Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: orangeman on August 31, 2015, 12:22:53 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on August 31, 2015, 12:20:44 PM
Does anyone know why Keane got off? Did they miss spell his name or something similar in the match report?

As above. Mayo claimed he hit Murphy a "slap" instead which isn't a "strike".
Is slapping still not striking with the hand? Hard to believe this was the reason he got off.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Nihilist on August 31, 2015, 12:35:30 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 31, 2015, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: Mario on August 31, 2015, 12:24:54 PM
If Tyrone had played like Dublin yesterday there would have been a massive media backlash in the South focusing on their cynical play. I look forward to listening to off the ball to see if Parkinson is as outraged by the Dubs.

Dubs and Mayo you mean.

Anyway, lets hope justice is done and O Connor misses the replay.

So on your rationale out for Mayo go O'Connor
And out for Dublin so should go Cluxton, McMahon, Cooper, O'Sullivan, Connolly,

The only serious and dangerous injury was O Connor on O' Carroll, the others were dangerous but no one got seriously injured, O  Connor put O Carroll in hospital with 10 stiches and could have ended his season if he doesn't play next week and Dubs lose, a dangerous and wild strike back, one match ban.

Cooper very lucky not be shown red as was Lee Keegan and maybe a couple of others but O Connors was wild.

Bord na Mona man

If Tyrone had played like Dublin yesterday there would have been a massive media backlash in the South focusing on their cynical play. I look forward to listening to off the ball to see if Parkinson is as outraged by the Dubs.

Dubs and Mayo you mean.

Yep, the notion that Dublin "go after" Cillian O'Connor is flimsy given that they'd have much more to lose if a full scale fingering pointing and suspension fest broke out.
Dublin will probably confine it to trying to get Connolly off the hook and leave it at that. Though a couple of Dublin guys in work had a good view of it and reckoned Connolly buried Keegan good and proper with a punch and will do well to beat the charge.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 31, 2015, 12:47:09 PM

Dubs and Mayo you mean.

Yep, the notion that Dublin "go after" Cillian O'Connor is flimsy given that they'd have much more to lose if a full scale fingering pointing and suspension fest broke out.
Dublin will probably confine it to trying to get Connolly off the hook and leave it at that. Though a couple of Dublin guys in work had a good view of it and reckoned Connolly buried Keegan good and proper with a punch and will do well to beat the charge.

Connolly was attacked while trying to play the game, dragged to the ground, he then got the better of Keegan, both finally got up and unluckily the linesman see a strike action by Connolly but Keegan was also hitting out, seen it clearly, doesn't come across on the T.V. Two yellows would have sufficed or a red to both, not yellow and red, a terrible error and bias decision from the officials. Connolly got no protection all game, was targeted.

Canalman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2015, 12:04:34 PM
Not sure how the Keane and Connolly incidents are related?
Keane got off so everyone does?

You either enforce the rule properly or not at all. Unfair and illegal to suspend one player and not the other for purported "striking". Keane incident set a precedent which imo means DC will get off.

Oh and if Mayo are aggrieved, then I am sure the mention of Lee Keegan and last years semi finals will appease them. :)

Expect a whole heap of work done on the disciplinary side in the GAA over the winter to clear the mess up.

Erne Man

I suspect both Connolly and O'Connor will be free to play next Saturday, and in many respects it will be natural justice for both. Neither party was the initial aggressor in the incidents in question, and suffered as a result of poor officiating from linesmen and umpires who should be drawing the referees attention to what goes on prior to these cases.
If the lightbulb comes on in HQ about dealing with the type of the off-the-ball stuff yesterday it might be a  rule change at congress on how umpires are selected, and the powers that they have and other officials have - including the fourth official who seems to be nothing more than a match day civil servant.
I wouldn't condone throwing a punch like Connolly did yesterday, but given McQuillan consulted with his linesman who must clearly have seen the punch, it beggars belief how Keegan escaped without a black card for his part in it.

nrico2006

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 31, 2015, 12:51:10 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 31, 2015, 12:47:09 PM

Dubs and Mayo you mean.

Connolly was attacked while trying to play the game, dragged to the ground, he then got the better of Keegan, both finally got up and unluckily the linesman see a strike action by Connolly but Keegan was also hitting out, seen it clearly, doesn't come across on the T.V. Two yellows would have sufficed or a red to both, not yellow and red, a terrible error and bias decision from the officials. Connolly got no protection all game, was targeted.

Exactly my view on the Connolly incident too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Wildweasel74

As i say previously the O`Connor incident wasn't even a  free, Connolly suspension will stand, Coopers has already been dealt with with a  yellow. If McMahon gets off after all his carry on the GAA a mess. Its a pitch your manger didn't want to chase up the broken jaw incident in the Armagh game saying your so concerned with a man getting 10stitches in a accidental collision/

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 31, 2015, 12:46:33 PM
The only serious and dangerous injury was O Connor on O' Carroll, the others were dangerous but no one got seriously injured, O  Connor put O Carroll in hospital with 10 stiches and could have ended his season if he doesn't play next week and Dubs lose, a dangerous and wild strike back, one match ban.
That isn't how it works and nor should it be. I could spit a mouthful of green phlegm in someone's face and there would be zero injury, that should hardly put me on easy street when justice is being dispensed. Acts should be also judged by their intent rather than simply by their outcome.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 31, 2015, 01:05:36 PM
As i say previously the O`Connor incident wasn't even a  free, Connolly suspension will stand, Coopers has already been dealt with with a  yellow. If McMahon gets off after all his carry on the GAA a mess. Its a pitch your manger didn't want to chase up the broken jaw incident in the Armagh game saying your so concerned with a man getting 10stitches in a accidental collision/

Meh, wild strike back. Exactly, Dublin don't cry to the media like the Mayo players and management. Very disappointed in Mayo for doing this. Poor Aiden, that Philly fella is awfully rough isn't he. You ok Aiden, head butt was it, yeah it was there ye know, there wasn't even contact Aidan.

In my opinion O Connors act was wild and dangerous.

Nihilist

Cooper very lucky not be shown red as was Lee Keegan and maybe a couple of others but O Connors was wild.

So McMahons headbutt wasn't serious or dangerous? 

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on August 31, 2015, 01:14:17 PM

So McMahons headbutt wasn't serious or dangerous?

Let ye have sense and not be heedin his bullshit ;D

north down

Don't see much of an outcry in the Irish Times or Examiner today asking managers for apologies or players heads on plates like they did for Tyrone's young McCann. No demands either for players to be suspended. Whatever happened to bringing the game into disrepute? Ah I must have been dreaming over the last few weeks - Double standards or what👍

Throw ball

I do not see how the extent of an injury can determine if a ban should be received or not. I do not think O'Connor should get suspended - just as i think the Derry player should not have been sent off against Down. It may not be PC but in many respects if a player is acting the prat - like ROC or Keegan - i can understand why his opponent may react. If ROC and Keegan had have played within the rules themselves they would not have got caught - although it is 50:50 if O'Connor meant it or not.

For me the two incidents that deserve greater ridicule are the Cooper and McMahon incidents.

INDIANA

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 31, 2015, 01:05:36 PM

Connolly will get off.