AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

muppet

Quote from: blanketattack on August 20, 2015, 12:27:00 AM
Crap decision. It was a punch to the face, deserved a red card. Just because Murphy didn't hit the deck doesn't mean it was a lesser offense. These sort of decisions only encourage diving. I hope it backfires like it did last year when Keegan had a stinker in the replay and Mayo lost. Mayo doing this is as bad as McCann's diving.

;D ;D ;D

Quote from: blanketattack on December 13, 2006, 03:49:37 PM
Quote from: The Claw on December 13, 2006, 02:39:19 PM
Greatest skill in football

Being able to give your man a belt without being spotted by the umpires, linesmen or ref..
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

Any word on why the red card was rescinded?

muppet

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 20, 2015, 12:58:30 AM

Because the hurling committee were on tonight.
MWWSI 2017

blanketattack

The ref wrote "OK" in his report in the section marked "For official use only, do not write below this line."

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: blanketattack on August 20, 2015, 01:07:30 AM

The ref wrote "OK" in his report in the section marked "For official use only, do not write below this line."
;D

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: Rodman on August 19, 2015, 11:46:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 19, 2015, 10:38:36 PM
Quote from: bucko on August 19, 2015, 10:34:21 PM
Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to yellow by the CHC this evening, he's now available for selection for the semi.

Excellent news-right decision

Thats a joke. So a yellow card now for punching someone in the face.

The joke was that there was a card of any description. Silly stuff but a Ref looking to be fussy and put us in our place like we ve got used to referees doing down the years.

No more than the Keegan card last year in a crucial game (and a call that decided that semi ultimately) where we got another red card because of Donacha Walsh's well rehearsed dancing hissy fit to make a mountain out of a molehill. The same player (Walsh) is still getting away with cheap borderline shite himself. Murphy ( a top player imo) played on the edge all year and got a ridiculous yellow v a dramatic reaction from Sice. But he was ott at end of Mayo game. Keane was right to get him out of his face and used minimum contact in the circumstances. If there was a card going there Murphy should have got it. Keane or Mayo in general were not looking for hassle at that stage. Yet another ref. ( very good rep. it has to be said)  that I would not trust referring an important game of ours.

Keegans red was the correct decision too, outrageous that either were overruled - striking or attempting to strike your opponent is a red card as far as I'm aware
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

moysider

Like it shouldn't have been given in the first place ::) Obviously!

Straight away it was going to be turned over.

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 20, 2015, 01:34:23 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: Rodman on August 19, 2015, 11:46:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 19, 2015, 10:38:36 PM
Quote from: bucko on August 19, 2015, 10:34:21 PM
Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to yellow by the CHC this evening, he's now available for selection for the semi.

Excellent news-right decision

Thats a joke. So a yellow card now for punching someone in the face.

The joke was that there was a card of any description. Silly stuff but a Ref looking to be fussy and put us in our place like we ve got used to referees doing down the years.

No more than the Keegan card last year in a crucial game (and a call that decided that semi ultimately) where we got another red card because of Donacha Walsh's well rehearsed dancing hissy fit to make a mountain out of a molehill. The same player (Walsh) is still getting away with cheap borderline shite himself. Murphy ( a top player imo) played on the edge all year and got a ridiculous yellow v a dramatic reaction from Sice. But he was ott at end of Mayo game. Keane was right to get him out of his face and used minimum contact in the circumstances. If there was a card going there Murphy should have got it. Keane or Mayo in general were not looking for hassle at that stage. Yet another ref. ( very good rep. it has to be said)  that I would not trust referring an important game of ours.

Keegans red was the correct decision too, outrageous that either were overruled - striking or attempting to strike your opponent is a red card as far as I'm aware

Hmmmm. I m disagreeing with you more and more it seems.

Yeah, Mayo have to stop reacting to shite and keep their discipline and Keegan and Keane and the rest will have to avoid this. To be a proper cynical player you do what a choir boy like Donnacha Walsh does. Wishy washy stuff but constant fouling but stays under the radar of the ref. (a brilliant skill set in itself). Then add a Richie McCaw ability to influence the ref to give decisions against the opposition and you have a very important player. Head down when you are being cynical. In the face of he ref when you want the opposition done. Not rocket science. Helps if you can dance a jig in annoyance to convince a ref.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 01:37:27 AM

You do know striking an opponent is a red card offence, right? 

ballinaman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 20, 2015, 02:07:10 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 01:37:27 AM

You do know striking an opponent is a red card offence, right?
Ahra sure it was only a little slapeen. Wouldn't even call it a dig.

macdanger2

Very lucky to get off, it was a slap to the face and there's no allowances made for provocation or the force of the strike and so by the letter of the law is a red card:

"Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand, knee or head"

However, seeing as we're talking about the letter of the law, any strike (not only to the face / head) is a red card so a lot of the punches to the chest that you generally see in schmozzles are technically red card offences

highorlow

QuoteVery lucky to get off, it was a slap to the face and there's no allowances made for provocation or the force of the strike and so by the letter of the law is a red card:

It is and he got a red card.

Don't no anything about the banning system / rules though. I'd imagine the committee are allowed to use common sense though.

In saying that if a red card = automatic suspension, then the referee's are getting undermined by these decisions.

Has anyone a link to the suspension rules in operation?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

westbound

Regardless of whether the decision on keane last not was correct or incorrect (I think it was incorrect to rescind it), there are way too many decisions being overturned by committee. It completely undermines the referees. It just heaps more pressure on referees knowing that some virtually anonymous committee members can at the stroke of a pen completely undermine any decisions made on the field of play by the ref.

I have no problem at all with clear and obvious errors being appealed and cards being rescinded but the association should be supporting referees in the close calls insofar as possible.

The type of clear/obvious error I'm talking about are cases of mistaken identity or an obvious case of where the offence was not committed, e.g. sent off for strike but no strike took place (e.g. hughes Vs tyrone).

The closer calls e.g. Keane, & tyrone's meyler, the referee's call should be backed.

The way things are going, games will be decided in the committee rooms in the future rather than on the field of play.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that the standard of referreeing shouldn't be improved, but we have to back referee's in the tough/close calls. IMO this will lead to more/better people taking up refereeing!

highorlow

QuoteThese sort of decisions only encourage diving. I hope it backfires like it did last year when Keegan had a stinker in the replay and Mayo lost. Mayo doing this is as bad as McCann's diving.

Ah come off it. We are just using the same system that is in place for every other team.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

macdanger2

Quote from: westbound on August 20, 2015, 09:09:31 AM
The closer calls e.g. Keane, & tyrone's meyler, the referee's call should be backed.

The way things are going, games will be decided in the committee rooms in the future rather than on the field of play.

I'd agree with that, unless the ref has made an clear error, his decision should remain intact

That said, delighted that Keane is available to play, not sure he's really suitable for any of the Dublin forwards but handy to have him available all the same.

As an aside, why did it take a week and a half to have these hearings? It's probably ok from a Mayo point of view but hardly ideal for Tyrone to be waiting on McCann's appeal until a few days before the match