Author Topic: UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3  (Read 203884 times)

johnnycool

• View Profile
Re: UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3
« Reply #1515 on: April 16, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
BBC Radio Ulster (and Radio Foyle) are shutting down their Medium Wave transmitters within the next few weeks...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2021/next-phase-of-changes-to-some-local-bbc-radio-medium-wave-services

...considering that their GAA coverage has been limited to Medium Wave for many years now, it'll be interesting how they handle its coverage in the future - I dread to think that it might be online only.  :-\

DAB?

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 16, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
DAB?

Possibly. The BBC do that over in some parts of England on soccer matchdays to provide coverage for various teams e.g. one team covered on FM, another on DAB, and sometimes another on MW if available. I don't recall Radio Ulster having ever done this in the past though, most GAA & rugby live commentaries have been MW & online only.

One problem for DAB-only commentary is that Radio Ulster & Radio Foyle's DAB coverage in the north is less than 90% of the population - there's also coverage via Freeview & satellite, but of course these aren't portable.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 23, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
Is there any plan for TV coverage? NOW TV have a 3 month deal if you sign up before Monday. I expect there will be some games on Sky as usual?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 23, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
Radio Foyle (792 kHz) and BBC Radio Ulster (1341 & 873 kHz) confirmed shutting down on MW on 6th May.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 24, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
Radio Foyle (792 kHz) and BBC Radio Ulster (1341 & 873 kHz) confirmed shutting down on MW on 6th May.

What will that mean for live commentary of GAA matches?

Cavan19

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 26, 2021, 09:33:52 AM »
Is there any plan for TV coverage? NOW TV have a 3 month deal if you sign up before Monday. I expect there will be some games on Sky as usual?

Not league games.

Lotto

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 10, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
The Championship is supposed to be on BBC2 now but all I am getting is Tennis. Am I the only one?

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 10, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »
The Championship is supposed to be on BBC2 now but all I am getting is Tennis. Am I the only one?
Same here

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 10, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
They flashed up earlier that Championship will follow when match finishes, which looks at this stage will be a while yet. Probably shit scared of all those complaints from tennis loving loyalists.

Gael85

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 10, 2021, 11:43:13 PM »

It on BBC 2 now

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 11, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »
Will the Derry Donegal match be delayed today, if the All Vicars Over 75 Mixed Doubles Tennis final goes to a fifth set?

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 11, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
Sean Cavanagh having a laugh on TSG. He’s confident that Fergal Logan will come up with some legal wizardry to get Ronan mcnamee off for clearly striking. You couldn’t make it up but it seems like Tyrone have some kind of entitlement when it comes to these suspensions.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 11, 2021, 02:53:37 PM »
Sean Cavanagh having a laugh on TSG. He’s confident that Fergal Logan will come up with some legal wizardry to get Ronan mcnamee off for clearly striking. You couldn’t make it up but it seems like Tyrone have some kind of entitlement when it comes to these suspensions.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got it overturned. It was more of a push than a strike.

But it’s long overdue that a rule was brought in, where any contact with the head/face/neck is a straight red.

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 13, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got it overturned. It was more of a push than a strike.

But it’s long overdue that a rule was brought in, where any contact with the head/face/neck is a straight red.
[/b]
and in the meantime there is no rule to be fair.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 14, 2021, 12:08:49 AM »

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm assuming you're watching via Sky or Freesat? If so, BBC2 NI isn't carried on HD via satellite, so either watch in SD or switch to terrestrial (Freeview).