Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2021, 12:42:35 PM
After winning a few in a row I expect the Rhubarbs started to look at peaking for the closing stages of the AI and let us and Galway scrap away for Nestor.
Anyway on to the Hyde next Sunday where we'll see have Ros shaken off the lethargy evident in the NFL and last November.
If we have then uts a 50/50 game.
If we haven't there will be only 1 winner and we'll be left soul searching to see has this present squad reached the end of the line.

its a hard one to call, Galway looked so poor v kerry but looked a lot better v dublin . Their game with Monaghan still has me scratching my head , how galway didnt close it out with been the better team and a few points ahead coming down the stretch is worrying for them especially with it being such a meaningful game .Roscommon were sluggish in the league in what i saw and didnt look like they had much about them , have they lost a bit of belief ?

id make galway favs , gun to my head id stick my euro on galway by 6 . knockout championship will give it an edge though obviously and cunningham seems to have that part mastered.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

This game is 50/50, you couldn't know what way either team will show up.

twohands!!!

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2021, 01:45:54 PM
You couldn't know what way either team will show up.

The plus side of both sides recent form is that there is the possibility of it being a tight exciting game.
Whoever wins the will be hoping the win will give them momentum to take on Mayo in Castlebar.
This is Cunningham's last year of his term - would be no great surprise if he moved on - the Connacht title in 2019 seems like millenia ago at this stage.
PJ has one year left and I think even with the relegation and if Galway lose this game he will get to see his term out.

Solo_run

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 27, 2021, 10:31:41 PM
Anybody notice the Sligo 11, Cian Lally, coming on.
Substitution was delayed as he didn't have his gumshield - you'd be raging as a manger - but then as he ran onto the field he just stuck it in his sock.

Every time the camera was on him he seemed to be smirking.
Later on, he fell over and got a very soft free. You could see he wasn't wearing the gum shield.

It's a while since I played, and gumshields weren't compulsory
Would it be common that players would leave them out and play on?
Or did the ref miss it cos it would be that rare that he wouldn't notice

Stefan Campbell for Armagh was given a yellow card for not wearing one against Tyrone

galwayman

I think Roscommon are similar to ourselves in that you don't know what you're going to get from game to game.
A base level of consistency of performance that Dublin (obviously), Kerry (Cork blip apart) and Mayo provide just isn't there.
We are the type of team that could scrape a result against Mayo or Kerry on the one hand (on a given day), then just as easily lose to them by 15-20 points another day. We don't seem to have the quality to perform on a consistent basis.
I have no idea what to expect from us on Sunday either. Completely 50-50 game I think.

Solo_run

If I were Mayo I would be very wary of playing Galway or Roscommon

galwayman

Quote from: Solo_run on June 28, 2021, 04:13:43 PM
There is zero evidence to suggest either would trouble them unfortunately.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Solo_run on June 28, 2021, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 27, 2021, 10:31:41 PM
Anybody notice the Sligo 11, Cian Lally, coming on.
Substitution was delayed as he didn't have his gumshield - you'd be raging as a manger - but then as he ran onto the field he just stuck it in his sock.

Every time the camera was on him he seemed to be smirking.
Later on, he fell over and got a very soft free. You could see he wasn't wearing the gum shield.

It's a while since I played, and gumshields weren't compulsory
Would it be common that players would leave them out and play on?
Or did the ref miss it cos it would be that rare that he wouldn't notice

Stefan Campbell for Armagh was given a yellow card for not wearing one against Tyrone

The enforcement can vary from ref to ref. I've definitely seen lads at intercounty without them on occasion.

The reason it was brought in was on those occasions where things go wrong it can end up costing a lot of money to fix.

I remember talking to a dentist a few years back and he was saying the rule about gum shields should have been brought in years ago.

He was saying that when things do go wrong a gum shield will reduce the odds of being injured and even when there is an injury it will reduce the severity.

He was also saying that its nuts that other sports - rugby, soccer, basketball don't have gum shields as mandatory.

Solo_run

Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2021, 04:36:22 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 28, 2021, 04:13:43 PM
There is zero evidence to suggest either would trouble them unfortunately.

I think Galway have more of a point to prove and they will be annoyed they were relegated. I like Galway but I am glad Monaghan stayed up as I wouldn't have liked Armagh playing against them had they gone down.

Relegation and the loss to Armagh will have quite a damaging effect on Roscommon's morale and where they are as a team. They lost their relegation play-off convincingly and whilst Galways will be annoyed they missed their opportunity to stay in the division.

I think it will be a Galway and Mayo final and unlike last year you will get a championship game beforehand 

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 28, 2021, 02:12:22 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2021, 01:45:54 PM
You couldn't know what way either team will show up.

The plus side of both sides recent form is that there is the possibility of it being a tight exciting game.
Whoever wins the will be hoping the win will give them momentum to take on Mayo in Castlebar.
This is Cunningham's last year of his term - would be no great surprise if he moved on - the Connacht title in 2019 seems like millenia ago at this stage.
PJ has one year left and I think even with the relegation and if Galway lose this game he will get to see his term out.

Cunningham got an extension but may walk after a defeat on Sunday. https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/anthony-cunningham-given-two-year-extension-as-roscommon-boss-39782916.html
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Another defeat and poor performance could well see him walk.
If he does we'll have another Autumn of drama and farce based on our record of manager appointments!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2021, 09:23:29 PM
Another defeat and poor performance could well see him walk.
If he does we'll have another Autumn of drama and farce based on our record of manager appointments!

Instead of Sligo McEntee would have been perfect for Roscommon

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Not as worried about the sluggish league performances as many in the county and the Roscommon Herald as ever makes for depressing reading this week. Put simply a county of our resources cannot be all things and extra emphasis on league has resulted in flat championship in modern times. I have faith AC knows what he is doing and the way Gary had the young Bridgets team flying fit in the championship last year gives me hope that we are timing things for a good old assault on Connacht.

The Black Mamba

On the last 3 occasions Roscommon have been relegated, we've won the Connacht title. Good league form doesn't usually translate to championship for us recently.