Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2021, 11:08:10 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 26, 2021, 10:32:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2021, 10:03:16 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 26, 2021, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2021, 09:39:28 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 26, 2021, 09:32:24 PM
Well done Mayo tonight. That was a comprehensive victory. Almost as impressive as Kerry's hammering of Clare.

I always thought that the Leinster championship was a joke based on posters opinions here. Turns out the Munster/Connacht championship is just as farcical
Today was the All-Ireland finalists hammering a Div 4 team that was hammered themselves in their shield final against Wexford.

Connacht winners the last 6 years. Mayo 2,Galway 2 and Roscommon 2.
Exactly. It just shows how farcical the championship is when it's based on a provincial system.

Hammerings happens in all team sports systems.
A 5 five team provincial championship having the last 6 titles shared between 3 teams is far from a farcical.

So what your saying is the likes of Leitrim/Sligo and London just have to suck it up as the winners each year might be different. I'm just glad it not a dubs fan suggesting that
They'd be slaughtered for such arrogance

Carry on, I made the mistake in thinking you were giving an serious opinion.

Provincial championships are a waste of time. Routine hammerings handed out in 3 of the provinces every year that achieve nothing for anybody. Yet only Dublin and Leinster championship gets criticised for it's hammerings here.

At least in hurling they have different tournaments for sides of different abilities and it's run on a league basis rather than knock out like all the main competitions in other sports

From the Bunker

Without Googling tell me the teams in each of the McDonagh, Christy Ring, Nickey Rackard and Lory Meagher competitions.

Who are the reigning Champions in each competition?

How many of these games are covered on Live TV?

Has any county progressed since the emergence of these competitions?

seafoid

Leinster was engineered to be a waste of time.

The other provinces still have the capacity for great drama such as Leitrim in 94 or Tipp last year.

Other sports such as the 6N and EPL also have structural inequalities.  Which countries have won the least Grand Slams? How many titles have Liverpool and Man Utd won compared to.West Ham and Tottenham ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

The fairest way is a 32 county open draw all Ireland with luck of draw weaker teams could get at least to quarter finals   

Eire90

i dont see why hurling are still running provincials championships linked to all ireland aswell hurling should get rid of provincials and have a national draw

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 27, 2021, 10:54:10 AM
Without Googling tell me the teams in each of the McDonagh, Christy Ring, Nickey Rackard and Lory Meagher competitions.

Who are the reigning Champions in each competition?

How many of these games are covered on Live TV?

Has any county progressed since the emergence of these competitions?

I don't know off the top of my head at least but by playing against sides of similar ability they have a chance of a trophy to aim for at the start of every championship season. Is that not the point of competitive sport! You're always moaning no one can win the All Ireland anymore and you want Dublin to keep winning so things will change.

Lack of tv coverage is such a ridiculous argument against change. How many times have Leitrim, Wicklow, Wexford, footballers been on tv? If they get a 2 minutes highlights package on the Sunday game they're lucky.

I bet Sligo were delighted their humiliation was broadcast on tv last night. It probably made the defeat slightly lees depressing knowing they had the game recorded and they could watch it back today

dublin7

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2021, 10:56:08 AM
Leinster was engineered to be a waste of time.

The other provinces still have the capacity for great drama such as Leitrim in 94 or Tipp last year.

Other sports such as the 6N and EPL also have structural inequalities.  Which countries have won the least Grand Slams? How many titles have Liverpool and Man Utd won compared to.West Ham and Tottenham ?

The EPL is an excellent example of how to run a competition. Teams compete against each other in a league format on a home and away basis and everyone plays the exact same number of games against the exact same opposition. If you're a good team you challenge for the trophies. If you're not good enough for that level you drop down a level to play against teams closer to your level the following season.

The only difference being teams in the EPL can buy/sell players to improve dramatically and quickly themselves where as in GAA transfers don't exist (expect for Seanie Johnston)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on June 27, 2021, 01:48:32 PM
at least but by playing against sides of similar ability they have a chance of a trophy to aim for.

Already have that, it's called NFL Div 3,4. And for the record neither Sligo, Leitrim were good enough to challenge for Div 4 title.

Rossfan

Quote from: Eire90 on June 27, 2021, 11:40:53 AM
The fairest way is a 32 county open draw all Ireland with luck of draw weaker teams could get at least to quarter finals
And play it in November .....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2021, 01:57:43 PM
at least but by playing against sides of similar ability they have a chance of a trophy to aim for.

Already have that, it's called NFL Div 3,4. And for the record neither Sligo, Leitrim were good enough to challenge for Div 4 title.

So you're saying they deserve to be hammered in the championship come summer. Fair enough. Good to know come later on in the year

Eire90

Quote from: dublin7 on June 27, 2021, 06:21:31 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 27, 2021, 01:57:43 PM

So you're saying they deserve to be hammered in the championship come summer. Fair enough. Good to know come later on in the year

no why would you play it november unless you want two all ireland champiosnhips per year

Never beat the deeler

Anybody notice the Sligo 11, Cian Lally, coming on.
Substitution was delayed as he didn't have his gumshield - you'd be raging as a manger - but then as he ran onto the field he just stuck it in his sock.

Every time the camera was on him he seemed to be smirking.
Later on, he fell over and got a very soft free. You could see he wasn't wearing the gum shield.

It's a while since I played, and gumshields weren't compulsory
Would it be common that players would leave them out and play on?
Or did the ref miss it cos it would be that rare that he wouldn't notice
Hasta la victoria siempre

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2021, 09:41:07 PM
Yep feckin Rhubarbs on a 1 in a row run or 1 out of last 5.
Puts Dublin's 15 out of 16/10 in a row in the halfpenny place.

Mayo have been the best team in connacht since 2011  , we have played in finals of 12,13, 16,17 and 20. semi finals of 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19 & 20.

i think galway got to semi in 18 but apart from that both galway and ros have been very poor when winning nestor cup . I personally dont mind if others see it different but the truth is never has there been a sustained period where a team in connacht been clear cut better than the rest .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

After winning a few in a row I expect the Rhubarbs started to look at peaking for the closing stages of the AI and let us and Galway scrap away for Nestor.
Anyway on to the Hyde next Sunday where we'll see have Ros shaken off the lethargy evident in the NFL and last November.
If we have then uts a 50/50 game.
If we haven't there will be only 1 winner and we'll be left soul searching to see has this present squad reached the end of the line.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM