Stats - Collating and review Stats over a season

Started by NotOurYear, August 10, 2021, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotOurYear

Hi All,

Another stats question.

We are using stat-a-pult to collect stats on a game by game basis- its easy to use and gives great graphical representations of what happened in the game.

Is anyone using a package/app/software to collate the data across a season (i.e. across the season to date rather than individual matches?.
Or is it as simple as identifying KPI's and plugging them into an excel template?

I would love to be able to show corner forward a graphical representation of where he shoots from across all games (scores, wides, shorts etc) the goal-keeper where his kick-out go etc...
Saying you won 48/62 kick-out is kind of meaningless but showing graphically where they have gone could be very beneficial.

Is there something out there to help collate the individual game data into season to date tallies?

viperhiggins

Here we go... I can rant and rave all day about how the GAA is becoming more and more like soccer. This thread is just another example. What is the need really? Just another salary on a county team.

Itchy

Quote from: NotOurYear on August 10, 2021, 11:34:37 AM
Hi All,

Another stats question.

We are using stat-a-pult to collect stats on a game by game basis- its easy to use and gives great graphical representations of what happened in the game.

Is anyone using a package/app/software to collate the data across a season (i.e. across the season to date rather than individual matches?.
Or is it as simple as identifying KPI's and plugging them into an excel template?

I would love to be able to show corner forward a graphical representation of where he shoots from across all games (scores, wides, shorts etc) the goal-keeper where his kick-out go etc...
Saying you won 48/62 kick-out is kind of meaningless but showing graphically where they have gone could be very beneficial.

Is there something out there to help collate the individual game data into season to date tallies?

I think you are over-complicating a simple game. For example what is the point showing the keeper where his 500 kick outs went when each opponent he played will have set up differently, each kick out in different circumstances. Stats have a place, don't get me wrong, but they should not be replacing the eyes in your head and your keepers head.

However, if you really want to do something like that use excel, break the pitch into labelled grids and count the amount of balls/kicks from/to the grids and then use pivot tables.

yellowcard

Statistics are a scourge of the modern game from a spectator viewpoint and a player viewpoint. Their overuse discourages freedom of expression, creative thinking and the willingness of players to take risks. Players become obssesed about their GPS stats and how many times they gave the ball away or took a wrong option when in possession. You can see it in the way a lot of teams approach the game. They are afraid of being hauled across the coals in post match team meetings. A lot of it boils down to the ego of a coaching team and it's just another example of how the game has moved so far to the side of over coaching.     

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2021, 01:01:10 PM
Statistics are a scourge of the modern game from a spectator viewpoint and a player viewpoint. Their overuse discourages freedom of expression, creative thinking and the willingness of players to take risks. Players become obssesed about their GPS stats and how many times they gave the ball away or took a wrong option when in possession. You can see it in the way a lot of teams approach the game. They are afraid of being hauled across the coals in post match team meetings. A lot of it boils down to the ego of a coaching team and it's just another example of how the game has moved so far to the side of over coaching.   
Only if the team culture is wrong
If mistakes are constantly highlighted rather than positive plays

Its good to know what works for a team and what doesn't