Near miss!!

Started by Milltown Row2, June 02, 2013, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Was nearly in a bad accident today on way to a match, was travelling towards Sandyknowles on the M2 to meet cousin to head on down to Ahoghill, was doing about 70 up that steep part before Sandyknowles turn off and it was as if the lorry in front just stopped, in hindsight he was probably only doing about 20 miles an hour and I was charging straight into the back of it.

I slammed the breaks and pulled to the right to avoid it, while doing that the Golf in the next lane just avoided me a by a whisker same time I'm slamming beaks pulling back into the lane with lorry!!! was mental never felt so out of control in my life. If I had have touched either vehicle there would have been a serious accident on the motorway.

Will be driving with due care from now on, drove up to girls who I just avoided and said sorry but they gave off to me and rightly so, as I was at fault, totaly. I near shit myself :(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Black

Liam Neeson to play you in the film

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2013, 07:38:17 PM
Was nearly in a bad accident today on way to a match, was travelling towards Sandyknowles on the M2 to meet cousin to head on down to Ahoghill, was doing about 70 up that steep part before Sandyknowles turn off and it was as if the lorry in front just stopped, in hindsight he was probably only doing about 20 miles an hour and I was charging straight into the back of it.

I slammed the breaks and pulled to the right to avoid it, while doing that the Golf in the next lane just avoided me a by a whisker same time I'm slamming beaks pulling back into the lane with lorry!!! was mental never felt so out of control in my life. If I had have touched either vehicle there would have been a serious accident on the motorway.

Will be driving with due care from now on, drove up to girls who I just avoided and said sorry but they gave off to me and rightly so, as I was at fault, totaly. I near shit myself :(

Sonny's brother?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Eamonnca1

Never expect a lorry going up a hill to be doing 70

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 02, 2013, 07:48:49 PM

No never, in a day dream ffs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Remember one day having a near miss going to work in belfast myself, by the time i was in at work i was white as a sheet, had to go home early, think i suffered shock. It takes a near miss to get  a eye opener about driving carefully

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2013, 07:51:00 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 02, 2013, 07:48:49 PM

No never, in a day dream ffs!!
I have done similar. As I didn't see brake lights the morning head didn't trigger that the vehicle was almost stationary so like you I went steaming on ahead until it was almost too late!

qubdub

it's even worse when you're in the other car. have had one or two near misses on one particular stretch - road between moneymore/destermartin and tobermore. Cars love overtaking though there are a couple of brows that catch people out. not so much fun when theyre coming straight at you. always wary about that as some **** did similar to an aunt of mine and forced her off the road and down into a field, luckily survived with minor enough injuries.

thejuice

Had two near misses over the last ten years. One where I didn't notice the traffic stopped on the N2 ahead of me. Nearly went 70mph into the back of them. Left an inch of rubber on the road, burnt rubber smoke in the air. Next one was only last week. Just didn't stop on the line at a T-junction and nearly had the nose taken off me. Nearly had a heart attack.

I'd have to put them down to lack of sleep as I'm the worst in the world for working late and going in the morning 10 minutes after rolling out of bed with no breakfast. I know its bad but I'm the sort of ejit who puts work ahead of everything else.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2013, 07:38:17 PM

Glad to hear you got away with that one MR2. We now have one safer driver on the road.

The problem with cars is that until you've either had a near miss or a brush with the law then you think you are invincible. Whilst cars are becoming safer, they can still cause a lot of damage.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

I drove straight through the express lane barrier at the toll bridge in Portlaoise.

Luckily it was only made of soft foam.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on June 02, 2013, 08:22:25 PM
Had two near misses over the last ten years. One where I didn't notice the traffic stopped on the N2 ahead of me. Nearly went 70mph into the back of them. Left an inch of rubber on the road, burnt rubber smoke in the air. Next one was only last week. Just didn't stop on the line at a T-junction and nearly had the nose taken off me. Nearly had a heart attack.

I'd have to put them down to lack of sleep as I'm the worst in the world for working late and going in the morning 10 minutes after rolling out of bed with no breakfast. I know its bad but I'm the sort of ejit who puts work ahead of everything else.
A few weeks ago I drove clean through a junction heading to a wedding. The missus was yapping that we were gonna be late etc. etc. and with her in my ear and putting the foot down on a back road I was past the line at the T junction before I knew it. If a car had been passing it would have been carnage. The whole way through the wedding service I kept thinking about it and the real possibility that our wanes could have lost their parents at that point! :-[

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 02, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 02, 2013, 08:22:25 PM

A few weeks ago I drove clean through a junction heading to a wedding. The missus was yapping that we were gonna be late etc. etc. and with her in my ear and putting the foot down on a back road I was past the line at the T junction before I knew it. If a car had been passing it would have been carnage. The whole way through the wedding service I kept thinking about it and the real possibility that our wanes could have lost their parents at that point! :-[

Yeah it really is a shit one, the look on those girls faces as I tried to gain control of a Santa Fe!! Slamming brakes and trying to get control back was madness. I was thinking had I hit them and caused injury or worse is whats really annoying me

GJL

Cars are dangerous, of that there is no doubt but drivers are a lot more dangerous.  I have been a competitive rally driver for over 10 years with a bit of experience. I have my fair share of crystal but have also been through my fair share of hedges. The one thing I can say is that the steering wheel will get you out of a lot more trouble than the brake peddle. The average drivers instinct is to slam on the brakes, this is often where it goes wrong.

The one thing you need is awareness of what is ahead, use your eyes. Driving along thinking about a match or some bit of fluff will get you in trouble. If everyone concentrated on what they were doing there would be very few accidents.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on June 02, 2013, 09:07:34 PM
Cars are dangerous, of that there is no doubt but drivers are a lot more dangerous.  I have been a competitive rally driver for over 10 years with a bit of experience. I have my fair share of crystal but have also been through my fair share of hedges. The one thing I can say is that the steering wheel will get you out of a lot more trouble than the brake peddle. The average drivers instinct is to slam on the brakes, this is often where it goes wrong.

The one thing you need is awareness of what is ahead, use your eyes. Driving along thinking about a match or some bit of fluff will get you in trouble. If everyone concentrated on what they were doing there would be very few accidents.

Guilty on both counts ;)