Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Roscommon 0-9 Galway 1-10. 55 minutes played.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

FT Roscommon 0-12 Galway 2-11. 2nd goal a total gift ended the game as a contest. That Galway performance today won't get close to beating Mayo in the final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

skeog

befair

Roscommon defensive tactics were self-defeating; also terrible to watch

galwayman

To be fair to both sets of players the conditions were absolutely horrendous.

An Fhairche Abu

Awful game, awful conditions. Galway needed to dig it out and they did, not a great performance, certainly not good enough for Mayo. Unless Rossies got a few points up that system wasn't going to do the job really. That said I wouldn't have any criticism of it though, if they did get a good lead from say a goal, Galway would have been up against it trying to break it down, the handling conditions there in the Hyde today were appalling.
Shane Walsh injury is typical, as soon as Galway got second goal if he had a strain he should have been hooked.

McHugh has grown reasonably into CHB role, I would have been skeptical as to how he'd get on but he's improved a lot. The Kelly's are two really good lads, couldn't have enough of those players involved in a county setup.
Tierney has the talent alright, will hopefully kick on.

Edit:
Forgot to mention for all that McHugh is playing alright, Galway look very exposed to teams that can run at pace straight into the middle of the defence with players to off load to, I would say that this is probably what Mayo do better than nearly any other team, if the Galway mgt don't come up with a structure to combat this then it'll be a long day in McHale Park on the 25th.

Cunny Funt

Conditions certainly played its part but that was such a low quality match between too sides low on confidence after relegation 3 weeks ago.

The goals was the obvious difference, first one Peter Cooke allowed to drift in unchallenged and it was a comedy of errors by Roscommon on the 2nd goal. Big part of Galway display was defensively, they never allowed Roscommon to get a goal that they needed, tackled in packs and marked the Murtaghs and Cox out of the game.

That win should be enough to keep Joyce on for another year but unless they improve its hard to see them beating Mayo in the final. It will likely be the end of the road for Anthony Cunningham as Roscommon manager.

weareros

Deserved win for Galway. I was optimistic at half time as after Galway goal, we started to play and string good scores together. We did miss a lot too, and had what looked a good point waved wide, and looked like opposite happened for Galway in second half. Very disjointed second half and apart from Cregg's 2 minutes before injury  when he stole in for a score, subs did not work. AC did not have a great day on the line and how Kiloran and Diarmuid were taken off before Cox is a mystery. As for the new defensive Poacher tactics, just awful to watch. Adds nothing to our game, other than signal to opposition we are afraid. It's been a poor year and I suppose the best that can be said is we are put out of our misery. Congrats to Galway, they will know themselves that a huge improvement is needed for a Mayo even without COC. But Shane Walsh would be a bigger loss for Galway. But like last year, Galway can always raise their game for Mayo.

galwayman

Quote from: weareros on July 04, 2021, 05:13:16 PM
Deserved win for Galway. I was optimistic at half time as after Galway goal, we started to play and string good scores together. We did miss a lot too, and had what looked a good point waved wide, and looked like opposite happened for Galway in second half. Very disjointed second half and apart from Cregg's 2 minutes before injury  when he stole in for a score, subs did not work. AC did not have a great day on the line and how Kiloran and Diarmuid were taken off before Cox is a mystery. As for the new defensive Poacher tactics, just awful to watch. Adds nothing to our game, other than signal to opposition we are afraid. It's been a poor year and I suppose the best that can be said is we are put out of our misery. Congrats to Galway, they will know themselves that a huge improvement is needed for a Mayo even without COC. But Shane Walsh would be a bigger loss for Galway. But like last year, Galway can always raise their game for Mayo.
Gracious words weareros- fair play.
You're right - Shane is just totally irreplaceable.
It was obvious watching him he was carrying a hamstring today - I really don't think he should have played today. He seems to have aggravated it now too which is a disaster for the Connacht final.

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on July 04, 2021, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 04, 2021, 05:13:16 PM
Gracious words weareros- fair play.
You're right - Shane is just totally irreplaceable.
It was obvious watching him he was carrying a hamstring today - I really don't think he should have played today. He seems to have aggravated it now too which is a disaster for the Connacht final.

You could see he was really reluctant to shoot today which isn't like him so he obviously wasn't 100%, hopefully he hasn't done too much damage. The young lads really stood up today while our more senior players were quiet enough, Molloy, McHugh, the Kellys and Tierney were really good. Gleeson needs to get rid of the ball a lot quicker, he's not comfortable on the ball and his distribution is dodgy. Huge improvements to be made in a lot of areas but a step in the right direction anyway.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2021, 03:38:04 PM
Conditions certainly played its part but that was such a low quality match between too sides low on confidence after relegation 3 weeks ago.

The goals was the obvious difference, first one Peter Cooke allowed to drift in unchallenged and it was a comedy of errors by Roscommon on the 2nd goal. Big part of Galway display was defensively, they never allowed Roscommon to get a goal that they needed, tackled in packs and marked the Murtaghs and Cox out of the game.

That win should be enough to keep Joyce on for another year but unless they improve its hard to see them beating Mayo in the final. It will likely be the end of the road for Anthony Cunningham as Roscommon manager.
He might end up as the new Galway hurling manager.

Rossfan

As Weareros said we've been put out of our misery which has been ongoing since last November.
Galway deserved the win if only for attacking with a bit of pace while we went on with thoul sideways backward walking pace watery shite football.
Don't know if AC will stay but he displayed a lack of confidence in himself by hiring that Poacher.
We seem to be on an inevitable slide as happens with small Counties when a set of good players run out of steam.

Hard luck on Cathal Cregg lasting only 2 minutes on what is probably his last Ros game after 13 or14 years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Hard luck to the Rossies, our neighbours.
Straight knockout reminds me of the late 90s. The long drive home and nothing til the following year.

Manning18

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 03, 2021, 02:24:55 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2021, 08:41:26 PM
Yeah it was open knowledge Mayo were training through the first lockdown, never mind the second. I could understand PJ making the mistake once but it happening twice is unforgiveable. Even the way he talks about covid in interviews you get the impression he thinks there should be no GAA at all and it's unfair making players play

Aye that's it. Mayo were training during lockdown and Galway weren't

You leave Frankie Dolan in the ha'penny place when it comes to having a chip on your shoulder about Mayo!

The GAA asked every team during lockdown one were they collectively training. 28 said no and 4 said no comment, including Mayo. Do you play a bit of ball? It's not exactly hard to hear these things. Perhaps you need to branch out your social circle a bit? What exactly would I, as a Galway person, have a chip about Mayo about? The 3 All Ireland's in 272 GAA seasons is it?

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2021, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2021, 03:38:04 PM

He might end up as the new Galway hurling manager.
There's nearly as much chance of you or I getting it as Cunningham. He was hounded out the last time - he won't ever get it again.