AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 09, 2021, 10:16:17 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on September 09, 2021, 02:41:47 PM

Will Morgan have one of his awful days or will he keep the head and be awesome?

I'm puzzled over why Tyrone people are so hard on Niall Morgan. Can you give us some examples of these awful days you mention? I don't remember him having any particular disasters. If anything, I'd have thought of him as one of the elite inter-county goalkeepers currently playing. Am I nuts, or what? What am I missing?

Vital free missing is the only real issue with him. He can be erratic with kickouts but I think he mostly puts them in a good area. Games against Kerry, Mayo and Donegal have all been lost in recent years when he's had a bad day from the 45 yard mark off the ground.

That being said I wouldn't want anyone else in his place and he is an elite keeper.

ONeill

The one thing that worries me is our scoring.

On the 69th minute, we were on 1-10. That's fairly low. Kerry had 0-15. Had that Canavan shot not fallen to McShane, we were looking at a very disappointing return. Almost choking level.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Watcher

I'm back n forward on this but one thing I'm clinging to is that mayo do not have a forward in Clifford's class.  Cillian O'connor being out injured is a massive loss.  The other kerry forwards hardly got a sn8ff and hopefully it'll be the same on Saturday

MayoBuck

One of the local papers had the 5 previous championship results between Mayo and Tyrone. One thing that stood out is Tyrone have never scored more than 13 points in those games. They got that in the 2008 win and the loss in 2013.

tonto1888

I can't see a thing other than a Tyrone win.

An Watcher

I was at that 2008 win and if memory serves me correctly, right at the end Ricey lay on the ball to stop mayo getting it.  Then dooher lay on ricey to make it even more difficult.  It was a battle that day before then went on to blow dublin out of the water.  Also think a young Tom parsons was outstanding that day.  God I'm getting old!!!

lenny

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 10, 2021, 06:02:21 AM
I can't see a thing other than a Tyrone win.

Scoreline prediction - Tyrone 2.13  Mayo 0.14

Aaron Boone

Where do Mayo cross the Shannon on the way home? Galway stopped the bus in 1998 didn't they to symbolically carry Sam across the Shannon near Athlone.

FearAnFhírinne

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 10, 2021, 08:47:51 AM
Where do Mayo cross the Shannon on the way home? Galway stopped the bus in 1998 didn't they to symbolically carry Sam across the Shannon near Athlone.
Tarmonbarry I think. Here's hoping they'll have a reason to get off the bus and walk across this weekend.

larryin89

Quote from: FearAnFhírinne on September 10, 2021, 08:53:47 AM
Tarmonbarry I think. Here's hoping they'll have a reason to get off the bus and walk across this weekend.

That's correct
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Tubberman

Sam won't be leaving croker so if we win we won't have the chance to carry him across the Shannon.
Tarmonbarry would be the crossing point if they went N5, but they went by train last year
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

nrico2006

Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2021, 10:46:49 PM

On the 69th minute, we were on 1-10. That's fairly low. Kerry had 0-15. Had that Canavan shot not fallen to McShane, we were looking at a very disappointing return. Almost choking level.

I have the same concern.  I mentioned here a few weeks ago that we were lucky enough to get 3 goals and that we usually don't score any.  In the Kerry game our points return was poor, especially considering the extra period of play.  Its very likely that tyrone won't score any goals this weekend therefore the points return will need to be high.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

skeog

Tyrones secret weapon is Michael Moynagh who according to Fergal can come up with a substitution which can be okay.With the kitman being around 40 yrs why would he not know.

trueblue1234

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 10, 2021, 09:29:37 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2021, 10:46:49 PM

I have the same concern.  I mentioned here a few weeks ago that we were lucky enough to get 3 goals and that we usually don't score any.  In the Kerry game our points return was poor, especially considering the extra period of play.  Its very likely that tyrone won't score any goals this weekend therefore the points return will need to be high.

If McShane starts I would expect to see a better return. We have to remember he is prob our key (I'm loathed to use marquee) forward (jury still seems to be out on McCurry on the big days) and only now looks like an option  from the start. If him and McCurry start then it's a headache for Mayo as both with need extra attention that may free up space for others.

When are the dummy teams going to be announced so we can plug on with the next bit of over analysis?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

CK_Redhand

I don't expect any curve balls in team selection. Biggest questions are will O'Shea and mcShane start. I think both will.

McCurry is likely to get bottled up again but is crucial for frees and maybe a mark or point or two from play. His decision making has improved this year. Tyrone midfield has been quietly going about their business I think one of them will have a great game. I'll call Kilpatrick for a goal.

For mayo I'm worried about conroy who is overdue a goal. Ruane is hard to stop and O'Shea has a point to prove.  I'll go for a draw 1-13 each. Tyrone by a point after extra time.