UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Any craic on September 08, 2013, 04:41:32 PM
I just looked at the BBCNI Sports website during the All Ireland Hurling Final and there is not a mention of it, anywhere http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/ Are we surprised?

Not in the slightest. I contacted BBCNI last week to see if they would be covering any of the AI finals. Still waiting on a reply...

Hoof Hearted

portadown scored 11 goals yesterday ! Apparently we have to be amazed by that !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BennyCake

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 08, 2013, 09:44:24 PM
portadown scored 11 goals yesterday ! Apparently we have to be amazed by that !

How many did Brian Mallon get?

Any craic

I just watched BBCNI Newsline Sport from tonight on the iPlayer. The content was:- NI v Portugal soccer report, a quick mention of RoI/Trap, 16 goals from 6 Irish League games (already shown on Saturday), Ulster rugby action from Friday & go karting. Oh and the All Ireland Hurling Final - don't be silly, not a mention! Some things don't change.

Syferus

Quote from: Any craic on September 09, 2013, 11:42:40 PM
I just watched BBCNI Newsline Sport from tonight on the iPlayer. The content was:- NI v Portugal soccer report, a quick mention of RoI/Trap, 16 goals from 6 Irish League games (already shown on Saturday), Ulster rugby action from Friday & go karting. Oh and the All Ireland Hurling Final - don't be silly, not a mention! Some things don't change.

Definitely a Westminster ploy to force the north to remain partitioned. Sure everyone in NI loves stick fighting and whacking people with shite, nevermind flag waving.

BennyCake

Quote from: Any craic on September 09, 2013, 11:42:40 PM

Go karting? F**king go karting!?

Did they not show cheese rolling championships too? Or have Sky bought the rights to that?

Any craic

Yes, KARTING! I just checked again and here's what they said to finish: 'Finally congratulations to Charlie Eastwood who is now the European karting champion'. See for yourself here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b039rndx/BBC_Newsline_09_09_2013/

Feckitt

Maybe 'Any Craic' could confirm this, but I once heard that for every complaint the BBC get about not covering GAA, they get about 10 complaints for when they do cover it!

Any craic

No that's not true Feckitt. It's hard to explain their 'logic' and indeed this example may cloud the area even more, but one time the current Head of Sport said he got letters from Irish League fans as if this justified their blanket coverage of the Irish League. It was in answer to me asking why he refused to allow Sigerson Cup QF on a Friday afternoon at Queens onto that evening's Newsline sport. 'It's not senior sport', he said. 'Irish League is senior sport and that's only colleges. What do I say to the letters I get from irish League fans if I put that on'. When he then went on to compare Sigerson to Collingwood, I realised there was a serious mindset issue that is clearly still there.

Feckitt

OK thanks, I have regularly posted on this thread for years, and am not slow to point out the failings of the BBC and others.  A couple of weeks ago, i posted on this thread about how the Brolly/Cavanagh issue had brought the GAA out of the sports desk and onto the news desk for the first time ever when discussing a purely GAA subject.  But now we are back to the biggest day in Irish sport not even getting a mention.  Quite depressing.

armaghniac

Maybe 'Any Craic' could confirm this, but I once heard that for every complaint the BBC get about not covering GAA, they get about 10 complaints for when they do cover it!

People don't expect them to cover it, so don't complain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Feckitt

I sent an email once to the BBC about them only putting up league results on their website for Ulster counties.  example Donegal bt Cork, Down lost to Mayo, Tyrone drew with Laois, but god knows what happened between Dublin & Kerry.  It wouldn't kill them to put all results up.  I think I told them either to put up all the results or don't bother putting any up.

The next day I got an email from Mark Sidebottom going f**king mad, fucked me off for being so cheeky, talked about the 5 hour show they had on Radio Ulster, all the work they were doing etc,etc. 

Feckitt

Ulster Champs Crossmaglen Rangers played Pearse Og of Armagh last night in front of an attendance of over 4000+.  BBC website? not a dickybird.

Meanwhile today the NI soccer league will throw up some hotly anticipated encounters like Glenavon v Ards and Warrenpoint Town v Crusaders.  BBC website?  Yes there will be reports on all matches, a full days coverage on Radio Ulster (FM), and TV highlights of all the goals at 6 o'clock.

Now I know that attendances at Irish league matches are the most closely guarded secret in Irish sport, but I suspect that most teams will not get close to a 4000+ attendance all season, and that a lot of teams may not have had a 4000+ attendance ever in the last 30 years!

In a previous post 'Any Craic' talked about a serious mindset issue when it comes to Gaelic Games.  They still think that coverage of Glenavon, Linfield, Glentoran, Portadown etc, is the soccer equivalent of Derry, Tyrone, Donegal, Armagh etc,  ??? ???  And for years they still got better coverage than county teams.  When is someone at BBC or UTV going to realise, ah yez know what I mean.

thewobbler

Some people just don't want to understand that BBC NI is a regional broadcaster.

Armagh club championships are local sport, not regional sport. The only justification for featuring local sport is when it has a regional impact. For example if Crossmaglen were knocked out, I'd expect it mentioned for it matters than the regional champions are gone.

All Ireland Hurling finals are national sport, not regional. With no Ulster teams involved, there's no more reason to discuss it than there is Andy Murray or Lewis Hamilton's successes.

While if you can't understand that discussing the outcome of every inter varsity match in a week would double the length of the programme, then BBC really have no chance.

The real problem is some people want personal broadcasters.