Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Monaghan, 1 pt down in injury time, continued to defend in depth and allowed Tyrone to pass it around at the back and run out the clock.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2021, 08:09:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 31, 2021, 07:31:28 PM
Refereeing a Gaelic football match has got so difficult and the fact that both sides can have grievances about some very marginal decisions only reinforces the point. I thought Gough done ok on balance but may have got a few decisions wrong but no one side clearly benefitted from this. At least he is a referee that will allow some degree of physical contact.

I watched the game on BBC where the commentators kept going on about him blowing up the match 20 seconds early yet from what I recall on the screen timer he actually played more than the 3 minutes of allocated injury time.

Yeah I wondered that point on the timing. Was over 3 minutes
I think the stadium clock showed less than 3 minutes played. Was def over the 3 on the TV clock tho
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 31, 2021, 08:14:53 PM
Was 73:11 on TV I think. I thought the commentary and analysis on BBC was poor enough. Whatever this thing McConville and Harte have going on is cringeworthy too tbh.
Sidebottom constantly trying to stir it up, even when they are agreeing with each other.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyrone08

Refereeing a Gaelic football match has got so difficult and the fact that both sides can have grievances about some very marginal decisions only reinforces the point. I thought Gough done ok on balance but may have got a few decisions wrong but no one side clearly benefitted from this. At least he is a referee that will allow some degree of physical contact.

I watched the game on BBC where the commentators kept going on about him blowing up the match 20 seconds early yet from what I recall on the screen timer he actually played more than the 3 minutes of allocated injury time.
[/quote

Yeah I found it strange. When he blew it I saw 73min 9 seconds. Have no idea where they got that it was blew up 20 seconds early

tyrone08

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 31, 2021, 08:16:56 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 31, 2021, 08:14:53 PM
Was 73:11 on TV I think. I thought the commentary and analysis on BBC was poor enough. Whatever this thing McConville and Harte have going on is cringeworthy too tbh.
Sidebottom constantly trying to stir it up, even when they are agreeing with each other.

I thought it was a bit of craic to be honest. Would rather listen to bbc over rte any day

Jim Bob

Mickey has these notions about things like you don't 'win' your own ball. Even Canavan disagreed with him using McCurrys 'mark' as an example ...

TabClear

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 31, 2021, 07:34:22 PM
Tyrone still haven't sorted out their free taking either, Morgan shouldn't be near them nor should McCurry. Two easy ones missed right before half time.

Mattie missed a handy one as well. As good as he was I thought he was going to have the half from hell at one point. He missed that easy free, then a similar one from play and then that chance at the end when Beggan got back when a point would have been the right option. If Tyrone had lost I'm sure that would have been raised but then 10 minutes later he's picking up the man of the match award.

I thought the Tyrone man markers did well today. I know Monaghan's FF aren't the quickest around but they got a fist in more often than not on the one on one balls in which is unusual enough in today's game.

clarshack

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 31, 2021, 08:11:34 PM
Refereeing a Gaelic football match has got so difficult and the fact that both sides can have grievances about some very marginal decisions only reinforces the point. I thought Gough done ok on balance but may have got a few decisions wrong but no one side clearly benefitted from this. At least he is a referee that will allow some degree of physical contact. L

I think the stadium clock showed less than 3 minutes played. Was def over the 3 on the TV clock tho

There were 20 seconds left on the stadium clock.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clarshack on July 31, 2021, 11:10:50 PM
Refereeing a Gaelic football match has got so difficult and the fact that both sides can have grievances about some very marginal decisions only reinforces the point. I thought Gough done ok on balance but may have got a few decisions wrong but no one side clearly benefitted from this. At least he is a referee that will allow some degree of physical contact. L

The only clock that's worth anything is the referee's clock, forget about the clock on site
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

No, but in this day and age in Croke Park you would think they could synchronise the refs clock with other clocks as the Ladies do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 31, 2021, 07:31:20 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 31, 2021, 07:30:09 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 31, 2021, 07:23:46 PM
Monaghan came good in the second half but in reality they only did so as they copied tyrones game plan by pushing up Rory. Seem to lack ideas in the first half and thought they would model tyrone in the 2nd half. Shows a lack of ideas from monaghan managment.

The tyrone game plan is suicide against the likes of kerry or Dublin as once they lose the ball the top teams will go straight for goal.

🙄

Beggan has been roaming out the field for ages now, it's not something Tyrone invented.

He never pushed up full length of pitch on kick out?
When the game needs to be rescued Beggan will be out there for club and county, whatever it takes. The fecker rescued Scotstown out of an 8 points deficit in the last two minutes of added time  v Ballybay in the Monaghan championship s/f.  After he emasculated Mattie Donnelly all that was needed for him to cement motm was to  score  from that effort which shaded the post.

tyrone08

Quote from: Schkite on July 31, 2021, 07:30:09 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 31, 2021, 07:23:46 PM
Monaghan came good in the second half but in reality they only did so as they copied tyrones game plan by pushing up Rory. Seem to lack ideas in the first half and thought they would model tyrone in the 2nd half. Shows a lack of ideas from monaghan managment.

The tyrone game plan is suicide against the likes of kerry or Dublin as once they lose the ball the top teams will go straight for goal.

🙄

Beggan has been roaming out the field for ages now, it's not something Tyrone invented.

Not saying tyrone invented it especially cause I think it's a pointless and dangerous thing to do but Rory never done it in the first half so there was a clear change of strategy in he 2nd half. Never seen him push up in any other match as much as he did.

Seemed to be a competition between him and Morgan who could push up the most. As I said before there is no benefit to it as you either have to leave your goal completely exposed or a defender had to cover the goal.

Wildweasel74

Why couldnt he just pick up the forward nearest to goal and let a actual outfield player push up which been more benifical.

BennyCake

Quote from: clarshack on July 31, 2021, 11:10:50 PM

Clock stopped at 73.10. The clock was stopped and restarted for water break so appropriate time was played

BennyCake

Since goalkeepers are all over the place now, surely  a rule will have to come in where both goalkeepers have different coloured jersies?