What you suggest isn't feasible and you do seem like a dog with a bone...

Any craic

Equality across the output would be good, and a place for GAA that recognises the importance of our games outside inter-county football. Hurling, ladies football, club games, etc.

Yes they show the MacRory Final Live, which is good, but this year they didn't attend any of the Quarter-finals or the Hogan Cup Semi or Final, which was not good. The Club championship coverage is of course welcome as well, but it's only on medium wave radio and is nowhere near enough. A regular slot or programme like Sunday Sportsound is much-missed. Put it this way O'Neill, there's 3/4 hours every Saturday throughout the year, covering everything but GAA, and very little on Sundays in comparison.

Any craic

imtommygun, the BBC don't have a remit to cover the competitions you mention. They do the McKenna Cup when it suits them, which is very hit and miss. Same with the National League, blink and you'd miss it. There's no way their coverage outside the Ulster SFC is comparable with soccer and rugby. If it's about budgets, then do less local football. Cut down from 6 games every Saturday to 3, and you'd save a fortune. You'd be able to go to more GAA games throughout the year, and even provide regular coverage. Just my opinion. I've seen it from close and far for a long time.

ONeill

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 06:14:44 PM
Put it this way O'Neill, there's 3/4 hours every Saturday throughout the year, covering everything but GAA, and very little on Sundays in comparison.

Would their sports radio output between May and August not be 80% GAA on Sat (backdoor) and Sun?

I even think there was one Saturday when they rolled out 6 hours.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 06:18:36 PM
imtommygun, the BBC don't have a remit to cover the competitions you mention. They do the McKenna Cup when it suits them, which is very hit and miss. Same with the National League, blink and you'd miss it. There's no way their coverage outside the Ulster SFC is comparable with soccer and rugby. If it's about budgets, then do less local football. Cut down from 6 games every Saturday to 3, and you'd save a fortune. You'd be able to go to more GAA games throughout the year, and even provide regular coverage. Just my opinion. I've seen it from close and far for a long time.

Ae you comparing like for like with rugby and gaa though? Ulster rugby, ireland rugby, schools rugby and ail. Is that dissimilar from what the gaa would get ( assuming they did it consistently?)

It's not a mandatory remit granted but it seems to be what they do.

The main thing that peeves me about the bbc and the gaa is that they seem quick to jump on the fights. The coverage is actually decent. Yes it could be better but it's not as bad as you make out.

In addition what coverage do rte give club games? What coverage would they get were it not for tg4. League coverage is rubbish too.

Any craic

Yes O'Neill, the back door radio coverage is good and welcomed, but it wouldn't amount to 80 per cent between May-August. There's still 4 hours every Saturday for other sports during the football/rugby season, plus a Summer show that carries on the same slot and does all sports. Plus you can throw in football internationals, european games in July, and so on. But look at the wider picture - they shut down on Sundays from the start of December through to the Ulster SFC in mid-May. There is absolutely nothing on Sundays for the McKenna Cup and the NFL, never mind clubs or any other GAA. BTW O'Neill, I'm not as avid a follower of their coverage these days, as you might understand lol, so I might not be so well-informed as I was.

Any craic

imtommygun, there's definitely more rugby coverage across their output all year round than GAA. Look at their website, listen to a radio bulletin, watch a TV bulletin, you'll see rugby much more prominent. You're right about jumping on fights, but that wouldn't be so bad if they had better coverage throughout the year of more GAA games. People get annoyed because they jump on games that they don't even attend as a rule. As regards coverage elsewhere, to start that debate you'd have to bring in Setanta, Newstalk, TG4, etc, etc. RTE do a one-hour TV show every night through the League, plus blanket radio, while BBC show maybe 1 minute on a Monday night, with nothing at all on Sundays.

thewobbler

Anycraic, some amazing rants here.

But the bottom line is that you will not accept that the role of a regional broadcaster is to broadcast stories of regional interest. Even if the whole of Strabane turns up for a Strabane Sigersons game, that doesn't make of interest beyond west Tyrone.

I'll put this another way. There are funerals every few weeks, maybe every week, in Ulster that invoke thousands of mourners. But the only funerals that get mentioned on BBC NI are those involving figures who have a regional profile. Believe it or not, sport has to operate on a roughly similar principle.