Author Topic: Money, Dublin and the GAA  (Read 230277 times)

J70

• View Profile
Re: Money, Dublin and the GAA
« Reply #2805 on: July 06, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »
Fair play to Mulryan indeed for all his help....but he still had to be paid for the houses.
The whole question of funding Counties, expenditure on County teams etc , needs a serious examination to see if a solution based on fairness can be found.

It will never be completely fair. But there should be a common pool of money divided by 32 (or what ever the number is minus Kilkenny plus London and New York). A squad of 30+ players from Leitrim should be entitled to the same expenses as a squad from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry and the obvious one!

This is in relation to football only. Hurling would need a different mechanism!

With a Dublin club winning 2 All Ireland club titles as well, you can see how much the increased funding has impacted hurling in Dublin. A complete transformation.

Dublin ladies footballers added to their large title haul recently also. Again, a huge change post funding.

Dublin senior footballers played their first away game in the Leinster championship since 2006 today. It took 15 years! They are on their way to winning 7 All Ireland's in a row.

Just to remind everyone, this all comes from Dublin GAA receiving millions more in development funding than every other county since 2002. We're almost at the 2 decade anniversary of that disgraceful decision to segregate public and GAA funds for a one county specific program.

15 years!

IT would be interesting if someone could put a list together of the away matches Dublin have played in the championship over the past 25 years.

I remember a lot of commentary at the time about the novelty when Dublin played Derry (I think) in a qualifier in Clones years ago.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: July 06, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
Fair play to Mulryan indeed for all his help....but he still had to be paid for the houses.
The whole question of funding Counties, expenditure on County teams etc , needs a serious examination to see if a solution based on fairness can be found.

It will never be completely fair. But there should be a common pool of money divided by 32 (or what ever the number is minus Kilkenny plus London and New York). A squad of 30+ players from Leitrim should be entitled to the same expenses as a squad from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry and the obvious one!

This is in relation to football only. Hurling would need a different mechanism!

With a Dublin club winning 2 All Ireland club titles as well, you can see how much the increased funding has impacted hurling in Dublin. A complete transformation.

Dublin ladies footballers added to their large title haul recently also. Again, a huge change post funding.

Dublin senior footballers played their first away game in the Leinster championship since 2006 today. It took 15 years! They are on their way to winning 7 All Ireland's in a row.

Just to remind everyone, this all comes from Dublin GAA receiving millions more in development funding than every other county since 2002. We're almost at the 2 decade anniversary of that disgraceful decision to segregate public and GAA funds for a one county specific program.

15 years!

IT would be interesting if someone could put a list together of the away matches Dublin have played in the championship over the past 25 years.

I remember a lot of commentary at the time about the novelty when Dublin played Derry (I think) in a qualifier in Clones years ago.

Away game for the Dubs but not necessarily a home game for their opposition on most occasions . The likes of Nowlan Pk used as neutral venues

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: July 06, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »
If you had 7 amalgamations as follows

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Offaly Westmeath Longford
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

And divided Dublin into 5 teams you could have 24 teams for the football , I believe.
Population would be minimum 195k for each . You would have to make allowance for hurling and Northern Prods but it would be feasible.
It would represent a huge improvement on the status quo.
Lookit

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: July 10, 2021, 07:01:44 AM »

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

And divided Dublin into 5 teams you could have 24 teams for the football , I believe.
Population would be minimum 195k for each . You would have to make allowance for hurling and Northern Prods but it would be feasible.

No thanks

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: July 14, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks
Unless you break up Dublin it won't be competitive
Lookit

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: July 14, 2021, 08:01:19 PM »

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

dublin is a different issue but why, as an armagh man, would I support these amalgamations?

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: July 15, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

dublin is a different issue but why, as an armagh man, would I support these amalgamations?

I wouldn't either but do you support Dublin being split up. . . ..  it will never happen.

3 tier championship, senior , inter, junior, and live with Dublin always being there or there abouts annually.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: July 15, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

No thanks

I wouldn't either but do you support Dublin being split up. . . ..  it will never happen.

3 tier championship, senior , inter, junior, and live with Dublin always being there or there abouts annually.

I donít agree with splitting or amalgamating any county/counties