Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

If I was still running the spreads I would make mayo favorites by 4.5.

Who would you pick with That spread lads?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2015, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 01, 2015, 08:49:18 PM
Too hard to call, Donegal at full strength i fancy them, McGee will reduce O`Shea influence but will not nullify him, question is where will the other Mayo scored come from?With a few out and Murphy playing too far out Mayo could take them

Is Cillian injured?

Maybe they plan for him to be, ala Johnny Doyle in 2011?

oakleafgael

I hope Donegal stuff Mayo after having to sit through an hour of officiating from Liam Devenney this afternoon, it would be scant retribution.

From the Bunker

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 01, 2015, 09:42:15 PM
I hope Donegal stuff Mayo after having to sit through an hour of officiating from Liam Devenney this afternoon, it would be scant retribution.

Good to see there is legitimate reasoning behind your wishes!  :D

Aaron Boone

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2015, 09:17:40 PM
McGee had serious trouble when Comer got good ball put into him today. If the service to AOS is good even the best FB in Ireland (and Neil McGee is in my book) will find it hard to contain him. The issue is Donegal may be able to effectively slow the ball out the field and let the support come back to sit in front of McGee.

You'd have to fancy Mayo even with the gloss Donegal put on the end of the Glaway game. Will be decided by Murphy v Mayo's FB line and AOS v Donegal's FB line in my opinion.

Aidan will be crowded out and bottled up. There is no way McGee will be left to cope on his own. On the other hand Murphy could find himself one on one again. The point was made today that Murphy spends more time at ff against likes of Galway and Mayo because he gets space against these defences. In Ulster he has more chance influencing the game from deep because he'd be wasted inside against massed defence.

From a Mayo point of view it was maddening to hear McGuinness being 100% that Mayo will give up goal chances again the next day and Donegal will spend the week preparing for a non-blanket. No doubt about it they will be going after goals again and if they get them we re goosed.
The 2012 final was so well rehearsed because Donegal knew exactly what we would do. I wouldn t be surprised if there was a repeat.
Our improved scramble defence still not good enough for Murphy, McBrearty and a rejuvenated (it seems) McFadden. Not to mention the deep runs from Ryan McHugh and McGlynn. McGlynn had a savage game against us in the league e.g.

J70

Honestly, I am hoping we manage to stay in the game for 55 mins and then anything can happen.  One thing we cannot afford is to give Mayo a six point lead five minutes in like two years ago. And of course,  Mayo are coming in well rested, while we've had five mostly tough matches and one week to prepare.  It will be a seriously impressive feat if we manage to pull this off. I give us a 30/70 chance.

moysider

Quote from: J70 on August 01, 2015, 10:54:39 PM
Honestly, I am hoping we manage to stay in the game for 55 mins and then anything can happen.  One thing we cannot afford is to give Mayo a six point lead five minutes in like two years ago. And of course,  Mayo are coming in well rested, while we've had five mostly tough matches and one week to prepare.  It will be a seriously impressive feat if we manage to pull this off. I give us a 30/70 chance.

Don t be silly J70. I thought ye looked jaded in Ulster final but ye were in rude good health today. It should also be remembered that ye only lost to Monaghan after kicking some very poor wides.
Donegal will get goal chances and the game will be decided by them taking them or not. If we concede 2/3 goals it will be impossible to win no matter how much ball we get.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2015, 10:26:45 PM
McGee had serious trouble when Comer got good ball put into him today. If the service to AOS is good even the best FB in Ireland (and Neil McGee is in my book) will find it hard to contain him. The issue is Donegal may be able to effectively slow the ball out the field and let the support come back to sit in front of McGee.

You'd have to fancy Mayo even with the gloss Donegal put on the end of the Glaway game. Will be decided by Murphy v Mayo's FB line and AOS v Donegal's FB line in my opinion.

Aidan will be crowded out and bottled up. There is no way McGee will be left to cope on his own. On the other hand Murphy could find himself one on one again. The point was made today that Murphy spends more time at ff against likes of Galway and Mayo because he gets space against these defences. In Ulster he has more chance influencing the game from deep because he'd be wasted inside against massed defence.

From a Mayo point of view it was maddening to hear McGuinness being 100% that Mayo will give up goal chances again the next day and Donegal will spend the week preparing for a non-blanket. No doubt about it they will be going after goals again and if they get them we re goosed.
The 2012 final was so well rehearsed because Donegal knew exactly what we would do. I wouldn t be surprised if there was a repeat.
Our improved scramble defence still not good enough for Murphy, McBrearty and a rejuvenated (it seems) McFadden. Not to mention the deep runs from Ryan McHugh and McGlynn. McGlynn had a savage game against us in the league e.g.

This is a spluttering Donegal team though, closer to 2013 than 2012 imho. The holes Galway found today were the exact opposite of what this Donegal team have been famed for. That early goal would have been curtains for a team like Galway in 2012, or even 2014. That's the worry with Donegal. Time is catching up with them faster than it is with Mayo. Lord help Mayo if they go man-to-man on Murphy after 2012 and what they saw today, though.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2015, 11:08:32 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2015, 10:26:45 PM

This is a spluttering Donegal team though, closer to 2013 than 2012 imho. The holes Galway found today were the exact opposite of what this Donegal team have been famed for. That early goal would have been curtains for a team like Galway in 2012, or even 2014. That's the worry with Donegal. Time is catching up with them faster than it is with Mayo. Lord help Mayo if they go man-to-man on Murphy after 2012 and what they saw today, though.

McGuinness is convinced we will and he dismissed Canavan's incredulity that Mayo would do that. But how can we do anything else? Can t just change and play a completely different game at this time of the year.
We will have players covering back and stuff but with Murphy and O Sé you need 2 markers as well as scrambling defenders as well.
Not sure how spluttering this Donegal team is tbh. Galway got one half chance at a goal. If Donegal nailed some more of those point chances it would have been a right mess.

Whitnail

I'm sure I heard the commentator say we went 28mins without scoring agin Galway.

We also don't have a 3rd quarter blitz anymore. I'd be surprised if we won but it's possible I guess if we pretend that we're fresh instead of jaded which is what we are .

Mayo will do an early blitz attempt , if it comes off they will win comfortably.

moysider

Quote from: Whitnail on August 01, 2015, 11:27:02 PM
I'm sure I heard the commentator say we went 28mins without scoring agin Galway.

We also don't have a 3rd quarter blitz anymore. I'd be surprised if we won but it's possible I guess if we pretend that we're fresh instead of jaded which is what we are .

Mayo will do an early blitz attempt , if it comes off they will win comfortably.

Donegal one of the best equipped to make sure that doesn t happen.

From the Bunker

With recent history and the early ambushes from both camps, this could be a rather cautious game from both sides. The (unreal) hype behind Donegal after the Armagh game has subsided and I feel there is a weight off their shoulders. I fancy Donegal by three!

macdanger2

We played a massive blanket in the 2nd half of the Mayo Donegal league game, literally 14 men in our own half for most of it. It worked to a certain extent but we missed a couple of chances on the break to kill the game and Donegal were patient enough to work an equalising point to draw. It's pretty much the only time we've played a proper blanket so it will be interesting to see if it was a once off flirtation or will it be brought out if we go a few points up on Saturday

highorlow

[quoteShite full back line and all, I'll be shocked if mayo don't win this by at least 6 points. Better midfield and a beast at 14. Mayo v Dublin, that's the thread that should be started now.][/quote]Shite full back line and all, I'll be shocked if mayo don't win this by at least 6 points. Better midfield and a beast at 14. Mayo v Dublin, that's the thread that should be started now.

I'm not sure your in the real world. Go through the history between the sides. This is a match Donegal will relish. I'm not confident, but remain hopeful.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go