Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2015, 01:35:17 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 16, 2015, 01:21:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2015, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 16, 2015, 08:52:14 AM
It has the 'makings' of a good game. Then again, so did the league game. I must be one of the few Mayo fans who think we will lose.

P.S. moy, where were Cairde tickets for the Donegal game? I'm using bring a friend, and am in Upper Cusack for this game.

Have to say i agree with you Farr. I do think Dublin will win. Home venue is a huge advantage and Dublin won't be as complacent as they were in last years AI semi verses Donegal. Most Mayo people are reading to much into our semi final performance against Donegal. It must be remembered that Donegal went 28 minutes against an ordinary Galway side without scoring. Donegal have had a hard road with games, injuries and don't have a big squad to deal with it. Don't get me wrong Donegal are a decent side. Just met a team different to the team that Tyrone met in the first round of the Ulster Championship (similar to 2013 gig).

Home advantage- Cp is a neutral venue

The Reeks on Croagh Patrick was cancelled this year. The stars are aligning in Mayo's favour
Arra, is it f**k! ;D
(With due acknowledgements to Michael Bailey.)
What about the Hill and the long-standing tradition that the Dubs  had exclusive rights to use that end for their warm-up.
Technically, that's not the way it's supposed to be any more but in practice it still is.

Far better crack when other fans are on the Hill to be honest. The Hill 16 only idea is only promoted by a small minority most of whom have no club affiliation and still think Ciaran Whelan plays for Dublin

From the Bunker

It has the 'makings' of a good game. Then again, so did the league game. I must be one of the few Mayo fans who think we will lose.

P.S. moy, where were Cairde tickets for the Donegal game? I'm using bring a friend, and am in Upper Cusack for this game.

Have to say i agree with you Farr. I do think Dublin will win. Home venue is a huge advantage and Dublin won't be as complacent as they were in last years AI semi verses Donegal. Most Mayo people are reading to much into our semi final performance against Donegal. It must be remembered that Donegal went 28 minutes against an ordinary Galway side without scoring. Donegal have had a hard road with games, injuries and don't have a big squad to deal with it. Don't get me wrong Donegal are a decent side. Just met a team different to the team that Tyrone met in the first round of the Ulster Championship (similar to 2013 gig).

The Reeks on Croagh Patrick was cancelled this year. The stars are aligning in Mayo's favour

If Croke Park is a neutral venue, Where do Dublin play their home games in the League and Championship? Look, I want to play us to play there. And playing there against the Dubs is a bonus. But for any Dub to call this a neutral venue they need to get the Blinkers off.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on August 16, 2015, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2015, 01:35:17 PM

Arra, is it f**k! ;D
(With due acknowledgements to Michael Bailey.)
What about the Hill and the long-standing tradition that the Dubs  had exclusive rights to use that end for their warm-up.
Technically, that's not the way it's supposed to be any more but in practice it still is.

Far better crack when other fans are on the Hill to be honest. The Hill 16 only idea is only promoted by a small minority most of whom have no club affiliation and still think Ciaran Whelan plays for Dublin

Pity your Dublin team of '84 weren't of a similar mindset, instead of (successfully) muscling our poor lads out of it during the warm-up at the Hill 16 end (before we knew how to win big games of course ;) ). :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2015, 01:55:51 PM

If Croke Park is a neutral venue, Where do Dublin play their home games in the League and Championship? Look, I want to play us to play there. And playing there against the Dubs is a bonus. But for any Dub to call this a neutral venue they need to get the Blinkers off.

The GAA dictate the venue. You need to take your angst up with them. Dublin posters have explained this before- we'd prefer to play our league games and leinster championship games elsewhere but we aren't allowed

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on August 16, 2015, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2015, 01:55:51 PM

The GAA dictate the venue. You need to take your angst up with them. Dublin posters have explained this before- we'd prefer to play our league games and leinster championship games elsewhere but we aren't allowed

I have no argument with Dublin playing their games in Croker for the league. My only problem is them getting earlier round games in the Leinster Championship. I have no problem with Leinster final, Quarter final, semi final and final being in Croker. That's where they should be played. I know Dublin have no say in this and in fairness they are not going to protest against such an advantage. Look it is an advantage. A small one against a team with a bit more Croke park experience like Mayo, but still an advantage. So please don't say it's not a home game. Because it is, and that's just the way things are set up! It's not a dig at Dublin, just stating the obvious.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2015, 04:52:02 PM

I have no argument with Dublin playing their games in Croker for the league. My only problem is them getting earlier round games in the Leinster Championship. I have no problem with Leinster final, Quarter final, semi final and final being in Croker. That's where they should be played. I know Dublin have no say in this and in fairness they are not going to protest against such an advantage. Look it is an advantage. A small one against a team with a bit more Croke park experience like Mayo, but still an advantage. So please don't say it's not a home game. Because it is, and that's just the way things are set up! It's not a dig at Dublin, just stating the obvious.

Don't let's raise that old chestnut again. Dublin have been winning All Irelands for well over a century and I would guess that most of their games over that period were played outside Dublin. For instance Dublin were Leinster champions between 1974 and 1979 and most of their games were played outside Dublin so there is absolutely no evidence to suggest Dublin's opponents would be any more successful if they played the Dubs out of Croker.

It seems to me that raising the argument that Dublin have some sort of unfair advantage playing in Croker is simply making excuses in advance for what might happen in the game. It's not a great frame of mind to have going into a game with the Mighty Dubs.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 16, 2015, 12:36:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 16, 2015, 11:52:35 AM

Maybe it should be moved to Limerick.

Why move it to Limerick? Sure we voiced our objections at an AI semi final being played there. I have no problem with Croke Park as a venue! There is no better venue for a sell out AI semi final. And if Mayo are good enough they should over come this slight disadvantage. Wonder how ye're crowd would like to play a replay in Limerick should ye draw with Kerry in the Semi?

Well make your mind up! Mayo threw their toys out of the pram last year about having to play in Limerick and now you're saying that playing in Croke Park is an advantage to Dublin. It's an advantage to Mayo too, their style of football is much more suited to Croke Park where the pitch plays much quicker and space seems to be easier to find.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2015, 08:24:42 PM

Don't let's raise that old chestnut again. Dublin have been winning All Irelands for well over a century and I would guess that most of their games over that period were played outside Dublin. For instance Dublin were Leinster champions between 1974 and 1979 and most of their games were played outside Dublin so there is absolutely no evidence to suggest Dublin's opponents would be any more successful if they played the Dubs out of Croker.

It seems to me that raising the argument that Dublin have some sort of unfair advantage playing in Croker is simply making excuses in advance for what might happen in the game. It's not a great frame of mind to have going into a game with the Mighty Dubs.

Look you have your mind made up that playing at home offers no advantage. Fair enough! As I said earlier, Leinster Boards and the GAA have set ye up that way and ye would be fools to object to such an arrangement. Look, in Mayo case the advantage will be smaller. But there is an advantage. When Dublin were an average side in the early 2000's this advantage did not matter because their limits could not take advantage of it. Presently because they are a top side this advantage is noticeable.

moysider

Nonsense of the highest order. There is a difference between reasons and excuses as I ve pointed out before.
In spite of the bravado that some other Mayo posters might present the 'home' advantage for the Dubs is massive. You only have to look at other comparable sports to see the advantage. In European rugby Munster and Leinster would be looking for a home game for the knockout stages. Did either win the thing by going away for quarters and semis? It's a huge advantage and a bridge too far because we are not that much better than Dublin to make that up.

The other thing is the shafting we usually get at this stage. I dunno who the ref will be but I suspect he ll be a homer as bad as Cormac Reilly was last year. In 06 we were the better side and managed to prevail in spite of Whelan taking McGarrity out from 'the neck down' and dodging around with blood subs after. I have no faith in the set up tbh.

Rossfan

Hate to ruin it for you Moy ..,but isn't Ref good oul Dublin Joe himself.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: moysider on August 16, 2015, 11:48:58 PM

Nonsense of the highest order. There is a difference between reasons and excuses as I ve pointed out before.
In spite of the bravado that some other Mayo posters might present the 'home' advantage for the Dubs is massive. You only have to look at other comparable sports to see the advantage. In European rugby Munster and Leinster would be looking for a home game for the knockout stages. Did either win the thing by going away for quarters and semis? It's a huge advantage and a bridge too far because we are not that much better than Dublin to make that up.

The other thing is the shafting we usually get at this stage. I dunno who the ref will be but I suspect he ll be a homer as bad as Cormac Reilly was last year. In 06 we were the better side and managed to prevail in spite of Whelan taking McGarrity out from 'the neck down' and dodging around with blood subs after. I have no faith in the set up tbh.

Now that's really making excuses in advance.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

Joe Mc Quillan gave you 50% more frees then he gave us in the 2013 final and you still couldn't beat us. Statistics as always cut through the bullshit. It's not our fault your management couldn't see we only had 13 players for the last 10 minutes.......

Why don't you suck it up and stop making excuses for yourself. You're either good enough to beat us or you're not. I'll be the first to congratulate you if you do beat us but let's leave the excuses aside.

Joe Mc Quillan gave you 50% more frees then he gave us in the 2013 final and you still couldn't beat us.  It's not our fault your management couldn't see we only had 13 players for the last 10 minutes.......

You're either good enough to beat us or you're not. I'll be the first to congratulate you if you do beat us but let's leave the excuses aside.

Mayo have been making excuses for 50 years now.

moysider

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2015, 12:10:24 AM

Now that's really making excuses in advance.

That statement alone suggests that you expect to win! Not so sure you would be as bullish if it were not for the obvious advantages that ye are going to have. Dublin in CP is like a spider in charge of its web. Ffs pillar made taking ownership of the place a motivational tool for the team. It's the most lopsided advantage in any serious sport I know. If Ireland played all games only in the Aviva or England played all their games in Twickenham, it would be an advantage, no? Or Manchester United play all games at home! A joke!  But hey, enjoy the wins. Ye're codding yerselves that it's not a massive advantage.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2015, 12:19:11 AM

Joe Mc Quillan gave you 50% more frees then he gave us in the 2013 final and you still couldn't beat us. Statistics as always cut through the bullshit. It's not our fault your management couldn't see we only had 13 players for the last 10 minutes.......

Why don't you suck it up and stop making excuses for yourself. You're either good enough to beat us or you're not. I'll be the first to congratulate you if you do beat us but let's leave the excuses aside.

Joe Mc Quillan gave you 50% more frees then he gave us in the 2013 final and you still couldn't beat us.  It's not our fault your management couldn't see we only had 13 players for the last 10 minutes.......

You're either good enough to beat us or you're not. I'll be the first to congratulate you if you do beat us but let's leave the excuses aside.

Mayo have been making excuses for 50 years now.

Sheesh. Don t give me the frees stats! Been there. Joe and his mates know how to get a result.
50% more frees because ye fouled 50% more perhaps?
As well as that most 'good' refs know exactly when and where to give frees ::) a free close to your own goal when you want to counter fast is an advantage to the opposition. A few softies for likes of Bernard or Gooch close to opposition goal is what a 'good ref is talking about. I could write a book about it, and not just talking about CP football. Happens every level and with kids too unfortunately. Very easy to rig a game as Cormac Reilly showed last year in Limerick.

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on August 17, 2015, 12:03:50 AM
Hate to ruin it for you Moy ..,but isn't Ref good oul Dublin Joe himself.

He's as 'good' as anybody else ::) Expect him to give us a load of frees in our own half of the pitch so the 'statisticians' can spin it that he really favoured us.