Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: macker15 on July 04, 2021, 10:07:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2021, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2021, 12:02:20 PM
Fair play to Mulryan indeed for all his help....but he still had to be paid for the houses.
The whole question of funding Counties, expenditure on County teams etc , needs a serious examination to see if a solution based on fairness can be found.

It will never be completely fair. But there should be a common pool of money divided by 32 (or what ever the number is minus Kilkenny plus London and New York). A squad of 30+ players from Leitrim should be entitled to the same expenses as a squad from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry and the obvious one!

This is in relation to football only. Hurling would need a different mechanism!

With a Dublin club winning 2 All Ireland club titles as well, you can see how much the increased funding has impacted hurling in Dublin. A complete transformation.

Dublin ladies footballers added to their large title haul recently also. Again, a huge change post funding.

Dublin senior footballers played their first away game in the Leinster championship since 2006 today. It took 15 years! They are on their way to winning 7 All Ireland's in a row.

Just to remind everyone, this all comes from Dublin GAA receiving millions more in development funding than every other county since 2002. We're almost at the 2 decade anniversary of that disgraceful decision to segregate public and GAA funds for a one county specific program.

15 years!

IT would be interesting if someone could put a list together of the away matches Dublin have played in the championship over the past 25 years.

I remember a lot of commentary at the time about the novelty when Dublin played Derry (I think) in a qualifier in Clones years ago.

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2021, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: macker15 on July 04, 2021, 10:07:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2021, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2021, 12:02:20 PM
Fair play to Mulryan indeed for all his help....but he still had to be paid for the houses.
The whole question of funding Counties, expenditure on County teams etc , needs a serious examination to see if a solution based on fairness can be found.

It will never be completely fair. But there should be a common pool of money divided by 32 (or what ever the number is minus Kilkenny plus London and New York). A squad of 30+ players from Leitrim should be entitled to the same expenses as a squad from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry and the obvious one!

This is in relation to football only. Hurling would need a different mechanism!

With a Dublin club winning 2 All Ireland club titles as well, you can see how much the increased funding has impacted hurling in Dublin. A complete transformation.

Dublin ladies footballers added to their large title haul recently also. Again, a huge change post funding.

Dublin senior footballers played their first away game in the Leinster championship since 2006 today. It took 15 years! They are on their way to winning 7 All Ireland's in a row.

Just to remind everyone, this all comes from Dublin GAA receiving millions more in development funding than every other county since 2002. We're almost at the 2 decade anniversary of that disgraceful decision to segregate public and GAA funds for a one county specific program.

15 years!

IT would be interesting if someone could put a list together of the away matches Dublin have played in the championship over the past 25 years.

I remember a lot of commentary at the time about the novelty when Dublin played Derry (I think) in a qualifier in Clones years ago.

Away game for the Dubs but not necessarily a home game for their opposition on most occasions . The likes of Nowlan Pk used as neutral venues

seafoid

If you had 7 amalgamations as follows

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Offaly Westmeath Longford
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

And divided Dublin into 5 teams you could have 24 teams for the football , I believe.
Population would be minimum 195k for each . You would have to make allowance for hurling and Northern Prods but it would be feasible.
It would represent a huge improvement on the status quo.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2021, 07:03:12 PM

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

And divided Dublin into 5 teams you could have 24 teams for the football , I believe.
Population would be minimum 195k for each . You would have to make allowance for hurling and Northern Prods but it would be feasible.

No thanks

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 10, 2021, 07:01:44 AM

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks
Unless you break up Dublin it won't be competitive
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on July 14, 2021, 04:43:30 PM

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

dublin is a different issue but why, as an armagh man, would I support these amalgamations?

TheGreatest

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 14, 2021, 08:01:19 PM

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

dublin is a different issue but why, as an armagh man, would I support these amalgamations?

I wouldn't either but do you support Dublin being split up. . . ..  it will never happen.

3 tier championship, senior , inter, junior, and live with Dublin always being there or there abouts annually.

tonto1888

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 15, 2021, 09:45:54 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 14, 2021, 08:01:19 PM

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

I wouldn't either but do you support Dublin being split up. . . ..  it will never happen.

3 tier championship, senior , inter, junior, and live with Dublin always being there or there abouts annually.

I don't agree with splitting or amalgamating any county/counties

Never Give Up

Dublin fans clearly think the gravy train should not just be for the Dublin players and officials..

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/dublin-fan-fails-to-sue-gaa-490151

TheGreatest

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2021, 02:41:29 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40740168.html

What Dublin Schools and clubs needs is more funding, currently there not enough Funding going into certain clubs and areas at Juvenile level.

Proposal should be rejected.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 09, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2021, 02:41:29 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40740168.html

What Dublin Schools and clubs needs is more funding, currently there not enough Funding going into certain clubs and areas at Juvenile level.

Proposal should be rejected.

Nah. Sure it's not about the money.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

High Fielder

Separating teams into counties has never been successful and never will be. The odds are stacked so heavily against weaker counties for a whole host of reasons. Aside from that, the GAA is one of the only sports where your place of birth pretty much determines your chances of being successful. There is no avenue to the top for the good Leitrim footballer or Mayo hurler, aside from the odd day out. This makes the GAA fundamentally flawed at source in my opinion, but we're so wedded to this idealogical bullshit that these same discussions will be going on in 50 years time. So we have a lifetime of watching the same teams playing for the same trophies because that's just the way it is. How f**king boring is that.

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 10, 2021, 07:54:10 AM
Separating teams into counties has never been successful and never will be. The odds are stacked so heavily against weaker counties for a whole host of reasons. Aside from that, the GAA is one of the only sports where your place of birth pretty much determines your chances of being successful. There is no avenue to the top for the good Leitrim footballer or Mayo hurler, aside from the odd day out. This makes the GAA fundamentally flawed at source in my opinion, but we're so wedded to this idealogical bullshit that these same discussions will be going on in 50 years time. So we have a lifetime of watching the same teams playing for the same trophies because that's just the way it is. How f**king boring is that.

Funny that's what I love about the gaa. I see the local soccer teams here where they teams change yearly and players bounce about between teams and I think, Naw. I know it happens on occasion where a player leaves to join a bigger club. But they are usually the exceptions.
Most players in the gaa tend to be 1 club for life. For me that's a good thing.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

High Fielder

They don't really have a choice. And let's be honest, too many good players go whole careers winning nothing. It doesn't make sense when players like Niall McNamee for instance had very little opportunity to play in big games. Surely one of the best forwards in recent living memory. The GAA basically has nothing to offer talent like that because his county was going through a lean period