Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

One thing which gave me hope was reports of Mayowestros lafs celebrating like they'd won the AI last week after the Galway game.
They probably found it hard to come down to earth in a week.
Mind you they should have been out of sight by that first water break as we were awful.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Great win. Have enjoyed our 3 games in Connacht immensely. Very concerning first quarter - and looked like it could be one of those days. But if anything that qtr ended with Mayo losing confidence, as they kicked some thunderous wides and tired themselves out with a labourious style of play, very un-Mayolike style. Ros never looked back once they settled in 2nd qtr. Much better tackling team than I realised, good foot passers which was vital in that heat, and a set of forwards always looking to score. We had bad misses too so there's a huge amount of improvement but with some of our best players only coming back from injury, we will get better. Hard luck to Mayo, when you knock out an All-Ireland Favourite has to be disappointing to then lose provincial final. A bright spot was some of their midfield fielding. But will lament lack of forwards in this group. Have a stronger group coming next year, as has Sligo.

whitey

According to the commentator on Mid West every time a Mayo forward got the ball they turned back towards midfield then started hand passing across the field

Sounds like they had a plan for Galway but none for tonight

Cunny Funt

Congrats to the Roscommon U20s. The better team for 45 minutes of that game, better quality of forwards proved the difference.

Since the introduction of the U20 grade the 4 Connacht titles has been shared between 3 counties.

Farrandeelin

Hopefully the Mayo minors will fare a bit better tomorrow night and win. I must say I haven't been following the underage scene in Mayo too closely lately so I can't comment on who's good enough or not. It's an awful pity that it's one and done for whoever loses tomorrow night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 22, 2021, 10:25:21 PM
Hopefully the Mayo minors will fare a bit better tomorrow night and win. I must say I haven't been following the underage scene in Mayo too closely lately so I can't comment on who's good enough or not. It's an awful pity that it's one and done for whoever loses tomorrow night.

Yes it's not much of development grade for the loser tomorrow and these set of players had no U16 competitions last year either.

Roscommon team

Sean Kelly (Clann na nGael)
Daniel Casey (Boyle)
Conor Harley (Padraig Pearses)
James Brady (Tulsk)
James McGreal (Eire Og)
Ethan O'Reilly (Roscommon Gaels)
Eden Kerins (Boyle)
Shane Walsh (Oran)
DJ Hession (Roscommon Gaels)
Rory Hester (Western Gaels)
Ryan Conlon (Roscommon Gaels)
Bobby Nugent (St Brigids)
Robert Heneghan (Michael Glaveys)
Shane McGinley (Strokestown)
Colm Neary (Strokestown)

Mayo team

1. Tiernan Burke - Kiltimagh
2.Lorcan Silke - Westport
3.Jack Walsh - Burrishoole
4.Brendan Collins - Ballina Stephenites
5.Cathal Corless - Davitts
6.Jack Ferguson - Swinford
7.Conal Dawson - Westport
8.Sean Morahan - Castlebar Mitchels
9.Diarmuid Duffy - Ballinrobe
10.Sean Neary - Ballina Stephenites
11.Fiachra Cruise - Bohola Moy Davitts
12.Tom O'Flaherty - Aghamore
13.James Maheady - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
14.Ronan Clarke - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Pierce Deane - Breaffy

Rossfan

Ros 4-6 Rhus 1-8:half time.

4-13 to 2-12.
What a 48 hours!!!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2021, 07:42:57 PM
Ros 4-6 Rhus 1-8:half time.

4-13 to 2-12.
What a 48 hours!!!

Twice in 3 nights to beat Mayo by 7 points is impressive stuff.

Rudi

Rhubarb crumble, the Willie Joe Blog will melt tonight. Think I will pull up an armchair and enjoy the fun.

larryin89

Quote from: Rudi on July 23, 2021, 09:24:11 PM
Rhubarb crumble, the Willie Joe Blog will melt tonight. Think I will pull up an armchair and enjoy the fun.

Ahh dont get too carried away , I remember ye beating us out the gate in 2014 too in under 21 . Here we are seven year later with four of that mayo team starting for the seniors in croke park tomorrow,  where are the rossies , at home  waving us on our way  as usual .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Goals win matches. Roscommon got more goals (and points) last night. Was only listening to Midwest, but it sounded from Austin Garvin that Roscommon had better footballers skill wise. It might be a wake up call for Mayo at underage structural level.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

Quote from: larryin89 on July 24, 2021, 08:10:11 AM

Ahh dont get too carried away , I remember ye beating us out the gate in 2014 too in under 21 . Here we are seven year later with four of that mayo team starting for the seniors in croke park tomorrow,  where are the rossies , at home  waving us on our way  as usual .

"waving us on our way"

I would say giving youse the middle finger  ;D

Good luck against Galway tomorrow NOT  ;D

Rossfan

Ahh dont get too carried away , I remember ye beating us out the gate in 2014 too in under 21 . Here we are seven year later with four of that mayo team starting for the seniors in croke park tomorrow, 
10 or more of that Ros team that night became Seniors and won 2 Connacht Titles.

A memorable night for 2 reasons - the other being I discovered who Syferus was that night.
He's still spouting nonsense on stolensheep🙄

Cunny Funt

If Mayo wasn't as you say beaten out the gate maybe more than 4 of that team would be playing for Mayo seniors right now? Three of those 4 was Stephen Coen, Diarmuid O'Connor and Michael Plunkett all part the Mayo 2016 U21 and 2013 minor All Ireland winning teams.

weareros

Great performance by young Rossies yesterday. Nice direct, fast style and no little skill by the underage teams. Won in the first half in a blistering spell, and always maintained a comfortable lead but credit to Mayo too they never gave up, when heads can easily drop at this age group. Heat and cramp took a lot out of both sides and recovery will be tough for semi against Galway.