UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Last night was marginally better in so far as the recognised Donegal as being an Ulster county.

Tyrone Dreamer

They had about 12 minutes to talk about the history of the gaa and gave 2 of them to that well know expert Gregory Campbell, great call. Maybe we'll get big Ian himself tonight.

Hardy

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on November 25, 2009, 10:53:19 PM
Gregory Campbell ... said he could never imagine a unionist sport such as cricket or rugby having clubs named after loyalists. But its ok for the orange order to march hand in hand with loyalist bands through nationalist area's,I assume that's different as its culture and tradition!

Why are you drawing an equivalence between the GAA and the Orange Order?

Tyrone Dreamer

Because he basically said the average unionist would not be associated with loyalist figures which isn't true.

They are using a a very small number of club names to beat the gaa with. As has been discussed before there is a good reason behind the Kevin Lynch name.

Hardy

No - he said certain sports wouldn't have clubs named after loyalists. I don't know whether that's true or not. But I know a few other things and one of them is that I'm not alone in being uncomfortable with the naming of clubs after political/paramilitary figures of any hue. Another is that it's a tactic of the enemies of the GAA to trot out the OO as the unionist equivalent of the GAA when there is not a single point of convergence I can think of between a voluntary community development organisation and a sectarian organisation that exists solely to denigrate the religion of a signficant proportion of the community. To see GAA people advancing the same proposition is depressing.

windyshepardhenderson

I don't see why Mr Campbell feel's he is any position to comment on the naming of GAA grounds when
a. he has absolutely no interest in the GAA regardless
b. he supports (quite possibly) the most bigotted, sectarian, rascist club in western Europe
lavey's finest

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Hardy on November 26, 2009, 08:17:44 PM
No - he said certain sports wouldn't have clubs named after loyalists. I don't know whether that's true or not. But I know a few other things and one of them is that I'm not alone in being uncomfortable with the naming of clubs after political/paramilitary figures of any hue. Another is that it's a tactic of the enemies of the GAA to trot out the OO as the unionist equivalent of the GAA when there is not a single point of convergence I can think of between a voluntary community development organisation and a sectarian organisation that exists solely to denigrate the religion of a signficant proportion of the community. To see GAA people advancing the same proposition is depressing.

My point was that Campbell was being a hypocrite and I was not saying the gaa is the equivalent of the orange order. He is quite happy to support the orange order who regularly march along with loyalist bands but he criticises the gaa for having a very small minority of clubs named after local people who happened to be republicans.

the green man

Did I just hear Paul Clarke saying that the GAA is moving away from being a sectarian organisation?

Tyrone Dreamer

Did he not say its moving from being a non sectarian organisation to an anti sectarian organisation. Although it still took a political link tonight the 3rd and 4th parts have been a lot more balanced.

the green man

Possibly. I wasn't really listening. I watch the first one, wasn't overly impressed, and this one. It seemed to be a history of the GAA in relation to NI rather than a celebration of 125.

longrunsthefox

That was cringeworthy tonight with Tom Daly giving cheesy smiles anytime Basil McCrea said something remotely positive about the GAA. Do you really need his approval?

Maguire01

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else:

Season Ticket presents a special profile on Armagh and Crossmaglen Gaelic footballer Oisin McConville on Wednesday, December 2 on BBC1 NI at 2245 GMT.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/season_ticket/8380260.stm

Tyrone Dreamer

Spillane is a top quality pundit. He was saying in the Sunday World today that Paddy O'Rourke's best acheivement was a win v Tyrone in the 2008 championship.

gerry

Slow news today as tv3 have paying county managers as their lead story on their evening news.

Even dessie had his word in.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,