Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

Tubberman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2015, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2015, 10:59:58 AM
I see the Dublin Defending-the-Indefensible Force is out again. Trying to convince supporters of a county of their sins or inherent advantages here is like shouting at a brick wall sometimes.

Croke Park is a big advantage to Dublin, particularly in the AI series where crowds swell. There is no more that needs to be said on that one.

It's interesting though that this argument always seems to come from counties whose teams underachieve. You don't ever hear it from the likes of Kerry or Meath or Tyrone or Armagh.

It didn't do Roscommon's cause much good to have Dublin out of Croke Park for the 2014 U21 Final.

Meath and Armagh aren't under-achievers?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

I see the Dublin Defending-the-Indefensible Force is out again. Trying to convince supporters of a county of their sins or inherent advantages here is like shouting at a brick wall sometimes.

Croke Park is a big advantage to Dublin, particularly in the AI series where crowds swell. There is no more that needs to be said on that one.

Again, nonsense. The crowd at the Dublin Mayo game will be close enough to 50/50, certainly nothing like the 90/10 that you would get at A Man U game or home international rugby game.

All the players, management and fans want this game to be in CP. Mayo's routine for a big game in CP is down to a tee so they will be as comfortable on the day as the Dub players.

There's never a game where absolutely everything is 50/50 for both sides so to complain about minor differences in things is a nonsense.

Syferus

It's interesting though that this argument always seems to come from counties whose teams underachieve. You don't ever hear it from the likes of Kerry or Meath or Tyrone or Armagh.

It didn't do Roscommon's cause much good to have Dublin out of Croke Park for the 2014 U21 Final.

Roscommon if anything far overachieves for a county with 64k so I don't know what your play-the-man comment is about there.

In fairness on most things here Dublin posters have perspective and are decent sorts but Croke Park is like this big black spot in your vision. It is what it is - Dublin's actual home ground, de facto or otherwise. It is a very significant advantage whatever way you look at it.

Ballaghman

Christ this is getting farcical. Is Croke Park technically a home game for Dublin, of course it is. Should it affect any of the top teams (of which Mayo are obviously one) and stop them from winning? No.
If you asked any of the Mayo players where they would want this game played, they would to a man say Croke Park. It's where they play their best football and any of the lads I know love playing the dubs in a full CP.
I know some posters are making reasonable points about it being a home game for the dubs and all that but it's the way it has always been and what other way would you have it anyway? Back to feckin Limerick?  These boys long for playing in CP and now some lads are suggesting playing it somewhere else. FFS, there's a game to be won. Can we move on from this this cribbing about a venue the lads love playing in and get back to winding each other up about football matters at least!

Zulu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 17, 2015, 11:35:00 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2015, 10:47:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 17, 2015, 01:46:04 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 17, 2015, 01:11:43 AM
Can someone please explain why Dublin's 'home advantage' is such a massive factor and how it is actually going to affect the final score? Where else are they supposed to hold it like? All Ireland Semi Finals are meant for Croker, no matter whos playing (especially when it will most likely sell out)

Is Thomond Park not an advantage for Muster against top teams?

Is the Aviva more likely to get a Leinster win v likes of Clermont than playing in France.

Look at any premiership team's points at home in a season in comparison to away points?

Where are the All Blacks more likely to beat SA (when they are on a par) Christchurch or Jo'burg?

Ffs if Manchester United could only play every European game in Old Trafford they would have won a bit more too.

It's a no-brainer.

The sickening thing is that we were sent to Limerick for a non-Dublin game. Limerick was a home game de facto for Kerry with a rig referee to boot.

That's nonsense in fairness. I hope some Mayo fans are just doing a bit of friendly ribbing and don't actually believe any of that. Mayo have one of country's best teams and should embrace the fact you'll be involved in probably the best sporting occasion in Ireland this year. The result will simply come down to who performs on the day.

Aghh!! Zulu great poster but cliche 101, up there with the hungriest team team etc.. What if both teams perform?

CP is Dublin's home ground, it is an advantage, a small margin but small margins add up. Physically it's an advantage to sleep in your own bed. Mentally routine is everything, familiarity eases stress, from your own bed, to your own dressing room, your routine at home never changes.  Even tactically, whether it's something as simple as playing into the hill, familiarity with how the wind or rain affects play in CP, even kicking the ball out and judging the width against the perception that the stands make the pitch look wider. It a game that could be tight it's the small margins that make the difference.

Statistically I would love to see Dublin's win/loss record in CP since they moved there full-time 4/5 years ago compared to the previous 5 years. 2 AI and 3 NFL titles won indicate they don't lose many....

Apologies for the cliche Dinny  :D.

However, CP is not like Old Trafford is for Man U and Mayo would be a team nearly as familiar with CP on big days as it is for Dublin. It probably is a minor positive for Dublin but as I said in a previous post there is no game where everything is the same for both teams.

I don't disagree that sleeping in your own bed (and the like) can be an advantage but not necessarily so for all players. Some no doubt like to get away from home and get within the group dynamic in a hotel. I wonder will Mayo meet up with Dublin based players on the morning of the game or will they make them leave their own homes and join the team in a hotel?

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2015, 11:39:43 AM

Roscommon if anything far overachieves for a county with 64k so I don't know what your play-the-man comment is about there.

In fairness on most things here Dublin posters have perspective and are decent sorts but Croke Park is like this big black spot in your vision. It is what it is - Dublin's actual home ground, de facto or otherwise. It is a very significant advantage whatever way you look at it.

In that under 21 final where the mighty Rossies got their asses handed to them after about 15 minutes was clearly down to the playere having the wrong studs in. I believe that is the official line for all loses suffered, that and injuries to their galacticos picked up in training that is at a different level to any match because of the talent involved.

Tubberman

Anyway, it seems Mickey Conroy injured his shoulder playing for Davitt's over the weekend - rumours vary from dislocation to minor injury.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 17, 2015, 11:48:36 AM
Anyway, it seems Mickey Conroy injured his shoulder playing for Davitt's over the weekend - rumours vary from dislocation to minor injury.

What was he playing a club game for, was it own of the 'starred' games Tubberman?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 17, 2015, 11:35:00 AM

Statistically I would love to see Dublin's win/loss record in CP since they moved there full-time 4/5 years ago compared to the previous 5 years. 2 AI and 3 NFL titles won indicate they don't lose many....

Would you lads not have the generosity to concede that Dublin's recent success is due simply to the fact that they've had a great team.

You lads are going to have to make up your minds - is this Dublin team successful because of the "millions being poured in by the GAA" or because "they play at home". Can you not just accept that the answer lies in the fact that for the past few years Dublin have had an exceptional team.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Mayo4Sam

I'm not sure who came up with the line that down to a man the mayo team would choose to have this game in Croke park, without doubt if Mayo had a choice it would be in McHale Park, they don't.
The advantage of sleeping in ur own bed with your own routine can't be overstated. Just because mayo are used to it at this stage doesn't mean it's te same as playing at home.

Just because Dublin lose there doesn't invalid the argument, it just means these teams overcame the extra disadvantage. Likewise Dublin haven't been successful solely because they play at home but it helps! And it's not a toss up between cash and home advantage it can be both!

As for CP not being Dublins home ground, similar to Tyrone not being a cynical team in terms of furthest from the truth
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 17, 2015, 11:53:58 AM

What was he playing a club game for, was it own of the 'starred' games Tubberman?

Senior League 1A against Ballintubber. I presume H&C let him play to give him game time (are they allowed choose which players can play club?), Ballintubber were without county players

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2015, 11:39:43 AM

I accept - it was a cheap shot.  :-[
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Ballaghman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 17, 2015, 12:03:25 PM
I'm not sure who came up with the line that down to a man the mayo team would choose to have this game in Croke park, without doubt if Mayo had a choice it would be in McHale Park, they don't.
The advantage of sleeping in ur own bed with your own routine can't be overstated. Just because mayo are used to it at this stage doesn't mean it's te same as playing at home.

Just because Dublin lose there doesn't invalid the argument, it just means these teams overcame the extra disadvantage. Likewise Dublin haven't been successful solely because they play at home but it helps! And it's not a toss up between cash and home advantage it can be both!

As for CP not being Dublins home ground, similar to Tyrone not being a cynical team in terms of furthest from the truth

I think it's me your quoting and I would disagree with you, Mayo lads prefer playing in Croke park at this time of year. Anyway, control the controllables lads, this is all pointless nonsense.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 17, 2015, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 17, 2015, 11:53:58 AM

Senior League 1A against Ballintubber. I presume H&C let him play to give him game time (are they allowed choose which players can play club?), Ballintubber were without county players

I don't know if they can pick and choose, wouldn't seem fair if they can. Makes sense that he was encouraged to play though, he needed the game time as you say. Unfortunate for the poor fella if it's a bad injury, he's not having much luck on the injury front lately

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2015, 10:47:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 17, 2015, 01:46:04 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 17, 2015, 01:11:43 AM
Can someone please explain why Dublin's 'home advantage' is such a massive factor and how it is actually going to affect the final score? Where else are they supposed to hold it like? All Ireland Semi Finals are meant for Croker, no matter whos playing (especially when it will most likely sell out)

Is Thomond Park not an advantage for Muster against top teams?

Is the Aviva more likely to get a Leinster win v likes of Clermont than playing in France.

Look at any premiership team's points at home in a season in comparison to away points?

Where are the All Blacks more likely to beat SA (when they are on a par) Christchurch or Jo'burg?

Ffs if Manchester United could only play every European game in Old Trafford they would have won a bit more too.

It's a no-brainer.

The sickening thing is that we were sent to Limerick for a non-Dublin game. Limerick was a home game de facto for Kerry with a rig referee to boot.

That's nonsense in fairness. I hope some Mayo fans are just doing a bit of friendly ribbing and don't actually believe any of that. Mayo have one of country's best teams and should embrace the fact you'll be involved in probably the best sporting occasion in Ireland this year. The result will simply come down to who performs on the day.

Exactly
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!