Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Great win on the road by our lot above in Clones. I'll be disappointed if we don t build on that at home this weekend. Kerry started the year spluttering a bit but were bright eyed and bushy tailed as soon as a gunslingin' Donegal rode into town. Donegal were cranky for February above in Ballybofey the Sunday before and Kerry took note and seemed keen to get their retaliation in first it appeared.
That game may have slaked their thirst for blood for a whileeen.
Hopefully we can get a couple of wins now. Twould be nice to be heading up to Longford for the last game as a semi-final shoot-out rather than a relegation must-win.

mayoman dan

Well theres no love lost between these 2 teams.Will be a real battle.From a Mayo point of view i would like to see someone new tried at 6.Someone to hold the ground as they say.S Coen if he is available? Teams are still having joy running straight through the middle at us.Any word on Freeman? He needs to be given a go if fit

maigheo

Wonder is Diarmuid o Connor going to play with the u 21 game coming up?I thought I saw somewhere that he said he would be unavailable for the Kerry game.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 07, 2016, 10:37:58 PM
Well theres no love lost between these 2 teams.Will be a real battle.From a Mayo point of view i would like to see someone new tried at 6.Someone to hold the ground as they say.S Coen if he is available? Teams are still having joy running straight through the middle at us.Any word on Freeman? He needs to be given a go if fit

Maybe it's about organisation rather than somebody holding the ground. Not sure a big stopper can stop a runner like Ryan McHugh without taking his head off as he goes past. Nally was lucky to stay on the pitch for doing that last week. Surely Freeman would be in there already if he was about? dunno what is going on there?

We know what Freeman is about and he knows the game at this level too. I d give the younger lads to bed in more, get to the pace of things, get a bit of confidence and form - hopefully in a winning side.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: maigheo on March 07, 2016, 11:09:20 PM
Wonder is Diarmuid o Connor going to play with the u 21 game coming up?I thought I saw somewhere that he said he would be unavailable for the Kerry game.
Mayo U21 game isn't on until the 19th which should make him available for both games.

maigheo

Have never understood the call from some Mayo fans for a stopper at 6 or for a fullback with a big presence on the edge of the square.Do you want a chb just to stand  on the 40 and not move thro out the game?Same with fullback.I have seen calls for Sheamus O Shea to be installed on the edge of the square to catch any high balls but guess what every team would play low balls to the wing if OShea was fullback.Ger Caff is one of the better fullbacks to play for Mayo and is always designated to mark the oppositions best forward and I do not think that he is fully appreciated by a lot of Mayo fans

rosnarun

Quote from: maigheo on March 08, 2016, 01:20:20 AM
Have never understood the call from some Mayo fans for a stopper at 6 or for a fullback with a big presence on the edge of the square.Do you want a chb just to stand  on the 40 and not move thro out the game?Same with fullback.I have seen calls for Sheamus O Shea to be installed on the edge of the square to catch any high balls but guess what every team would play low balls to the wing if OShea was fullback.Ger Caff is one of the better fullbacks to play for Mayo and is always designated to mark the oppositions best forward and I do not think that he is fully appreciated by a lot of Mayo fans

as long as caff realises he cant actually play football and needs to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it.
he did a wonderful job on mcmanus and I was really impress (and amused) buy his prematch warm up but i fear every time he solos the ball.

As for runs up the middle its the most effective technique for atttack in the moderen Game as as soon as a player is touched its a free and a possible black card. The 2 mchughs nearly destroyed mayo in ballybofey  and Dublin though are experts at it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on March 08, 2016, 12:02:20 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 07, 2016, 10:37:58 PM

Maybe it's about organisation rather than somebody holding the ground. Not sure a big stopper can stop a runner like Ryan McHugh without taking his head off as he goes past. Nally was lucky to stay on the pitch for doing that last week. Surely Freeman would be in there already if he was about? dunno what is going on there?

We know what Freeman is about and he knows the game at this level too. I d give the younger lads to bed in more, get to the pace of things, get a bit of confidence and form - hopefully in a winning side.

Maybe your right.Im just never comfortable when Mayo are ahead in a game i always feel we will give up a goal chance or 2.We cant seem to shut up shop the way other teams can

Farrandeelin

I don't know moysider, when the fixtures were made initially, I had this down as one would win. However, Kerry won the last two games, they played Donegal at their own game and won. Then again, if we can win the midfield battle it'll be a springboard. And by midfield, I mean all the individual battles out between the two 45s. I haven't seen Kerry yet this year so I'm in no way able to comment on them, but I would hope that our middle sector can gain the upper hand.

I also don't see the point of AOS in the edge of the square. I think he should be put at his best position at midfield. Who slots in at full forward is another discussion, but I don't think Mayo are getting the best out of him in there. He was poor against Donegal I thought. Unfortunately he wasn't long enough on to see if the Donegal game was a blip or not.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayo.mick

The black jerseys we'll be wearing according to twitter there earlier. Didn't they make their debut down in Killarney last year if I'm right? I'll have to check back.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Ciarrai_thuaidh

I really, really hope this is very different from last Sunday in Tralee..but it might be a similar type of affair I've a feeling to be honest.

I don't know how it keeps happening but as with quite a few recent encounters in Castlebar, this might be another game that Fitzmaurice tries a few lads out in. Pressure off a lot for us thankfully, but will still be looking for a good performance and will need one to be in contention as Mayo, despite only having 2 points, have been going well enough post-Cork.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

rosnarun

Brendan devenny was in no doubt where the blame lay last week , kerry came out to kick the poor wee boys from the hills and sure what could they do but  protect themselves was the gist of it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: rosnarun on March 10, 2016, 10:04:01 AM
Brendan devenny was in no doubt where the blame lay last week , kerry came out to kick the poor wee boys from the hills and sure what could they do but  protect themselves was the gist of it

A very good player was Brendan..but not the sharpest tool in the box to be fair.

Kerry really needed to win the game, but to be fair when things got hot an heavy, were more than happy to get stuck in. Donegal were clearly trying to lay down some kind of marker, which in a way they did, but their non-stop fouling was awful indisciplined. McGee committed a filthy act, Donaghy and Mahony both had dangerous high tackles that could have been red, many players spent the entire game acting the bollox..it was a real slugfest.
This Sunday, Mayo are focused on getting 2 points and Kerry will be looking to push on aswell, so while I think it will be a tough game, it shouldn't be anything as bad as last Sunday.
I've been impressed with Mayo's reaction to the Cork debacle. Consiering the players missing, performances like the one in Ballybofey are fairly good, but it's a metter of getting points on the table now.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

twohands!!!

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2016, 09:19:41 PMI haven't seen Kerry yet this year so I'm in no way able to comment on them, but I would hope that our middle sector can gain the upper hand.

Sheehan and Donaghy are a long way behind Maher and Moran as a midfield pairing imo.

Ignore Sheehan's deadball striking and he is a very ordinary intercounty midfielder in my opinion. Donaghy is far more effective a player in around the square compared to midfield.

Really wouldn't be surprised if Mayo won this sector.

Mayo4Sam

I'd imagine that Donaghy will be in on the square on Sunday, he's done so much damage to us in the past in there
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me