USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Don't know. Haven't seen a lot to like about Armagh yet. I feel they are a couple of years off being relevant to anyone outside lurgan again.

babarino

Quote from: Schkite on June 17, 2014, 01:31:35 PM

Definitely a few changes anyway. Hopefully Lennon regains fitness although Dick deserves to keep his place.  A couple of changes from the starting half-forward line aswell I'd imagine.

I agree, Dick has played his way back into the starting 15. He's a different type of midfielder to Lennon though. So does Doogan lose out? Where's Darren Hughes? Move him back, bring Kelly into CHB?

Among the forwards there's room for improvement, which we should get. What's the story with Owen Duffy, Latton? Is he fit again? I'd hope McCarron gets a run too.

Sleater

Quote from: babarino on June 17, 2014, 10:59:35 PM

Definitely a few changes anyway. Hopefully Lennon regains fitness although Dick deserves to keep his place.  A couple of changes from the starting half-forward line aswell I'd imagine.

I agree, Dick has played his way back into the starting 15. He's a different type of midfielder to Lennon though. So does Doogan lose out? Where's Darren Hughes? Move him back, bring Kelly into CHB?

Among the forwards there's room for improvement, which we should get. What's the story with Owen Duffy, Latton? Is he fit again? I'd hope McCarron gets a run too.

Eoin Duffy is fit to play , that's for sure. However I seen Duffy play in the senior club championship over a month ago and to be honest he wasn't that impressive. He wasn't at the level that made him an automatic starter (when fit)  for the county last year.

Zip Code

Quote from: Armamike on June 17, 2014, 10:40:18 PM
Monaghan the hot favourites for this. Two divisions higher than Armagh, Ulster champions, and an all round physically strong, fit and well drilled team.  Looked very good in large spells in the league game in Armagh. I'd say there wouldn't be too many Monaghan supporters who would not fancy their chances here.  Hopefully Armagh will be able to take some positives from the game to build on.

Agree, Armagh will do will to keep a challenge going for the full 70 minutes.  Their shooting against Cavan especially in the first half was iffy to say the least.

Bingo

Monaghan may make one or two changes but not wholesale.

Eoin Lennon won't make it, wasn't even togged to play on Sunday even if he was listed in the original 26.

Paudie McKenna give away first ball and never recovered, but he showed in the league final that he can play. He'll be better for last sunday. Same with McGuinness, had a bad start but will be better the next day if selected, not a bad player by any means.

Can't see any changes at the back or midfield.

Finlay might come into the half forward line. I think he was held in reserve incase McManus struggled, if he needed to be replaced we had a big name/player to come in - wouldn't be seen as big a blow to players or the crowd. Finlay was also covering midfield as a replacement as well.

Need to get more from half forward line, so he may look there.

Schkite

Quote from: Sleater on June 18, 2014, 09:15:35 AM
Quote from: babarino on June 17, 2014, 10:59:35 PM

Eoin Duffy is fit to play , that's for sure. However I seen Duffy play in the senior club championship over a month ago and to be honest he wasn't that impressive. He wasn't at the level that made him an automatic starter (when fit)  for the county last year.

That's a pity, hopefully he can get back near that form as he'd provide a much needed scoring option in the half-forward line.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Bingo on June 18, 2014, 10:25:36 AM
Monaghan may make one or two changes but not wholesale.

Eoin Lennon won't make it, wasn't even togged to play on Sunday even if he was listed in the original 26.

Paudie McKenna give away first ball and never recovered, but he showed in the league final that he can play. He'll be better for last sunday. Same with McGuinness, had a bad start but will be better the next day if selected, not a bad player by any means.

Can't see any changes at the back or midfield.

Finlay might come into the half forward line. I think he was held in reserve incase McManus struggled, if he needed to be replaced we had a big name/player to come in - wouldn't be seen as big a blow to players or the crowd. Finlay was also covering midfield as a replacement as well.

Need to get more from half forward line, so he may look there.

Agree with all of that. Armagh will bring the double duvet with them. Finlay required to punch holes in said double duvet..

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 18, 2014, 02:11:47 PM
Agree with all of that. Armagh will bring the double duvet with them. Finlay required to punch holes in said double duvet..

Punching holes is OK, better than lying down in said duvet...................
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: rrhf on June 17, 2014, 10:55:31 PM
Don't know. Haven't seen a lot to like about Armagh yet. I feel they are a couple of years off being relevant to anyone outside lurgan again.

Oi, less of that now

Main Street

Seeing as Oisin McConville got the Monaghan Tyrone game spot on, I'd have to respect the general comments he made about this game, that Armagh have it in them to compete and make a good game of it.
Any hint of complacency by Monaghan will be hit hard.
The league encounter was nice for an almost full strength Monaghan but it will be a lot closer in Clones.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on June 19, 2014, 11:06:47 AM
Seeing as Oisin McConville got the Monaghan Tyrone game spot on, I'd have to respect the general comments he made about this game, that Armagh have it in them to compete and make a good game of it.
Any hint of complacency by Monaghan will be hit hard.
The league encounter was nice for an almost full strength Monaghan but it will be a lot closer in Clones.

The final score of the league game shows that we won well but it could have been very different. We had a great start but who knows what way the momentum would have went if Beggan hadn't saved Clarke's penalty. Even after that they got back to within a point and only fell away after Mallon got sent off.

I'd hope and expect the team won't be in any way complacent for this, Armagh will relish the underdog tag and will want to punish any hint of arrogance.

Main Street

A bit of arrogance is okay, look at the milage Tyrone got from theirs',  but complacency will be punished.

armaghniac

QuoteSeeing as Oisin McConville got the Monaghan Tyrone game spot on, I'd have to respect the general comments he made about this game, that Armagh have it in them to compete and make a good game of it.

Thats's about it, I would have thought. The 2014 Armagh to provide a test, but the more developed Monaghan to win.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2014, 03:02:57 PM
QuoteSeeing as Oisin McConville got the Monaghan Tyrone game spot on, I'd have to respect the general comments he made about this game, that Armagh have it in them to compete and make a good game of it.

Thats's about it, I would have thought. The 2014 Armagh to provide a test, but the more developed Monaghan to win.

Ayh, right..

You boys are quietly confident, be honest..  ???

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 19, 2014, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2014, 03:02:57 PM

Ayh, right..

You boys are quietly confident, be honest..  ???

Why should we be confident, all we beat was Cavan and we'll have suspensions?
In any case who would be confident in public, we'd end up like EC Unique with people laughing at us.  ::)