Maigh Eo v Gaillimh, 2pm, 13ú Iúil, Pairc Mhic Eil

Started by macdanger2, June 22, 2014, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Galway were impressive enough in spurts in Sligo led by Walsh but they are vulnerable in a defense that Sligo failed to test properly.

Boyle should be able to shackle Walsh and anyhow the game v Sligo was won at mid-field where Curran was able to lord everything uncontested.

I know this will sound mad for some of our lads on here but I would like to see Sweeney or Dillion in on Hanley. He is too slow on the turn and either of those lads would have the measure of him.

Galway been Galway will now be judged on how good they were the last day (i.e. the SG lads) and not on how poor Sligo were.

Sligo were inept on their own kick-outs (i counted 3 turnovers that led to Galway points) and they had no plan whatsoever going forward and the manager left the midfield area in deficit too long. One wonders what managers are at sometimes? It was obvious after 10 minutes that Sligo should have had their number 13 moving up the field for short kick outs but they kept persisting with pumping the ball down the middle and were beaten 80% of the time.

We should win this game in Castlebar. I'd be worried if it was Salthill though.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: REDCOL on June 23, 2014, 08:33:05 AM
As long as he is the go to man against Knockmore in the Championship and scores 0-5 from play again I will be happy enough.

So long as he's on the losing team that day, I'll be happy enough!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam

I wonder will there be more Rossie posts on here than Mayo/Galway posts

Up Mayo

I'd be very upset if we lost
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo 1/7, Galway 4/1 is the bookies line for this, Mayo rightly are big favourites at home.

DJGaliv

Well, we are finally back in a Connacht final. Mayo rightly favourites.

Galway have learned from last few years. That annihilation last year against Mayo has helped us take a proper look at ourselves. Mulholland has brought in players that mightn't have the technical attributes of a Nicky Joyce, however they are well prepared to win the dirty ball. Lads like Eddie Hoare, Michael Lundy, James Kavanagh and Damien Comer all have a bit more bite to them than last year.

Our midfield looked good against Sligo, but Mayo's midfield are probably the best in the country so it'll be a totally different test. Last year in Pearse stadium we came undone on the breaking ball and short kick outs. I'm not sure if Flynn and O'Curraoin will have the strength or the mobility for the O'Sheas. It'll be an interesting battle, and Hoare or Conroy coming back into the middle for the kick outs and breaking ball will help us out.

It'll be interesting to see whether Mulholland goes for Conroy, Kavanagh and Armstrong to start. Personally I'd like to see Conroy in there. However I haven't seen enough from Armstrong in last few years to warrant inclusion. Two of three in Kavanagh, Lundy and Hoare then. I thought Hoare and Lundy were very good so it'll be a difficult call. I'm not entirely convinced by Bradshaw either. I think he leaves us very open, and his shot and pass selection is questionable.

M Breathnach; D O'Neill, F Hanley, J Moore; G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell, P Varley; F O'Curraoin, T Flynn; M Lundy, S Walsh, E Hoare; M Martin, P Conroy, D Cummins.

Mayo 1/7 to win this win. I'd make the handicap 7 points.

We have nothing to lose so long as we show some fight and can go up to McHale and give Mayo a bit of a rattle. Not a bad position to be in a year on from the darkest day I've known as a Galway supporter.

macdanger2

If Galway are 4/1, the spread will be 4 pts

larryin89

Mayo @ 1/7 is stupid. I would happily lay them at that, in fact I'd lay them at 1/5 , for the simple reason the odds will come down dramatically by ht in runnin.

Mayo will be 8/13 at half time.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on June 23, 2014, 01:59:25 PM
Mayo @ 1/7 is stupid. I would happily lay them at that, in fact I'd lay them at 1/5 , for the simple reason the odds will come down dramatically by ht in runnin.

Mayo will be 8/13 at half time.
1/7 is a bit like the prices Spain were at before their first game.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

If we can stop Mayo from scoring a goal we might get within 4-5 points, that's a big if though.

Not convinced at all by Tierney although the Mayo game will be a stronger test and we'll know more about him after the game. Its a big game for Bradshaw, once again I thought he was very sloppy in possession against Sligo on numerous occasions.

A big game for Martin too, he lacks pace and can be very inconsistent in front of the posts. Eddie Hoare won a fair bit of primary possession and breaking ball but he's a bit limited when in possession, needs to move it on quicker but in all honestly he's a player I've not seen much of so might be a bit quick to judge. I suppose Conroy may well take his position for the next day though. I hope Shane Walsh stays at 11 though, the lad has the ability to be one of the best players in the country inside the next few years.

Were on the way up although still think were hindered by our current manager, I'm very worried our defence will exposed not to the extent of last year but still think we could be beat very comfortably. Sligo in the first half found it far too easy to get scores, the second half we did it make it more difficult for them.

larryin89

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 23, 2014, 02:35:30 PM
If we can stop Mayo from scoring a goal we might get within 4-5 points, that's a big if though.

Not convinced at all by Tierney although the Mayo game will be a stronger test and we'll know more about him after the game. Its a big game for Bradshaw, once again I thought he was very sloppy in possession against Sligo on numerous occasions.

A big game for Martin too, he lacks pace and can be very inconsistent in front of the posts. Eddie Hoare won a fair bit of primary possession and breaking ball but he's a bit limited when in possession, needs to move it on quicker but in all honestly he's a player I've not seen much of so might be a bit quick to judge. I suppose Conroy may well take his position for the next day though. I hope Shane Walsh stays at 11 though, the lad has the ability to be one of the best players in the country inside the next few years.

Were on the way up although still think were hindered by our current manager, I'm very worried our defence will exposed not to the extent of last year but still think we could be beat very comfortably. Sligo in the first half found it far too easy to get scores, the second half we did it make it more difficult for them.

We better not type this one to death or we' ll have nawthin to talk about in duffys the sat night before , mr M C. ( am I right) ?

Am i right
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Galway are indeed as Maroon Manc put it a team on the way up. I think Mayo, based on all the evidence of seeing most of their matches this year are a team on the way down. If Galway's defence organises itself well the next day, they may have the firepower up front to win this game. I think those odds are ridiculous to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 23, 2014, 03:27:38 PM
Galway are indeed as Maroon Manc put it a team on the way up. I think Mayo, based on all the evidence of seeing most of their matches this year are a team on the way down.

I don't think those arrows will cross this year though. Mayo still have an awful lot of experience and physical development in the bank that this Galway team just don't have yet. Especially having to play Mayo up in Castlebar. If Galway are even competitive it would probably hold them in good stead for the next few years coming.

Not sure how they will manage that though. We have never been the best at applying a defensive gameplan but if you don't do that do you just tell them to go out and attack and play it open and risk Mayo waltzing in for a couple of early goals to kill the game.

Syferus

Galway are indeed as Maroon Manc put it a team on the way up. I think Mayo, based on all the evidence of seeing most of their matches this year are a team on the way down. If Galway's defence organises itself well the next day, they may have the firepower up front to win this game. I think those odds are ridiculous to be honest.

Beyond Danny Cummins and Shane Walsh I don't know who of that Galway forward pack would even be making the Mayo rotation. Maybe Conroy if he's fit. I assume Galway will look to the Roscommon and Tyrone games as guides but surely to God Mayo will wise up and eventually adapt too.

seafoid

Galway have the opportunity to learn a lot from Mayo this time around and use it in the future when they'll be a bit better.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU